Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male Character-WIP

Hey, im an games animator in my final year at teeside uni (whoop) anyway i needed to make a character to put my mocap on for my fyp so i crunched anatomy and this is what i got

characterwip.jpg
Kinda dont know where to go with it atm, as i want to get the clothing done but dont want to start it there are any problems i havent seen. I feel like the head is too big atm as well

Replies

• Conrad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like what uve done so far , anatomy seems pretty solid but the body seems too short maybe? if its suposed to be a teen i dunno its got a 7.5 head height which seems to be a good height measurement:poly124:
  • AsaNYC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AsaNYC polycounter lvl 12
    But this looks great as is. Realistic in proportions and very grounded. If you were going for heroic/Loomis proportions then the head is too big.

It's all subjective I suppose.

I'm lookin' forward to seeing what you do with this base.
  • s33th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The few times I've worked with mocap data there's always been a 'default' rig to go along with the system. Then you'd have to do retargeting from that base rig to anyone with different proportions. So if it's available to you I'd recommend grabbing that rig and fit your model to that. It could save you some headaches in the future.

Not sure how much you want for anatomy crits but here's a few things that stick out:
    His hipbones look unnatural - that hard crease on either side doesn't work. I'd smooth out the bottom crease where the sartorius connects to the hip bone.
    Most peoples' sternocleidomastoid would be more prominently defined at the person's center line where the clavicles meet rather than further out how you have it. Sort of looks like he's tensing his neck currently.
    The front head of his deltoids looks like it's blending into his pecs in an awkward way, and looks like it's ending before it hooks up to the clavicle.
    His pecs wouldn't balloon out like that at the top - looks like he has implants right now.
    That stuff should get you started at least.

And if you're never going to see the anatomy under his clothing I'd disregard that last paragraph. Generally proportion wise... and this is just my preference, I'd scale down his head and then lengthen his legs and arms a touch.

Keep at it, it's looking good, especially if you've never really done anatomy studies before.
  • Gufufawug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, cheers for the crit, much appreciated. I havent had much time to work on the model today only reworked the areas pointed out. There will be clothing so the underlying anatomy can have some small errors, not that i enjoy having them :)

characterwip.jpg
    I will probably so a pass on feet so they are not as blocky as they are now for my own sanity. Since this model is for my university fyp ill update this with all my fyp work (and ive seen a few threads around doing the same)

So my fyp is to make a cutscene in UDK, which is the most basic way of putting it. For this cutscene i will be exploring using tesselation/sub-surface scattering skin shaders (sss only if time allows), i also have done some work using apex cloth earlier in the year so i will be using that most likely.

In terms of mocap ive spent the last year focusing quite heavily on it, and will be shooting the scene in 2weeks time, Ill be shooting the scene in realtime directly to motionbuilder so i have a clear idea how it plays out into the environment. Ill share my workflow when i get to it if people would like to know.
  • s33th
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice. Maybe soften out the crease in between the pecs a tad too. But the fixes you've made have already helped out a lot.

Looking forward to seeing the apex cloth stuff... is that a difficult thing to get working with UDK?
  • Gufufawug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s33th wrote: »
    Nice. Maybe soften out the crease in between the pecs a tad too. But the fixes you've made have already helped out a lot.

Looking forward to seeing the apex cloth stuff... is that a difficult thing to get working with UDK?

Thats a good point, the crease is far too defined, ill soften that out :). I followed the tutorial on the nvidia dev zone a few months back to get apex running in Max and it wasnt too hard. I havent done it with my own mesh yet so id imagine ill run into a few problems.

For UDK its just a case of importing the apex asset and attatching it to the base skeletal mesh clothing asset property.
  • Gufufawug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyway, i suck at keeping thread updated plus had some issues ive had to sort out outside work =/ i aged him abit and blocked out clothing, im working on folds+detailing atm, dont have too much time to spend on it so ill be rushing alittle
    fypcharacterwip2.jpg