Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Highpoly Longship WIP

Hey everybody this is a project I've been working on recently and I was hoping to get some feedback on it. I plan on starting the low poly version soon after I fix up some problems with this.
highpolyscreen05.png
highpolyscreen04.png
highpolyscreen03.png
highpolyscreen02.png
highpolyscreen01.png

Replies

• Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Seems like a solid start. Can you post the references that you are modeling this off of?
  • JackalSkull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know this thread is old, but I've done some work on this project.
    Finished the high poly:

hpboatrender01.png

And began working on the low poly:
    lpboatscreen01.png
    lpboatscreen02.png
    lpboatscreen03.png

Still very much a work in progress, so any critiques would be appreciated.
  • Xelan101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xelan101 polycounter lvl 10
    Haha I did a viking longboat way back when too, don't bother looking it up it was pretty sub-par >.<

Anyways the only thing bothering me is that the oars seem to be just passing through the wood of the boat, I would either model actual holes in, or to save time as well as geometry I'd just normal map a hole/indent and indicate it with diffuse and spec. otherwise it just looks strange.

Also it might be a nice touch to indicate the planks of the outside of the boat with a normal to really help them pop, I see you didn't put them in the high poly but it'd be an easy overlay map to make just use the diffuse you've got as a guide and pint them out in grey scale and convert it.

Like I said it's looking better than my old ship, can't wait to see the finished product.
  • JackalSkull
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice normal mapping the planking sound like a good idea. Also, there are little oarlocks on the high poly, you just cant see them from this far away and I haven't textured them yet, I might alpha them when I finish to make them more obvious too.