Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Zbrush Edge Control; New method?

s6
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
s6 polycounter lvl 10
Hi there. As I've been working on a pistol project I've gotten some good feed back, And some question on edge on control in zbrush. After seeing such interest in it, I wanted to see what i could come up with.

The biggest thing i came up with was creating a retopologization in all quads, Then creating fast edge loops with the slice curve brush.

The idea is to simply "Clip" where you want an edge to be preserved, And on subdivide it will retain its shape. The closer you make the clip to the edge, the tighter the edge. The further, The more broad the edge will be.

Now this was an example done in about 10 minutes, So bare with me and try to overlook small errors and imperfections on this particular model.

In this time lapse video you can see me retopologizing the model, Cleaning the faces a bit, Then using the slice curve brush to make edge loops.

Each model was subdivided with smooth on for every division. So you can see how much these loops affect the the smoothing.

here is the video of the quick workflow: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-zq0xoOAAY"]Zbrush Edge Control - YouTube[/ame]

Here is two different examples. One with clips close to the edge, and one with the clips a little further out. Also notice how i didn't add loops in the center on the left example, and how that edge reacted in comparison to the others.

edgeconcept2.png
By s620 at 2012-02-11

edgeconcept1.png
By s620 at 2012-02-11

Wires aren't pretty, But in zbrush are they ever? :p

Now this was thought up and executed very quickly. The model is imperfect, The clips were done fast, and i've yet to polish the idea.

What I'm curious to know is how effective it could be. I wanted to share the method, See if anyone has discovered anything similar and talk about different ways of edge control in zbrush.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
    Damn, that's crafty. I can't imagine slicing would work for every shape, at least without masking, but it's cool too see none the less.

:-)

Keep working at it, hard surface in zBrush has usually been the byproduct of some clever users finding weird workflows.
  • Fred2303
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fred2303 polycounter lvl 7
    do the tool that you use to retopo is only availaible in 4rb2??
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Fred2303 wrote: »
    do the tool that you use to retopo is only availaible in 4rb2??
    Nope, Its been implemented in zbrush 4 and up. :thumbup:
  • iamtravis316
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iamtravis316 polycounter lvl 11
    That looks pretty neat. I might have to give this a try next time I jump into ZBrush to see how it works. Thanks for posting. :)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    s620ex1 wrote: »

You mean to say definitely! Not defiantly! That's one of my biggest pet peeve spelling mistakes/auto corrections.

On topic though, I saw the gun you were working on in the other thread and it's looking like a pretty promising workflow. I'm not too excited with high poly modeling in Max because of all of the edge loops and pinching you have to fuck around with so that zbrush workflow is pretty interesting to me.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    You mean to say definitely! Not defiantly! That's one of my biggest pet peeve spelling mistakes/auto corrections.

On topic though, I saw the gun you were working on in the other thread and it's looking like a pretty promising workflow. I'm not too excited with high poly modeling in Max because of all of the edge loops and pinching you have to fuck around with so that zbrush workflow is pretty interesting to me.

:) my bad, posted on mobile, and i have big thumbs. That particular mistake was likely just me not thinking about how to spell the word of wanted to spell :p