Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female Head

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
defco polycounter lvl 6
Hey,

I'm trying to improve my anatomy skills. I work as prop/environment artist, but I like to work on creature/character busts on my freetime. This is my first real try on female head.

What do you think? Any major changes I should do?

first_female.jpg

Replies

• defco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defco polycounter lvl 6
    Some changes I made. Didn't look the same person from front and side views.

Hope you like it.

female1.jpg
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    The largest things that jumps out at me is that the neck is too small/thin on both the front and side views, you have some room to give her collar bones as well and maybe the forehead is also a little too far back. Hope that helps!
  • SiegePerilous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SiegePerilous polycounter lvl 9
    you could put a bit of bulge at the eyebrow ridge over the nose so there's a little shadow plane across the eyebrow line and a bit of a protrusion when viewed in profile.

Check out the volumes and shapes of female eyebrows and how it effects the person's expression. Even women who trim their eyebrows tend to have a bit more volume in the proximal area of the eyebrow. Personally I think it adds a lot of femininity to a character to have certain eyebrow shape.

Speaking of femininity, if you're going to do that much of the chest I'd love to see a collarbone. And an upturned nose would also be more sexy imho, though I'm not sure what you're going for. I find it hard enough to make a clearly female face without using every trick I can to show it is female.

As Alemja is saying the really narrow neck (plus your lack of hair) makes the size of the head pronounced.

Overall it looks well done, but rather standardized, she doesn't have her own personality and cute flaws. Placeholder shape hair, at least for your own reference, might help give her more of a personality.

I just made a female head sculpt too if you want to return the critique. :D
  • defco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defco polycounter lvl 6
    I call it finished : p. Hair could use more work, but I leave it there.
    female_bust_by_redecorator-d4w14vh.jpg
  • defco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defco polycounter lvl 6
    Trying to do a monk next.
    monk_wip2.jpg?t=1335016391
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the female head, even in the stage its at... something eerily beautiful about the hair position and the lighting :)

Monk looks cool, man is he ripped!!!!!! those oblique are super defined haha, looking good though :)