Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Small Modular Chapel

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ladyknowles polycounter lvl 7
Yup, you guessed it, another church! :D

I have a university project to make a modular environment in 3 weeks. I have chosen to do a church (Didn't realise they were so popular until after I started!)

Polycount limit is 15,000.

I just started using Zbrush so please go easy on me if my sculpting isn't up to scratch! :) I have 2 weeks left to finish this.

A quick setup in UDK:

11awbyg.jpg

r8uhef.jpg

2lm5clf.jpg

Screenshots from Maya:

30w9yr8.jpg
jf8emb.jpg

And my start in Zbrush:

zbrush_practice_by_teenagephoenix-d4plv8m.jpg

Replies

• Bart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice start :)
    Here are few crits.
    Your floor is a bit too high in tri count. You could get a very simmilar outcome by just tiling your texture on a less dense floor and make 2 small meshes of stone slabs that would be intersected with it in random places. That will give you a simmilar result of the stones being pushed up with alot less geometry. Alternatively you could setup some bump offset using a heightmap in the UDK shader.
    Also try to think of how you could reuse the texture space with all the stone work and pillars. Sculpting is fun but it requires unique uv space for each pillar/stone structure. A simple tilable texture with the use of multi sub-object materials on different meshes does the job pretty well. Have a look here. This might help you http://www.matroskinworks.com/3d_ruins.html
    Would like to see some more :)
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much Bart, I totally agree and have tried to apply what you have said. Still need to add some individual tiles sticking up but now its just a plane. Can't believe I had all those tris on the floor, what was I THINKING?!

Do you think the tiles look too big? I struggle with scale a lot :)

Everythings in UDK unwrapped now with the normal maps I have applied.

27y8h08.jpg

212uvef.jpg

2cdh2m0.jpg

egtqjb.jpg
  • strobelite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love those arches! Personally, I think the tiles should be smaller :)
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    I like how this is progressing! I do agree with strobelite that the tiles should be a tad bit smaller.

I am very curious about your workflow from Maya to UDK. A big mistake on my deus ex scene was not doing a proper block out in maya. It always seemed like more work than it needed to be. For example for the arches, when you did the blockout did you just pick one to unwrap and export to udk?

Sorry if it is worded weird.
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    Hi!

I think your scene has some really interesting architecture, and I'm excited to see where it goes.

I agree that the tiles on the floor could be a little smaller.

I also think that there could be a little bit more detail on the pews, like little shelves where they'd have bibles, or maybe some dents and cracks from people kicking them/moving them around?

I also think that your edges are a little sharp on some of your columns which is a tiny bit distracting, and I think you could benefit from softening it.

I'm excited to see more!
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @strobelite Thankyou :) I struggled to make them and first! And great, I'll change them :D

@biofrost Wow man I'm flattered you like my scene, your Deus Ex piece is in my inspiration folder :)

I did it in a strange way. I started learning zbrush and made the wall normal. Then I did a semi blockout to see where things needed to be (everything is in the power of 2). Then I made High polys of some things and placed them in the scene to see how it looked. Then I realised the proportions were all of so I redid the scale. When I was happy with everything I imported it all to UDK. I've set up most of the normals in my content browser and just placed a white texture on everything so I can replace it when I make the texture :)

Sorry that was so long! Hah! Thank you man :D

@GragGunslinger Thank you, glad you like the architecture, I thought it was bit boring so you've given me hope :) I'm going to bake the columns today so that should get rid of those drasted edges :)
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    good work so far, you've improved massively since your last scene, i'm going to be watching this :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    this is coming along, looks like the middle top arches need something under them to keep em up.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    can you show some reference for what you're going for? not really seeing how this is that modular when you're doing custom sculpts for an entire pillar. also, might consider making the floor a bit more detailed/modular friendly with some unique path/stone work. that way its not the same old huge tiles all over the place.

Victorian-Church-Floor-Restoration-Sudbury-Derbyshire-094.jpg
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    i think my biggest problem are the benches, theyre really thin on the z axis and they are rotated weirdly, I'd have them placed facing the front.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Chimp Thanks for saying I've improved :D I've straightened the benches and will work on them a bit more soon.

@oobersli I understand what you mean and I've planned to add a carpet down the center of the room. I've posted my ref sheets below.

@Alberto Rdrgz I agree that they need something to hold them up, I'll work on it as soon as I get a chance!

I've done the floor texture! Very eye opening :) I used the process Orb did on his crasher work, painted it mostly myself and use some texture in overlay layers.

Added the windows in but really thinking of making them more interesting.

Added some detail to the arches with a normal and I've worked on the lighting a bit more!

2lvzh2u.jpg
    28w1p2v.jpg
    21voyu.jpg
    2j2fal0.jpg
    24lmnvc.jpg
    nv88ll.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    This is looking really nice, I love the initial lighting set-up you have with the blockout scene :)

If you are having trouble scaling things, try plonking a few Ironguard Skeletal Meshes at key points throughout the scene to better judge sizes against humans.

I can't wait to see more.

*Subscribed*
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like the latest update, but your tiles look like something that would be better suited outdoors, based on all the damage and wear.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SirCalalot I think I will do what you said. I thought that three 32x32x32 blocks stacked up = a players height but obv. I was wrong! :P Thanks so much for saying you like it, I am a great admirer of your work!

@Alberto Rdrgz Thank you man! I totally agree. I can honestly say the floor has been my biggest problem so far. I will sort it out if I have the time!

Updates, please ignore the hideous arch texture. I've been trying to use an emissive texture with a dominant directional light to get the patterns of the windows on the floor, but I can't get it to work! :(

veskmr.jpg
    idf95g.jpg
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added a carpet down the center and started some work on the arches properly! I really want to get the lighting blue through the windows (which aren't finished), but don't know how to do this since I can only get the emissive plane white. Anyone got any pointers?

2ladnvr.jpg

ab77k9.jpg

15x1wrn.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aww, thanks @ladyknowles :)

With regards to your problem, the Lightmass section on the UDN has some good information on Translucent Shadows.

Although it is not entirely clear...
    UDN wrote:
    BLEND_Translucent and BLEND_Additive: Transmission = Lerp(White, Diffuse, Opacity)
    BLEND_Modulate: Transmission = Diffuse

... Looks like the colour and intensity of the shadows from your windows would be derived from the Diffuse and Opacity values (and not the Emmissive) with the light coming behind it. Make sure that the material is set to Two-Sided and your lighting would have to be baked before you see any effect.
    Failing that, you could always create a copy of your window material and assign it as a Light Function on a SpotlightToggleable or SpotlightMovable that would project the effect where you want! (Just make sure to set the "Use as Light Function" to 'on' inside the Mutually Exclusive Usage tab in the material's main Properties.)

EDit: I forgot to mention that this is coming along well! :D
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    the scale is all off, it doesn't feel homely enough to be a tiny chapel, and it feels too small to be a cathedral, your reference has a lot of cathedrals and large rooms, but you are building something much smaller.
    i owuld either expand this while you are still early into production, or gather better references, and try to make it feel less poorly scaled.

by bad scale i mean things are too chunky, to squat, flat, etc.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks SirCalalot! Big help :) I ended up using an emissive texture on a plane behind the windows, but they're far from finished yet xD Thanks so much for saying you like it. I'm starting to hate it to be honest, just want to move onto somehting else!

@Rick_D Yes I totally agree with what you've said. If I had more time I would totally take this apart and try to use the assets I've made to make something a bit more grand. I'm afraid I only have 2 days left to finish. I have learnt my lesson and need to spend more time in the planning stage. Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Everything still feels a bit nasty at the minute. I'm going to fix the ceilings and re-design the upper arches so they're being held up by something. :

[IMG][/img]k1e1lh.jpg
    1zxxoba.jpg
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know the feeling when you just want to move on, but I seriously think this is a solid piece.

Those windows are coming along really nicely :)

If you were thinking of adding more interest in the scene, perhaps those upper arches could be held up by spiral columns?

U0qma.jpg

This would complement the more square pillars, create variation and would be reletively quick and simple to create (basically a Twist Modifier on a Cylinder in Max?).
    If you did this, maybe the pillars holding up the Alter would need to be made round too though, for visual coherence.
  • ikblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikblue polycounter lvl 8
    This is coming along nice but I must say I am a bit confused by the style of your chapel : almost all your references look like catholic churches/cathedrals but still your arches look oriental. Mixing the two styles can be a choice but then you might need to search for more oriental references.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies guys :) Hand in is tomorrow and there is SO much I want to fix but won't be able to by tomorrow.

@SirCalalot I love that idea, I really wish I had time to implement it. Thanks for saying its a solid piece :) Don't think I'm gonna put it in my portfolio yet, gonna wait and see if I can improve it by taking everyones advice on here.

@ikblue Thank you :) I agree, I didn't plan enough and now the final result is suffering because of it. I've learnt my lesson though!

Playing around with lighting:

ke9see.jpg
  • Jarm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Since you're on a tight deadline Here are some quick fixes I would recommend:

1. Lighting:
    - Get a fill light in there. There should be no full black in a scene with such strong lighting from the windows.
    - Speaking of -- make the lighting come exclusively from the windows. Gothic churches were designed with this in mind and it is partially responsible for the haunting feeling of gothic architecture -- replicate this in 3d and use it to your advantage. Use spots coming in at the windows and keep is low key.

2. Scale of detail.
    - Make a pass at addressing scale of detail concerns in your scene. The floor panels are pretty massive. I would highly recommend tiling them further.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Jarm Thanks so much for replying, I tried to implement what you said about the light and I think it could be pushed further! I will adjust the scale soon, I promise!

udk_modular_church2_by_teenagephoenix-d4rhrje.jpg

udk_modular_church_1_by_teenagephoenix-d4rhrcu.jpg
  • iWeReZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might want to work on re-implementing "should be no full blacks"
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    You made a serious attempt to construct your own lighting and that's a serious plus right there. It doesn't look bad, just try and move your fill light so it catches the backs of the pews and lightens them up!

You're doing good, we want to see you do GREAT!
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    The bench material could be a bit brighter so that it would catch the light better.
  • Jarm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey found a hopefully useful image for you!

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/france/images/paris/notre-dame-cathedral/resized/xti_9828.jpg

Notice how the light falls mostly on the floor and lower parts of the columns. The bounce light subtly lights the rest of the scene. It seems as though you're using point lights for all your lighting. Try switching to spot lights for the key lights (those coming from the windows), use a subtle sky light for your fill, and use some subtle local point lights for some local bounce.

Also! Be sure to pick a direction that the light is coming from and stick to it. It looks like lights coming from all the windows, but really the strong shafts should only come from the side of the building that faces the sun with much much weaker light from the sky coming from the back windows.
  • Jarm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can kind of see what I mean in that image -- the windows facing the sun are throwing super hot yellowish areas of sunlight across the floor, while the windows in the back are just bleeding the sky color (blue) into the room a bit.
  • ladyknowles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much guys, sorry, I think I just had a bit of a kick while I was down there. Been feeling crap about this for days now and feel totally hopeless!

@GragGunslinger Thank you, that is so nice of you to say :) I'll try harder.

@Xendance I agree, I'll change this as soon as I can.

@Jarm My god, that is so incredibly helpful I could come and find you IRL and hug you. I think thats why I've been struggling, not having good enough reference images. I will try to implement what you've said when I get the chance, although to be honest I feel like I've reached my limit with this scene and want to move onto something else xD
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't give up!
    We believe in you! :D

To help lift those shadows from full black, you could try changing the Environment Colour (View > World Properties > Lightmass > Environment Colour) to more of a blue colour.
    As well as this you might want to try increasing the bounce light intensity around your environment (View > World Properties > Lightmass > Diffuse Boost) to better get the effect that @Jarm was mentioning from just the scene's window lights :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    just mess around with the lighting, lighting can be difficult to nail (it is for me). FIgure out what you want the lighting to do and the time of day etc... you'll get it if you're determined.