Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ice Tomb - UDK

Hey people! This here's the final (sort of) project of the last semester of my college program (amazing!). In case you haven't read the thread title: it's an ice tomb. But not just any ice tomb. It's an ice tomb with giant fuck-off ice crystals all over the dang place! Ok, so maybe that's what every ice tomb ever conceived has, but shut up. Also, I know these aforementioned ice crystals are conspicuously absent from all pics below, but trust me, they'll be there.

Understand that these shots are all extremely wip right now

icetomb_wip3.jpg

icetomb_wip2.jpg

icetomb_wip1.jpg

Here's a quick & dirty paintover that I did of that last one to give you a better idea of what I'm aiming for:

icetomb_paintover.jpg

Also, zbrush pillars:

icetomb_pillars_zbrush.jpg

Anyways, I think its going to turn out pretty cool, but if you have any cold-hearted crits to give me, don't freeze up! I promise to be chill about them (and eventually thaw your perception of this project). It was ice of you to drop by!

13601823.jpg

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    great start. that pillar came out great but you could have probably done some chipping around the cracks to add in some "life" kinda detail. based off your concept its looking like its going to be very uncharted-like.. which is great. keep the progress coming. :D
  • Orangeknight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orangeknight polycounter lvl 5
    The paintover looks like skyrim, but I like where this is heading.
  • Broken_Lawnmower
    Oniram: thanks man. I'm still a little unsold on the pillars, so I'll try your suggestion and see if that helps.

Orangeknight: blah I know. thanks though.

I totally agree about the similarities towards skyrim and uncharted. Both have been pretty big sources of inspiration for me on this project. However, there's (obviously) a difference between inspiration and derivation, and I'm starting to feel maybe this is leaning towards the latter, which is something I definitely don't want. To be honest, this project hasn't really "clicked" for me yet and I sort of feel like I'm spinning my wheels on it. But whatever, I'm sure I'll figure something out.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    @Broken_Lawnmower, you charismatic sonofabitch :D

I'm loving the idea and the paintover looks wonderful.
    The first thing I thought of was Uncharted, but then again I think of Uncharted when I look at most things...
    500x_custom_1250865625457_ice.JPG
    (Even this screenshot).

If you check out the screeny from above, you'll notice that the scene is fairly saturated, with some strong aqua-blues in the environment colour, tinting the shadows.
    With snow and ice everywhere, light is being bounced all over the shop and as a result, there are rarely any truly dark areas - just dark-er areas. Try brightening the fog colour and changing the Environment Colour in the World Properties (and Shadow Colour in your lights if you need) to try and get a brighter effect.

Apart from that, there isn't really anything to critique on!

*S-s-s-s-s-s-subsribed*
  • Broken_Lawnmower
    SirCalalot: heh yeah before it was basically a lovechild between Uncharted and Skyrim. Now though? It's a lovechild between Uncharted and Skyrim with giant ice crystals sticking out of its face!
    Also, thanks for the crit. I know its kinda dark right now and etc, but the lighting is still very wip and I haven't touched any post-process stuff (except maybe the fog if that counts). But I will look into lightening that fog up abit and maybe saving the blue for post processing.

update! I've just started adding the (blockin) ice crystals so expect a butt-ton more of those. There's also snow now (of which I will also being adding one more butt-ton). And if you find yourself starting to question why there is even snow in an underground tomb in the first place: stop! Because you see, this is a Magic™ tomb, and with Magic™, "Anything Is Possible" ®

icetomb_wip5.jpg

icetomb_wip8.jpg

icetomb_wip6.jpg

icetomb_wip7.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Looks like it's coming along nicely. The floors look a bit strange to me though with all of those smooth jutted out tiles. I think it'd look much better if you just focused on a nice tiling stone texture, possibly zbrushed, with some parallax and put together a nice blend map to vertex paint thicker and thinner areas of snow on it.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Looks pretty good I'd say, nice blockout and atmosphere! Can't wait to see where this is going :)
  • D-Boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Look amazing so far. Good to see it is coming along.
  • chrisradsby
  • Broken_Lawnmower
    Wow, that kicks ass! And I can see what you're saying: that I should quit all this silly video game nonsense and go build a real ice castle. I like the way you think. Setting up a kickstarter now.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I... err... He's gone hasn't he?
  • Broken_Lawnmower
    ?

I'm not sure if you're referring to me, but if you are, don't worry man. More updates are coming! I just don't want to inundate the thread with a million little updates. Instead I'm trying to keep the updates to larger milestones. Unfortunately, I've been busy with other projects as well, so progress has been a bit slow. I probably will have something for tomorrow though!
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ha!
    Don't worry, I was just playing along with your post above :D

Can't wait for the next iteration.
  • Broken_Lawnmower
    SirCalalot: lol I was all, " What? I had just posted some stuff a few days ago." Me am good at context.

Regardless, there was something else I was gonna post. What was it? Oh yeah, I remember now BOOM *slams update down onto table*

icetomb_wip9.jpg

icetomb_wip10.jpg

icetomb_wip11.jpg

I've started to rework the lighting (but I think that right now its even darker than it was before). I also gave in and added some quick colour grading (ie no pp chain yet) just because I love colour grading. Other than that, I still have some major sections that I've been seriously neglecting, like for example the entire outside part:

icetomb_wip12.jpg
  • Broken_Lawnmower
    Thread defib!

In reparation for not posting any updates for a while, have this weird smiley man with hands for hands and hands for feet:

.....:poly142:
    :thumbdown:--|--:thumbup:
    ......|
    ...../\
    ..../...\
    .:thumbdown:.....:thumbup:

As for the tomb, it's considerably more "done" I'd say than the last update, but it's not 100%! Also, I suppose, it's not really tomb anymore as much as it's a.. throne-room? You can still call it a tomb I guess; it's your pejorative.

icetomb_wip13.jpg

icetomb_wip14.jpg

icetomb_wip15.jpg
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good, the ice is fantastic and your lighting is helps sell the scene, I say keep pushing on.
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is beautiful. I would love to see more of the finished assets!
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    I'd like to see you up the warmth of the light emanating off the fire. Orange it up to get some nice contrast in there. Great progress on this!
  • Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    Here is a nice courtesy bump :) Keep up the good work!!!