Home› General Discussion

Build a Female Character With Me?

Replies

• Daelus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sent a pm. Definitely something to watch regardless, should be interesting to see what everyone involved builds.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    This sounds awesome. Hopefully it gives other people the same idea to do something similar. The first thing my friend said when he saw it was "I wish someone was doing this for environments."

As someone who loves doing Female characters but has lately struggled, this could be a good opportunity if I can dedicate the time. I suppose there's no harm applying anyway with that caveat.

Either way this should be interesting to follow. It could be like a Polycount reality show, the whole community following the progress of everyone in the group. Everyone sending in audition videos, etc.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    0.0, great initiative
    pm sent
  • guenna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    guenna polycounter lvl 5
    Hope hope hope... may be good luck will smile on me
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Woah, this is an awesome opportunity! Sending PM ...Good luck!
  • KonstantinL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KonstantinL polycounter lvl 6
    I would love to be a part of this as well! :)
  • Arkadius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Arkadius polycounter lvl 13
    Nice! Nice to still see you around Divine!

I can't wait to see what you and your new minions conjure!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    Holy Moly - thanks for all the interest guys and girls, I'm totally blown away!

Shadownami: Thanks for pointing that out, I'll make a note of that - it wont matter which software you use, you will be able to use whatever is most comfortable to you :)

Fryght: Good question! There are no solid rules to the spec's right now, - but it will be fairly high poly counts and texture budget. Something similar to a main hero character from resident evil etc, so there will definitely be normal maps involved and a sculpting pass yes :) Topology in my experience is something that changes from rigger / animator to rigger animator. Ive worked with a few, and theyve all liked diferent little ways to handle things, generally speaking though good topology is always vital.

Rai: Its definitely not for beginners unfortunately. If you're have trouble putting a complete character through a typical 'next generation' pipeline, then this would definitely not be for you. But you raise a good point, ill update the first post with a few more details.

Frump: HAHAH!!! Audition videos, damn man why didnt I think of that!!

It's definitely not going an easy task to pick 3-5 people from all the candidates, seriously theres too much awesomeness!

Im thinking on Wednesday 22nd Feb I will make a shortlist, list that in here, and then on Saturday 25th list the 5. Would anyone object to that ?
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    I definitely would not mind :) Thanks again for doing all of this man :)
  • vivin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vivin polycounter lvl 11
    ah man, you shouda made the cutoff after the first page XD
    I'm curious at the number applied haha.. must be a fair few :)

Good luck to all of those who entered :D

On a side note, whats the chance other awesome pro's step up and hold small workshops/mentoring things like these? That would be most awesome
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Considering there's no "proper" audition or whatnot, I'm not entirely sure what the benefit of posting shortlist would be. If it was a contest and you were like "here's your Top 10. Stay tuned for the winner's" or "Each of these people has to accomplish X over the weekend and the most impressive one's win" than it would make sense. But as it's just you saying "I like these people, on the 25th I'll tell you who I like more" than I don't really see the point.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    it's not who he'd like more, surely. it's probably more who he thinks could benefit the most from it?
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't mean who he literally likes more, but who he'd like in the workshop.
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate you giving us a timeline as to when you'll be making your decision. Thank you very much for that consideration :)
  • venain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    venain polycounter lvl 12
    This is a very awesome thing you're doing, and I'm sure no matter who gets picked, in the end, all polycount users will benefit from it.

About the short list, what would be the goal of posting this? For other people to chime in on who should be included? I'm personally fine with it, however, I think it may just get some folks hopes up that don't end up making it.

Thanks for doing this, and I can't wait to see the results of these models:)
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Great Idea. I would also love to see progress or documentation of this! Would love to participate but don't think I have enough finished next-gen characters :) Good luck guys!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool Okay! Point taken, you're right! No shortlist :)

Unfortunately I wont be able to respond to all of the applicants, but thanks for taking the time to apply, you can bet ive read each and every one of your pm's - you've all totally blown me away with how many are interested!

The cutoff for applications is the 22nd of February, and the people that are chosen will be notified on the 25th of Feb.

I'll update the first post to reflect this!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Good luck everyone! This isn't my cup of tea but it sounds like a fuggin' awesome opportunity. I want to see everyones' progress!
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got too shitty folio anyway :(
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
    This is pretty damn cool I'm no character artist but I'm interested to see what happens
  • duoxan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    duoxan polycounter lvl 17
    not a character artist either, but this is quite possibly one of the coolest things ive seen since ive been a lurker here. this is pretty rad of you hazardous, and im sure we will all gain something from this. genuine thanks man!
  • freakmean16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a ton man....really in some dire need to learn how to model female chars!!!!gonna PM you right now!!!!
  • Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
    Sent a PM, this sounds like fun!
  • Tadao215
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tadao215 polycounter lvl 13
    PMed you, looking forward to this!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Wow very cool idea Haz, especially that you're doing it for free! I'm very curious what the applicant results are gonna look like...
    If this goes well it sounds like something I'd like to do for vehicles perhaps; the idea of being able to select promising students with potential sounds great compared to my previous job, where most of them were just hopeless..
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Oh man what an opportunity. Good luck everyone and thanks Haz.
  • areve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! definitely giving this a try :)
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Great initiative Hazardous!

If the guys who participate during this, document there work it would be pretty helpful to everyone else.

Consider it practice for when your in a job ;)
  • SSquir33
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SSquir33 polycounter lvl 12
    sounds dope. im too noob with next gen but am sure itll be a learning exp up for all
  • Digital Cantina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Digital Cantina polycounter lvl 11
    I am in no way good enough to apply but I cant wait to see what comes out. Great idea Haz!
  • ablaine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ablaine polycounter lvl 14
    Sounds like an amazing opportunity! Sent a pm today. :)
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Would like to participate, but got no folio.
    I hope there will be some recordings or something :)
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is awesome. I think its pretty awesome that your taking the time to help other people improve like that. Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome idea.

document this!
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome! I'd love to participate, but wont have enough spare time to do it properly. :(
    Soooo.. if you'd document everything, you'd make me a very, very happy squirrel. Happy as in "I'll gladly pay for that documentation.".
  • PDC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PDC polygon
    Sorry for the last minute PM, i've been away all weekend. Cant wait to hear more about this!
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    so whos the final vote gonna be there eh Simon?

american-idol-judges-275x358.jpg

Polycount Idol is waiting.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    tumblr_lekgjwNjMN1qg0rnuo1_500.jpg
    I wager 400 quatloos on the newcomer.
  • RemX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im very much up for it. Im about to land a job at a game studio in sweden as a cgi artist but a need to improve my game character skills. So this came like a miracle from above :)

Here is my folio -> http://remxxx.cgsociety.org/gallery/
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for sending in your pm's!!

I'm no longer taking applications.

I have to say again its been overwhelming how many people are willing to put in some time for this, so thank you.

I'll be contacting the 'team' by this Saturday, I want to reply to everyone but it would seriously take me weeks - so please dont think I ingnored you if you dont hear from me!

If this goes well, I will more than likely do this again!
  • Tigerfeet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you again Hazardous for the opportunity to learn from you, and good luck everybody!

Bar%20Exam%20Lolcats%20Facebook%20Abovethelaw%20Above%20the%20Law%20blog.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Let us know who got in, I'm curious :)
  • wretchedgoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wretchedgoat polycounter lvl 8
    This is so much awesome:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Can't wait to see where this goes. Good luck everyone!
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    Why cant we have this for enviroments? If only I did characters I would join. :)
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    1) Show me your folio.
    2) Explain to me why I should choose you to take part

lol Seriously?

See this is exactly why I stopped taking part in such up coming group projects or group learning paths / projects / mini comps, comps, contests, etc.

It is ok if you work in some game studio that promises you something in return like an intern job, or promises you that even if you dont have any experience, you will learn from the team work and see how things are done in a project.

It really sucks when others people who are learning / have some to alot of experience and want to share the tip with the rest, asking them to show their portfolio and tell you why they want to be a part of it.

Isnt it obvious why we should take part in your "learning expo that requires some kick ass portfolio?"

Wouldnt you ignore the part of "portfolio," and judge us based on our final work from the first female model?

I see many threads like this today on Polycount, where Polycount suppose to be "A LEARNERS' DOMAIN." If this is so, this community will soon come to an end and all you will see here are people with kick ass portfolio, not the people who are here to learn. Because than people like you, will force this website to defeat its purpose.

Right now, this is just unfair because;

firstly; such threads are suppose to be under the request section of the forums,

secondly; Asking portfolios while not offering much but studying / learning how to make a female model together defeats its sole purpose. That is (LEARNING HOW TO CREATE A FEMALE CHARACTER, TOGETHER!!!)

And lastly; No one have to explain to you why should they be picked for your learning expo, since they joined this community for this very reason and you should know the answer.

If you want to have this in general, make general demands (like; must have the software that you are working with so everyone who wants to know what you are doing can follow along) and allow everyone to participate in it. Otherwise, go and request for high pros in request section.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
    A free class, with a reasonably manageable class size for a single individual to be able to maintain while working full time.

I see this as a good thing personally.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This reminds me of the Game Artisan days.

Delightful to have your input Nitewalkr!

Allow me to clarify some things for you, and for anyone else that may be wondering because I agree, it can come off as rather elitist that I'm making these requests :)

I asked to see folios because:

1) I am looking for people who have attempted to create females, but whom I think need more aesthetic help to push their females to a new level, as this is what my course is focussing on the most.

2) I needed to check whether the artist has examples that show an understanding of a next gen pipeline. High Poly sculpting, baking, textures, retopo etc etc.

Unfortunately what I'm offering is not a step by step 'how to use zbrush to create a female sculpt' or how to use max to bake normal maps. I'ts a course that focuses on progressively building up aesthetics and how that fits into the whole proceedure from beginning to end.

I dont want to waste anyones time, so if they cant show they understand the technical side of things, they will struggle with this course, and it will waste both their and my time.

Having said that, godlike artists dont need my help! So seeking 'high pros' like you mentioned would probably only benefit me heh.

Regarding placing this thread in the appropriate place, I initially asked where it should be placed, and if it was in the wrong place for it to be moved. I'd leave that for the admins to decide :)

Lastly, I asked for an explanation why they think they should be chosen, because I will be working directly one on one with these candidates in a more hands on fashion for roughly 8 weeks, and I want an insight into their personalities before we get all cosy :)

TLDR: The course is not for everyone, I needed to check to make sure the candidates could cope and most importantly would benefit from what I'm offering - apologies if it came across as elitist jerkism - it wasnt meant to.
  • vivin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vivin polycounter lvl 11
    Oh wow, i dont think i could disagree more with what Nitewalkr said.

@Hazardous- I think the majority of PC knew your intentions was pure
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah there really isn't any need to justify your requests. at the end of the day you're a professional, the majority of people applying are non-professional and looking for help. your time is both valuable and costly. so if you're going to be putting considderable time and effort into a project like this, with 1 to 1 mentoring etc. than it's important that you know the people you're helping are going to be just as dedicated to the task.

not to mention that reviewing peoples portfolios is a way of making sure you filter out people who are already above the curve, rather than those who're below it.

i don't see the issue here.