Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Staffs Uni Dinosaur/Mech

A university project requires a prehistoric creature to be modeled, mechanical elements can be introduced, or a completely mechanized dinosaur can be designed and created.

For this project it was decided that a half organic, half hard surface model would be created to allow the model to show strengths in both areas.

The ankylosaurus dinosaur was chosen, as it is a well known armoured species from the prehistoric era.

The idea behind this choice was due to its link to weaponizing a dinosaur, why not use one that was already armoured!

A design sheet can be seen below:

silhouette.jpg

concept.jpg

Below Original Ref: http://ikechi1.deviantart.com/art/Ankylosaurus-200449289
concept2.jpg

These images were used to give a basic theme to the model, other reference sheets were created to allow a further understanding of mechanical shapes and form, and are on my university forum thread, showing the stages of development.

The following image shows the reference images used to create the base organic part of the model, main image reference : http://titanosaur.deviantart.com/art/Tosk-The-Ankylosaurus-179383498

BaseMesh_01.jpg

Since the base mesh was created, further additions were made to theme the creature more towards the "mech" aims at the beginning of the project, these changes can be seen below:

progrev.jpg

A few criticisms i have so far are that the spikes along the back and sides when viewed from above, show their original cube shape, using cylinders instead could fix this problem.

They spikes are instances of 2 seperate spikes, scaled and deformed to give a larger variety with a smaller UV space when texturing.

The original design to armour the creatures face will be scrapped, as it stops me being able to show organic detail that could be added in zBrush.

Also, some problems arose whilst creating this design, where the ammo cases were sitting over the hind legs behind the weapons, covering a huge area of what would have been sculpted muscle tone and scales for the creature, leaving even less organic surfaces on the model, therefore, this was removed.

However, the problem now arises as to the placement of the ammo chain from the side weapons, they could lead under the belly of the creature, or they could be edited to appear more Gauss Cannon like, or Railgun-esque, meaning no ammo crate, and even more futuristic themes!

What do you think?

Replies

• oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    you're using an dinosaur as reference, why not use real life armor/guns as ref?

plenty of cool military vehicles you can use for armor/weapon ideas. Right now you just have some random stuff placed on top of it. try and figure out how a person might use current fabrication methods and armor design to fit out a dinosaur.

At the same time you prolly should think about how this armor would affect the actual movement of the dino. Having miniguns on the side seem impractical because its based ont he direction the dino is facing. a 50 cal. mounted on top with a rotating turret would seem much more useful. like this sorta.

just examples of armor/weapon design to think about. since a human probably wouldn't ride one of these, in a sense it would be a drone like design.

stryker
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-gXbp4QyeYJo/TuUfaGplzyI/AAAAAAAAXKg/w1UX5palOEs/s1600/info2.jpg
    bradley
    http://www.wartoyz.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/80202-m3a2-bradley-460.jpg

btr-82
    http://www.defencetalk.com/pictures/data/4999/BTR-82.jpg
  • wolfonthehorizon
    I Agree with the above statement this Dino can only shoot in one direction !! making it abit more functional would really add to the character. Great even topology though i want to see this sculpted :)
  • Weazel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies :-)

I do agree that the side miniguns limits the maximum spread of fire, the prisms on top of the model (although not shown) currently open out into missile launchers, similar to SSM batteries, or SAM sites. This was the original aim under the name "artillery-saur" later changed as artillery is apparently not any long range ballistic weapon, only large caliber guns.

The tips towards using current military vehicles as reference, although valid does not fit with the "futuristic/sci-fi" art style in the brief :[

I have created a mood board on the desired mech style for the non organic sections (as well as research into horned lizards for the non organic) but will have to share it later tonight as im currently not on my home computer.

Btw if the miniguns were mounted on a spherical mechanism, this could solve the range of fire problem, the current placement of the weapons was meant to be abstract as the art style is sci-fi and im trying to steer clear of current military design. I'll post that mood board asap to give a better understanding (it was created last night so that today I could do further paintovers for brush detail based on the theme)

Im still toying with adding a metal gear rex style rail gun/nuke launcher instead of a minigun (to add assymetry)

Thanks again, lots more to look into for inspiration now :-)
  • Weazel
  • Weazel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I hope this gives a better understanding as to why the current mesh shows a smooth metal style, once in zbush after paintovers have been created, i hope to achieve the above style!

Ill post some paintovers on here, and if anyone feels the creativity juices flowing! have a go and make a suggestion or paintover i'm more than open to help with developments!
  • Weazel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some paintovers for sculpting stage...most of the dark lines will be indented, to give the appearance of plates of metal, i personally prefer the hexagon shapes, and the idea of air vents is seen throughout, nuts and bolts are always a given too!

paintoverfinal.jpg
  • Weazel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting and "finished" my sculpt today! it could do with some work, but i want to see the final result with textures asap to see what needs changing overall

heres some progress shots:

sculpting-1.jpg

unwrap-2.jpg

The unwrap needs arranging in the texture space, but thats a job for tomorrow, massive headache atm!!

Alphas - Ross Inglis (Hex) and mokthemagicman (dots)
  • wolfonthehorizon
    sculpt is going well but i would keep away from scultping in the red wax material and go for the grey it identifies changes in shape allot better, the scales i feel look abit to "perfect" if you know what i mean, too uniform almost as if they are placed on, needs some randomness, i would suggest looking at Cesar's tutorial on creating t-rex scales he uses the slash 3 brush to carve the scales, greg mentioned it in last weeks lecture , these are minor points by the way the overall effect is looking impressive :) keep it up mate
  • pangarang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pangarang polycounter lvl 11
    OMFG have you ever heard of Dino-Riders? It was my favorite cartoon as a kid and this totally took me back. As a result of being heavily biased in favor of mech + dinosaurs, finding any crits will be a difficult task, but I will try!

Head's looking a little too bumpy compared to the rest of the body. It's fine having details in the skin but to the point where it affects the silhouette might be a little too much.
  • darthwilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I gotta say! I love that unwrap :P nice distribution
  • Weazel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i have also felt that the head was a little over the top in terms of noise, it takes alot away from the rest of the body, which needs alot more detailing, i was watching a sculpting tutorial for dinosaur scales whilst sculpting this actually, they referred to Cesars techniques alot.

Ill give a go at using the slash 3 tool, and some cuts to add a bit more non uniform detail, especially in the leg area as it seems massively under detailed in comparison to the head.

I have heard of dino riders, it was one of my reference sheets on my university forum thread :) i really want to watch it but cant find it in any shops!

Hi Scott thanks for the comment =] this isnt actually representing the final unwrap resolutions as i had to fit it within the texture space, it was all over the shot, also lot of the seams were removed today!

Heres a print screen of the projection with several (but not all) fixes to xNormals map generation:

normals.jpg

Thanks for the feedback everybody, glad your enjoying the progress =]

I hope to begin the diffuse, add more detail to the legs (maybe some cuts and wires under the skin?) and calm the facial detail a little, it might be worth posting a picture of my original head sculpt to give an idea of where it began, as it was a lot worse than it is currently, the top was similar to the bottom!

Until tomorrow!
  • darthwilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm curious on a few things and maybe some things you could try out..

Try multiple bakes in 3ds Max and xNormal (how do you calculate your distances in xNormal?)

Test your normal maps in your game engine (UE3/CE3/Marmoset) as you have it in Max from the looks of it. Most likely it will look different in engine

What size of texture maps are you allowed?
  • Weazel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im currently working with 2048, ive also realised this can support alot more triangle data, so ive gone and updated the organic areas of the model (left the shell for now)

sculpt2.jpg

The model is being aimed at use for animation with UDK so ill be testing the normals there soon! Ill throw some screens up once ive tested UDK (although the model wont be using lightmaps as it will be dynamically lit, so it might look a bit sketchy)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've gone off course a bit and strayed from the reference.

The base mesh was pretty lumpy and you didn't take the time in the beginning to really push the anatomy where it needed to be before you sub-divided and rushed to the tiny details. Because of this it lacks weight and definition.

The last image is a HUGE red flag. You put human heels on a dinosaur, 90% of the animal kingdom walk around on their toes with their heels in the air. This particular dinosaur is no different... especially in the front "feet" which are arms like the rest of the animal kingdom.
    euoplocephalus.skeleton.jpg

As you study creatures you'll find that there are a lot of similarities even though they look drastically different on the outside, birds have arms adapted for flying, same joints same digits nothing drastically different from humans or other animals except their proportions. What people mistake for a backwards knee in the legs, is actually just a raised and elongated heal in most animals. Bear are more like humans in that they actually walk heal to toe, and because of it they run really really funny when compared to other animals.

Elephant feet would be a better study than human feet. Elephants walk around on their toes also. Even though their leg looks like a massive tree stump they walk on their toes with their heals elevated. There is a big fatty pad under the heel as a shock absorber but most of the weight/locomotion is borne by the toes.

So when you think, dinosaur feet are just like my feet, they walk heel to toe just like I do! You're way off and need to study the subject a bit more.

A simple anatomy error like this is going to be harder and harder to fix the deeper you get. Which is why its so important to block in the big stuff early on and really dig into the research side of things.

Don't feel too bad, a lot of people mistake front appendages for legs, and assume human feet are the basis for all animal feet.
  • Weazel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the heads up on that mistake, i based the mesh off of "TOSK" concept art, and must have misinterpreted it, also i didnt look into elephant and rhino legs which are similar to the subject, its alot more stylised in the propotions as you can see with the HUGE hind legs and feet in general, ill see what fixes i can do for the creature in terms of editing the rear feet!

thanks again =]
  • Weazel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the critique way back when! i changed the sructure of the rear heels, to try and divert from human anatomy and represent the creatures bone structure.

Since the last post a new projection was completed, diffuse maps were created, the miniguns have been textured and everything was animated and exported to engine.

To make the game asset work animsets, animtrees, physics assets and various codes were created/edited allowing the creature to be playable within UDK

The following video shows the Breakdown:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G52HZQYOYZM"]Artillery-Saur Breakdown - YouTube[/ame]

If you want to help test the creature and post feedback here, download the .exe below (requires UDK 2011-08 or higher):

http://www.gamefront.com/files/21598455/Artillery_saur.rar

the more critique the better i'm looking forward to continuing with this creature after May, so ill keep tabs on this thread, untill then please check my other polycount post about surrealism in games:

http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98164
  • Weazel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feedback from UDK Forums were helpful, the animations were bashful and over exaggerated (but they seemed to like that i think - i aimed to make it fun and slightly "cartoony" for use of a better word)

The shader needs working on, as at the moment it literally just plugs a few maps into places, uses fresnel for rim lighting etc (emulated metallic shine)

Any testing of the product from the download link supplied would be amazing

thanks
  • Weazel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi! Anyone have any further feedback , recommendations etc im doing a final review video and comparison to a peers work this week, so i want to know what the wonderful users of polycount truthfully think =]

thank you all!