Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Adam's Triceratops slave/war beast.

Hello, hello

Well, this is my first thread here upon this forum, and I hope it'll be a good one :D

So, for one of my modules at uni I have been tasked with creating a game ready dinosaur to stick in UDK

The tri limit is 12,000, and I will be running this thread along to get some welcome tips and head up from you lot, and to keep me on track.

The idea behind this particular creature is a slave/warbeast in a similar style to Warhammer 40,000 ork, more specifically the Ork Squiggoth:
squiggoth.jpg

For now I'm concentrating on getting the base triceratops right, and then making the armour/gun platform. I chose this way because the main focus is creating a realistic looking dinosaur, any thing else is nice, but not essential.

The below image is what I used for modelling reference:
triceratops.jpg

The base mesh:
basemesh.jpg

Some Zbrush progress, the scales are just marked out for now, but they will be be defined in the next work session for this module.
zbrushprogress1.jpg

note: when it comes to my retopology, I think I'll aim for a 8,000/4,000 tri split between the body and armour plates respectively.

Anyway, thankyou for reading and I hope to have more progress soon :D

Replies

• krimzondestiny
    Pretty good start. However, Before I go into adding any more textural details such as scales, I would put more work into the basic structural details. From the second reference image, there seems to be some skin/fat rolls at the base of the legs and down the length of the neck.

Also, the spinal cord juts out more, and tapers off at the base of the tail. Speaking of jutting, the sides jut out. There's a crease between the belly and the ribs.

One last thing, The scales would come out better by using brushes with alphas, instead of sculpting them freehand. You can actually find some scales alphas. But, that should be toward the last leg of sculpting, on a higher subdivision level.

Good luck man... lol!!!
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    specsowl polycounter lvl 6
    Oh man this is going to be great. Maybe one suggestion though would be to put the back toes closer together? The Triceratops has very hoof-like feet and the one you have is individual toes, which makes it look a little awkward. Can't wait to see what comes of this though!
  • Adz Grant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, sorry I've not done much work on this and I missed your comments.

But now I've read them, I'll definitely take them into my next session. thanks guys :D

here is the model as it stands:
    zbrushprogress2.jpg
    Juggling this with my Fyp, I'm not sure about how much armour/scrap I can do justice, but it may be little more than metal horn ends, saddle and maybe a co-axial gun.

Next time, I'll work on bringing the toes, and the hips.

Cheers again, guys :D
  • Adz Grant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hello again, time for one of my rare updates on this.

well with little under a month left for this and everything else uni related, i've had to drop any and all armour or accessories.
    however, i am in the process now of finnishing up various maps and making it look presentable in UDK.after which will come rigging with a walk and still animation.

here is the diffuse and a quick grab from UDK as is:
    specularmap00.jpg
    progressshot.jpg

i'm pretty happy with the diffuse as is, perhaps a little touch up work here and there (if you see anything, please, do shout out :D )

also here is my inspiration for the colours;
    Sand_Lizard_Sefton.jpg
    I wanted a very vibrant colour for this guy, it is just so much more fun to look at.

also the green made somewhat sense, imagining that this herbivore would be in a region full of vegetation. I played around with using the head plate for some sort of warning markings, or fake eyes (see: peacocks tail), but I couldn't get it to quite work right. in the end, I like this go faster stripe

[edit] I've taken in the back thighs a fair bit, however with the toes, I'm going to bring them in through the rigging. it was simpler for sculpting, retoping and texturing to leave them spread out as they are.