Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female game character (WIP)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
DBetts polycounter lvl 5
Hi everyone I am currently working on a female character for a university project. If anyone could help with crits and suggestions on how to improve it this would be greatly appreciated. Here is a base mesh I have made, is there anything that will cause me problems in ZBrush? Or am I good to go?

basemesh_collection.jpg

Replies

• Conrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hi there it looks pretty efficient for zbrush and looking good the only things i would say are the knees cud cause u probs and theres a few triangles in there zbrush no likey triangles :) but other than that :thumbup:
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    The hand geo is going to cause some pinching. This causes problems sculpting in zbrush. Hands are particularly bad for this because they are pretty detailed areas.

I would suggest removing the strange geo -- any poles, any triangles, and elongated strips. Try for all quads, all the same size, so that everything is uniform when you divide. If you have to hide a couple triangles, try to hide them on top of the hand, in the flat space between your knuckles and your wrist.

Good luck.
  • DBetts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DBetts polycounter lvl 5
    hey thanks for the feedback. I checked and there isnt any tris or ngons on the mesh but with the hands and feet there are some oddly shaped quads (struggled a bit with this). I'll try spacing these out evenly and create regular shaped polys.
  • DBetts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DBetts polycounter lvl 5
    Conrad, I've spaced out the loops more evenly on the knees that you spotted. Cheers.

ysalex, I can't figure out a way of creating even sized regular quads on the hands without getting rid of the spaces between the fingers which creates a nasty pole. Here's a closer look with a paintover to show the problem, mainly how the subdivision below the middle pole creates a diamond shaped quad.
    Basemesh_hand.jpg

Paintovers are welcome if it is easier to explain that way too.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    I don't think you should worry so much about the topology yet. You should focus on making the model look anatomically correct for now. Once the anatomy looks alright you can always export it back to max/maya, fix the topology and then re-export it back to zbrush to add details and what not. Fix the proportions and shapes for now.
    Take a look at some anatomy pictures on google or this site;
    http://inspirationalartworks.blogspot.com/p/anatomy-images.html?zx=da6df82a366cf318
  • Phil101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At this stage its really your call on how much detail you add. As long as your base mesh doesn't instantly trigger common sense into thinking it looks generally wrong you should be fine to progress to sculpt.

I personally prefer to have lots of detail in my base mesh just since max is easy enough to do hi poly stuff and once you have the information there for the sculpt there is less to do at that stage and you get more bang for your buck when you subdivide it.

Just remember to have spacing between edge loops as even as you can get it and ignore the base mesh tri limit that's only for the retop mesh. I have seen people get confused with that before.
  • DBetts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DBetts polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for the advice Goraaz and Phil101 I didn't really think about it that way I was thinking more about what problems I may encounter due to bad topology and an easier re-top later on. I have some good references and have been using them for the general rules of anatomy as this is supposed to be for a realistic character, but was unsure about just how much detail I should go into in 3DMax. It's probably best to say it's ready for some sculpting unless any wrong anatomy jumps out at the moment? Here's a couple of updated images for you.
    basemesh_orthographic.jpg
    basemesh_orthographic2.jpg
  • DBetts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DBetts polycounter lvl 5
    It's been a while since I last posted so prepare to be photobombed (sorry!).

Here is a sculpt of the character, is there anything that looks weird/ can be improved/ I've missed out?

Any comments are appreciated, thanks.

sculpt_06.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG][/img]sculpt_07.jpg
    [IMG][/img]sculpt_08.jpg
    [IMG][/img]sculpt_09.jpg
    [IMG][/img]sculpt_10.jpg
    [IMG][/img]sculpt_11.jpg
    [IMG][/img]sculpt_12.jpg
    [IMG][/img]sculpt_13.jpg
    [IMG][/img]sculpt_14.jpg
    [IMG][/img]sculpt_15.jpg
    [IMG][/img]sculpt_16.jpg
    [IMG][/img]sculpt_04.jpg
    [IMG][/img]sculpt_05.jpg
    [IMG]so yeah any thoughts and opinions from the polycount community is greatly appreciated :)[/img]
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    It's not fun, but the best way to check your model is to simply overlay a photograph on top of it, and see what you got wrong. This is also a very good way to learn, because it forces you to recognize the areas you have problems with.

I'll do this one for you, but really this is something you can (should) do on your own. Honestly, this is something I am trying to force myself to do more and more.
    5bs284.png
    The arms are a bit too short, the shoulders a bit too wide, and breasts too high, but overall not bad. Some of your shapes need work, though. Compare your model's arms to the real person's arms.
  • DBetts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DBetts polycounter lvl 5
    hey dirigible thanks for the feedback that's a good idea to overlay a photo I'll have to do that from now on. It's easy to see which areas are off.
    I like the fact you recognised the references chosen, that must mean it's getting there!
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    I'd like to say I could recognize stuff like that, but really Aneta is just my default female reference. It was only after I started making that image that I realized you were probably using her as reference too - things were matching up so well.