Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modular Set in UDK- WIP

bassmatt00
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
bassmatt00 polycounter lvl 7
Hello again Polycount! Building a modular scene in UDK and I got a lot of block-ins so far with some basic textures to get a feel of the "look" (all subject to change). There are missing pieces to this and the skydome needs some work, but until I post again, hope you enjoy!

1-1.jpg
2-1.jpg
3-1.jpg

Replies

• Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Nice, I especially like how you have the props littering the scene. One thing that stands out a lot though is the pillars, I think they could use more interesting tops and bottoms - right now they are basically just cylinders which is a little boring. Just do a bit of beveling :):) Could you post some refs? Also maybe slightly bigger images next time, these are a little small. Keep it up!
  • Serith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Serith polycounter lvl 9
    Very very cool! This is a great exercise and I can't wait to see more. I agree with Jessica about the bottoms and tops of the pillars. I definitely recommend not being afraid to make variant models of pillars, arches, etc to add more variety. good luck!
  • bassmatt00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my updated foutain I've been working on for a bit. Since its going to be the center piece for my scene, it's gonna get a little more time than some of my architectural pieces

here's the reference that I used but didn't directly commit to
    fountain.jpg

2,960 tris
    1-2.jpg
    2-2.jpg
  • bassmatt00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update - everything is blocked in with the basic of materials in UDK (diffuse, normal, spec). I'm still working on lighting the scene and getting something other than basic sand for the ground.
    4.jpg
    2-3.png
    1-3.jpg
    3-2.jpg
  • bassmatt00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    new stuff. running into problems with the landscape editor and the way its tiling the textures. I posted a thread in the UDK tech talk forum, but if anyone has any suggestions that would be great :)

anyways, I hope you're enjoying the progress, and if you have any comments or crits I'd be happy to hear them

1-4.jpg
    2-4.jpg
    3-3.jpg
    4-1.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    So the tiling is too big? Maybe try changing the Mapping Scale of the Terrain Coords in your Landscape material?

Your terrain is the same color as your building - maybe try making the building a lighter color so it pops out :) But this is looking cool, I like the little lamps!
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    post up texture flats, i'd be more helpful for us to um, help... u. :)
  • bassmatt00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I got everything fixed in UDK, and had some fun painting in the landscape. Anyways, here is my end result for my little modular scene. I don't know what's going on with the yellow halo around the image. It pops up whenever I switch to game mode.

Hope you enjoy!

UDK_Scene_1.jpg
    UDK_Scene_2.jpg
    UDK_Scene_3.jpg
    UDK_Scene_4.jpg
    UDK_Scene_5.jpg
    UDK_Scene_6.jpg
    [IMG]http://[/img]