Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP M2 Browning

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ahktang polycounter lvl 5
Hello all. This is my first post on the p&p board. I'm looking for critique on this heavy machine-gun model. This model is being created for an Alien Swarm mod, so that's the basic target spec. I haven't moved onto texturing yet as I still have some work to do on the model itself.

I haven't made any modern firearms before, so there's a lot of learning going into this piece. right now the rivets are taking up a significant portion of my polygon count, without them, the model drops from 6150 triangles to 4806.

Thanks in advance for any crit.

hmgwipocc.jpg

hmgwipwires.jpg

Replies

• ahktang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahktang polycounter lvl 5
    I've begun work on the textures and I'd love any and all critiques that you feel like throwing my way.

This is my first time trying to texture a gun, and it's been sort of a challenge to get things looking correct.

HMGtexure.jpg
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Your material doesn't really read as metal to me - I would darken the base material, lower the gloss value, lower the spec value a bit and really think about your grime/scratch placement. Study reference pictures for texturing as well, not just modelling!

E: here's a quick paintover I did, just with default brushes (sans the scratches)

That sorta 'smudgy' and 'oily' look can really bring metal to life - study reference pictures for more advice :D

examplegf.jpg
  • 16bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    16bit polycounter lvl 13
    Alien Swarm? Valve's free Source engine game? If that's the case then the rivets are just additional detail that will probably never be seen.

When I modeled my M2, I just let the texture do it.

newm2.png

Also goes for the barrel, the modeled in holes makes it look blocky and polygonal and increases the polygon count.

My only critique is the M2's body looks fat, it's supposed to be thinner than the part of the barrel that has the holes in it.

If you have L4D2, valve has an in game M2 that you can study.