Home General Discussion

Protecting your art test assets?

Paradox113
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Paradox113 polycounter lvl 8
I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, but I couldn't find much information on the topic so I wanted to ask fellow freelance artists for some insight. I've been job hunting for several months now as well as bidding on several freelance 3d jobs. Many of the jobs require an Art Test before I can be considered for the position. Over these months I have completed several art tests (paid and non paid.) I send them my work and never hear back from them; not even a response to a follow up email. I'm worried that my art is just simply being stolen. And, without a contract in place, they are within the right to do so.

My question is, should I request a signed contract before I start an art test?

Any thoughts on the subject are welcome.

Replies

• PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    If it is for a large established game studio, there is no way they are stealing your art, it would be stupid of them to put themselves in that kind of situation.

if the art tests are for smaller "indie" or solo developers then I can see them trying to get away with it. at the end of the day, if they are going to screw you over there is nothing you can do about it after you have given them the asset. I would just look into companies before you do the tests and see if they seem established and professional.

I generally try to avoid small startups or unfunded projects, there always seems to be money troubles somewhere down the line that you have to deal with, whereas most large game companies just spare themselves any leagal squabbles and just pay you on time.
  • Paradox113
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paradox113 polycounter lvl 8
    That's good advice to follow PixelMasher. You are correct in your assumption, because every company that has "screwed me over" has been a small indie company.

I just feel that when you get down to it, art is art no matter the product, and there should be laws or contracts protecting it. Every other piece of public art has copyrights and contracts tied to it protecting it; it seems the only art that isn't protected in today's society is "art test" art. I guess it just seems weird to me.

thanks for the input.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Why is there no contract in place?

If you're getting screwed by fly-by-night indies, don't send them the finalized art test without written confirmation that they aren't going to use the art unless its paid for or you are taken on for a contract for additional work.

The best protection you can get is them agreeing to terms in writing.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Just dont do art tests more than a few hours for an indie studio, and if they want more, a good test of their seriousness is getting them to give you a small task for money.

big studios is a different story. Ive just spent nearly a week doing one, but i guess i can use it for my portfolio if it doesent work out. Id be hesitant of doing an NDA'd art test that long tho.
  • Daelus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forgive my ignorance, but couldn't you send images instead of full assets if this seems to be a problem? Standard presentation, you know, beauty shot, wire, texture sheet, that sort of thing? I've known a few people to put watermarks in textures (layers flattened) or 2d artwork for freelance work until the final delivery to stop the grab and run tactics. :)
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Daelus wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, but couldn't you send images instead of full assets if this seems to be a problem? Standard presentation, you know, beauty shot, wire, texture sheet, that sort of thing? I've known a few people to put watermarks in textures (layers flattened) or 2d artwork for freelance work until the final delivery to stop the grab and run tactics. :)

Usually, a studio will ask for the assets themselves in a specific format (obj, fbx, max, etc.) along with the textures and whatnot.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Paradox113 wrote: »
    I'm sure this question gets asked a lot, but I couldn't find much information on the topic so I wanted to ask fellow freelance artists for some insight. I've been job hunting for several months now as well as bidding on several freelance 3d jobs. Many of the jobs require an Art Test before I can be considered for the position. Over these months I have completed several art tests (paid and non paid.) I send them my work and never hear back from them; not even a response to a follow up email. I'm worried that my art is just simply being stolen. And, without a contract in place, they are within the right to do so.

My question is, should I request a signed contract before I start an art test?

Any thoughts on the subject are welcome.

Are you getting asked to do art tests for freelance jobs? That sounds really strange to me- you shouldn't be asked to do an art test as a freelance artist.

Also
    "I'm worried that my art is just simply being stolen. And, without a contract in place, they are within the right to do so."

This would be totally illegal- especially without a contract. Unless you have a contract that says otherwise, you own anything you produce. If these indie games get released and you can actually find your art test in them you could sue. I think it is very unlikely that anyone is stealing your work.