Home Unity

Unity 3.5 Released

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Thomas P. polycounter lvl 14
Hey there folks,

Unity Tech. just announced the availability of 3.5 (Final version) on their website. Go and check out the details and download!

http://www.unity3d.com

Thomas P.

Replies

• bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Let's check this beauty
  • Codexus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Codexus polycounter lvl 11
    Awesome! I hope they fixed all the little glitches from the beta! poly142.gif
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Some great improvements. Hopefully max files from 2012 will be supported, anyone know? I've not seen anything in the list about it.
  • Thomas P.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thomas P. polycounter lvl 14
    MrNinjutsu wrote: »
    Some great improvements. Hopefully max files from 2012 will be supported, anyone know? I've not seen anything in the list about it.

I would (and always do) advise against using native files (Maya, Max, whatever) for the simple reason that if you work in an environment with people that use different software it's always going to be tricky for them to open such files. Best is to always export as FBX no matter what you use. That has been proven to be the most "save" way to work and I've been using Unity since 5 years by now, so I am just sharing my experience.
  • MrNinjutsu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Thomas P. wrote: »
    I would (and always do) advise against using native files (Maya, Max, whatever) for the simple reason that if you work in an environment with people that use different software it's always going to be tricky for them to open such files. Best is to always export as FBX no matter what you use. That has been proven to be the most "save" way to work and I've been using Unity since 5 years by now, so I am just sharing my experience.

Appreciate it. Well with the game we're making, were using the same software. Max 2012. Sometimes its a bit tedious having to export every asset that enters the game. It's not so much a problem really, it would just make life a little easier in some areas, but I totally understand on the FBX point.
  • RAL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RAL
    Been waiting for this update, the new Shuriken particle system editor looks great!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, was looking forward to this.
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
    It's a great update! :)
    MrNinjutsu wrote: »
    Appreciate it. Well with the game we're making, were using the same software. Max 2012. Sometimes its a bit tedious having to export every asset that enters the game. It's not so much a problem really, it would just make life a little easier in some areas, but I totally understand on the FBX point.
    Apparently, in many cases if you want to use native Max/Maya files, you actually have to have the program installed on the machine. (Unity supposedly runs the program's native FBX exporter on the file when it tries to import it.)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    coool! anyone tried lightprobes and shuriken yet? any pros and cons with the new systems? I would imagine lightprobes could be costly? hopefully shuriken isnt any more intensive than the old particle system
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    Ged wrote: »
    coool! anyone tried lightprobes and shuriken yet? any pros and cons with the new systems? I would imagine lightprobes could be costly? hopefully shuriken isnt any more intensive than the old particle system

Shuriken can be faster or slower then the old system depending on how you use it.

Believe me, the temptation is there, with the massive increase in power and control, to just go all out and blow 15 of the 16 available milliseconds on particle effect because you can.

However, with said great power comes great responsibility, and thankfully it's easy to trim the effects into something that looks fantastic, but with significant speed gains over the (now called) legacy system.
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    With Shuriken, you can set a maximum number of particles on screen so that it doesn't go overboard. It's really awesome.

Lightprobes take up a little bit more memory (almost the same as a couple of vertices as far as I know, so it's pretty cheap; for each probe it's a position, and three or so (?) directions and colours), and an extra few instructions in your shader to do the SH sample. It's, like, 1 more texcoord, and 6 or so instructions I think; I'm not sure, but there's a SH function in your UnityCG.cginc file that should have it, plus 1 instruction for applying the result.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Elyaradine wrote: »
    With Shuriken, you can set a maximum number of particles on screen so that it doesn't go overboard. It's really awesome.

Lightprobes take up a little bit more memory (almost the same as a couple of vertices as far as I know, so it's pretty cheap; for each probe it's a position, and three or so (?) directions and colours), and an extra few instructions in your shader to do the SH sample. It's, like, 1 more texcoord, and 6 or so instructions I think; I'm not sure, but there's a SH function in your UnityCG.cginc file that should have it, plus 1 instruction for applying the result.

shuriken sounds good, I had a small play, couldnt figure out what each setting means just by looking at it but will read up on it.

So probes require some proper per pixel shaders? maybe not a good idea for older mobiles eg 3GS or mediocre androids?
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, you can do the lookup function in your vertex shader (~6 instructions), and apply the result in your pixel shader (1 instruction). Kind of like vertex specular, and other such stuff.

I think. I don't really have experience working on the 3GS, and I'm no graphics programmer, but if your game becomes unplayable, I don't think it'd come down to your adding light probes. :P

[edit] Unless you have a really big level -> lots of probes might become a memory problem I guess.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Elyaradine wrote: »
    Apparently, in many cases if you want to use native Max/Maya files, you actually have to have the program installed on the machine. (Unity supposedly runs the program's native FBX exporter on the file when it tries to import it.)

yeah, that's how i remember it used to work, at least.