Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Scene - House on the rock

a-k-m
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
Hello,

this is my first scene. I know there's still a lot of room for improvements and a lot of stuff to do but I wanna take a break with the scene and I wanna go on with another project.
I've tried to recreate this house on the rock with 3ds Max, Mudbox and the CRyengine (and photoshop of course).

30855728801492789031221.jpg

I've tried to recreate this house on the rock with 3ds Max, Mudbox and the CRyengine (and photoshop of course).

Here are some pictures

hotr.jpg

hotr2.jpg

treeroots2.jpg

treeroots3.jpg

If anyone could give me any kind of critics, that would be awesome.

Greetings

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    lol that is an awesome picture
  • Ack Master
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahhah thats a hilarious picture.
  • a-k-m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
    ok, now I sculpted some rocks and applied the diffuse and the normal map in 3ds max.
    Here's a picture:
    rockstextured.jpg

One question:
    What is the difference between setting the normal map to object space or not? (3Point Shader Lite Material)
  • a-k-m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
    Here's a screenshot from the rocks, the fence and the stairs placed in the cryengine:

screenqlh.jpg

Will add the house as soon as possible.

Thanks for help or crits.

Greetings
  • a-k-m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
    Hello,

I've added a few more objects to the scene.
    Here are two pictures:

preview1su.jpg
    preview2y.jpg
    preview3qd.jpg

I appreciate any critics.

By the way... how can I change the oceans colour and opacity in the CryEngine?
    And is it possible to make the viewport fullscreen to take better screenshots?
  • a-k-m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
    Updated my first post
  • a-k-m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
    Is this scene so bad, that it is not worth a comment? :)
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Hey, don't get discouraged. People get busy and for those of us headed to GDC we have a lot of prep to do (which I put off until today so I could finish my latest portfolio piece!)

I know absolutely nothing about CryEngine. Wish I could help you more, it's something I'd like to learn soon.

First off, your texture density is pretty bad. Your rock texture stands out the most as being stretched out and swimmy. Are you using a tilable rock or is it uniquely UV'd? Also, the type of rock you are using should match the reference closer. It needs to be more porous, filled with holes and less like rock you would see in a mountain. Start with that, then try to layer color on top of it in Photoshop.

Your roof needs more texture detail as well. The ends of the roof need more alpha in them and could be exaggerated to showcase a better silhouette. The actual building structure isn't so bad, but the texture need to be more than just white with a noisy bump. Think about what material would have been used to create that, then keep that in mind when creating your texture. Let some visual interest show through. It doesn't need to stick 100% to the reference.

I like the tree quite a bit. I think you need to fill out the leaf cards some more though, and tone down the spec on it a lot.

For more info, hit up the Polycount Wiki. It's a great read and helped me a lot when I started out with Game specific 3d art 2 or so years ago. Keep working hard and keep making projects and you'll be amazed at how you improve.
  • a-k-m
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a-k-m polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks for your reply!

I painted the rock in mudbox using stencil and projection painting with a rock texture. The same for the roof... Maybe this is not the way to go?!

Ok, I really need to work on my texturing.

Thanks again