Home Technical Talk

Max - Network files won't open

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
leechdemon polycounter lvl 11
My boss changed our network settings recently, and while I still have full access to everything I had before, now I'm unable to open files inside of max. For example, I can copy a file to my desktop and open it, so I'm certain I have read access. However, I can't do a file-open inside of Max on the exact same file.

Our old network locations read like this:
  • network/foldername/myfile.max
And now they're reading like this:
  • 10.1.1.5/foldername/myfile.max
This was mostly just inconvenient for awhile, but now I'm working on files that were built using xRefs, and I can no longer access any of them. It's become SUPER complicated getting those files opened. Anyone know about this?

Replies

• poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    tell him to fix the network - it ain't max's fault

fwiw I always map a network drive and work off that because it allows you to transfer data to different machines and only have to change the mapping. if the rest of your team map the same letter all the references stay intact any everybody remains happy.
  • leechdemon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leechdemon polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, it's one of the many things we go back and forth on. He swears nothing's changed, but I have everything on auto-login, so it's not me, either. I also noticed I can drag-and-drop open, but still not file-open. Go figure.

Drive-letter makes a lot of sense... then, even if the change was from NETWORKNAME/stuff to 10.1.1.5/stuff, it'd still end up in J:/stuff. Good idea.