Home Unity

Maya environment to Unity for a newbie?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
zbrush_newbie polycounter lvl 10
Hi All

I`ve been given a task to convert a maya game environment (from PS3) into unity (just the artwork). I have all the textures in dds and also have exr lightmaps created for the PS3 already.
Can anyone give me an idea how difficult it would be to convert for someone who hasnt used Unity before.

Would be nice if I can re-use the existing exr lightmaps to save some time setting things up in unity.

Also, we use diffuse, specular and normal maps for our game materials. I had a quick play of unity today and couldnt see anything similar in Unity, just diffuse and normal and a simple specular color not a specular texture map setting?

Thanks

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have all the textures in dds
    Unity can read .dds files, but they aren't officially supported. From what I gather, you can't have .dds cubemaps, and mipping may not work well. Also, if your using version control, your import settings for the textures won't be retained in the .meta files.
    Would be nice if I can re-use the existing exr lightmaps to save some time setting things up in unity
    As far as the lightmaps go, I've never tried what your suggesting, but it seems like it could be possible. Beast also outputs .exr files, and you can change what lightmaps are used per asset.....so as long as you retain your lightmap uv's you should be fine. At my previous job, we had one instance where we needed to be able to switch between lightmaps at a specific point (from day lighting to night lighting), and we were able to switch between 2 sets of lightmaps fine....but both were baked using beast. I'm optimistic that you can just swap .exr files though.
    we use diffuse, specular and normal maps for our game materials. I had a quick play of unity today and couldnt see anything similar in Unity
    Its there, use the Bump Specular material.
    diffuse and normal and a simple specular color not a specular texture map setting
    Unity is looking for the spec map in the alpha channel of the diffuse. Kind of annoying...and I realize that might cause extra work for you..which you are trying to avoid. You could pretty easily modify the shader to use a seperate map for specular, or you can look into getting one of those node-based shader editors off the asset store (I think one of them is free if you aren't looking to pay...or just want to try it out).
  • zbrush_newbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zbrush_newbie polycounter lvl 10
    Thats great thanks. So any suggestions of which format to use instead of DDS?
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18