Home Technical Talk

Sandbox to CryENGINE 3 SDK

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Wesley polycounter lvl 13
Hey folks, I've started making an environment using the Sandbox editor and only recently read how it doesn't support DirectX11, and therefore I can't do parallax occlusion. I was kinda keen on getting parallax occlusion working.

So, in short, will the level I created using Sandbox open up and work in the CryENGINE 3 SDK? And do they pretty much work the same way? I've spent a fair while watching those CryENGINE DVDs from Eat3D and it'd be a shame if that info was lost.

If both of those answers are "yes" then I'll go grab myself a copy of Crysis 2 I suppose!

Replies

• Computron
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    I think they work seamlessly, for most features, but you should pick up crysis 2 on principle. It's a good ass game. I don't usually replay games, but I replayed crysis 2 about 4 times.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers man. I've looked around and it's cheap anyway, so I may as well pick it up and switch. Especially seeing as I've only just started my environment.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Actually, it's cheapest on Origin. Buying it on Origin still gets me the SDK right?
  • e-freak
    yepp, although you need to change the folder structure very slightly as they put a copyright symbol into the folder name which needs to be replaced with a "(R)". The sandbox doesnt like copyright symbols in filenames.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    That's awesome, cheers for the help!
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so this didn't work. I open up the Sandbox Editor 3 and try to load one of the .cry levels I created in the 3.3.7 build and nothing happens? It just kicks me back to the editor without - seemingly - trying to load it.
  • Drew++
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
    Which engine is the environment you've made already running on? CE3, or CE3?
    Any version of the Sandbox editor for CryEngine 3 should support parallax occlusion mapping, in both DirectX 9 and DirectX 11.
    -Do you mean tessellation? Only DirectX 11 supports tessellation.
    -The mod SDK for Crysis 2 has support for DirectX 11, and tessellation.
    Otherwise, for POM
    -Do you have your height map in the alpha channel of your normal map?
    -Make sure you have "Parallax occlusion mapping" checked under "Shader Generation Params" in the material editor.

Hope this clears things up :3
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    I was wanting to transfer the environment from the free SDK 3.3.7 to the SDK that comes with the Crysis 2 game. This doesn't seem to work. I wanted to do this so I could maybe use some DirectX11 features like tessellation.

But in all honesty I think being able to maybe just switch to 3.3.9 for POM would probably be all I needed anyway...
  • ParoXum
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    you could save all your vegetation and lighting presets to files, do the same with your layers, then copy all the mtl and models from one version to the other, and import back the data.

It should work opening a map from a previous version to a newer one, I did it in the past (licensee to free SDK engine), the only thing that was fucked up was the terrain, that you can easily recreate with a heightmap.
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help ParoXum, it's good that it's pretty simple. After finishing my environment I might give it a go just to play with tessellation and other DX11 goodness. Thanks guys.
  • [HP]
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    The new build of the FreeSDK is out. There's no DX11 (Tesselation) yet, but you can use POM already! :)