Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crumbling Hospital WIP

Hey all,

I'm currently working on a hospital environment to slot into my dissertation on horror in games, and the level I'm making is along the lines of the classic Silent Hill "otherworldly decaying hospital" style. Basically everything needs to look heavily weathered, and I was hoping to get some feedback about whether or not I'm going in the right direction with my textures. They don't currently tile, but here are the walls that I've been working on:

newwall1.png
By saarlemsanders at 2012-02-08

newwall2.png

newwall3.png

newwalls.png

newwalls2.png

newwalls3.png

Any and all criticism is appreciated!

Replies

• DennisGlowacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DennisGlowacki polycounter lvl 7
    This looks like a prime example where vertex painting would be a much better solution.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's true ... but still, nice texture. :)
  • SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Dennis, making a solid base texture and then vertex painting in the main damage would be ideal. If you are not going to use vertex painting, I would recommend getting the textures to tile, or at least put some sort of trim or support beam or something in the spaces where the planes meet.

Also, either flatten the blue and white areas to the same plane, or break them up more. Right now it sort of looks like the blue is slightly extruded, but not enough to actually affect the silhouette, so just flatten it down.
  • SaarlemSanders
    Thanks for all the comments so far. I guess you're right about vertex painting - I could still use it to work into some of the walls and other textures that I'm working on, so I'll keep it in mind as I move forward.

To answer SgtNasty, I'll be making the textures tileable in the near future - at the moment these are just the basic wall textures without tiling. Also the blue is slightly extruded - to me it felt too flat when the detail was added with a normal map, but I'll be sure to flatten it down again and put it up on here for comments.

Anyway thanks again guys, I'll post new images when I've made the changes, and I should be adding some new floor textures and objects on here soon.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    I'd think both types of cement under each paint would be the same under each :P
    They're looking great! But yeah definitely learn vertex painting, it's a pretty standard practice these days.
  • SaarlemSanders
    Thanks Nordahl - I'll be sure to get into vertex painting as soon as possible, cos I can see it coming in handy for a few of my tiled pieces in the other environment I'm working on as well.

The colour of the exposed wall seems to elicit a different response from everyone I ask - who'd have thought that a blank wall could be controversial? Anyway I'll try and even up the colours of the exposed areas, especially in the bit where the crack spans both halves of the wall.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your definitely going to want to use a tiling texture.

You could use vertex painting, but just having a decal sheet with these decals is an option as well. Vertex painting is going to be a little more expensive performance wise, and your going to be a little less flexible with how it looks. Your going to be restricted to using tiling textures for vertex painting, and you can use a mask to kinda get the peeled paint look on the transitions, but it might not be as varied as you can get with decals.

As far as what you have goes, the decals on the top half seem to break away to a slightly different colored material underneath, you might want to have that look the same.
  • nicafornica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicafornica polycounter lvl 7
    can anyone point me in the direction of vertex painting? My GPS is broken.
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    Really nice textures!
    I would probably start with trying to get these into nice tiling base textures, and then complement that by either remaking some of the details into alphas, or separate some of the details already made and put that on a alpha sheet. :)

It might take a bit of time but it will definitely be worth it in the end!
    Vertex painting is technically the same on all engines, but the way of getting there depends on the engine, but just googling "Vertex painting UDK" should get you a grasp of the concept.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Here you go:

http://eat3d.com/free/vertex_painting

Short video packed full of everything you need to know. :)
  • SaarlemSanders
    Hey guys,

Thanks for the useful crit - much appreciated! I've been bogged down in the distinctly less interesting side of this project (the dissertation-writing part) for the past few days, but I should be posting new images by Saturday or Sunday.

@gsokol - I've been working on getting the textures to tile, cos I'm going to be making a few more wall variations and I need to basically texture a series of corridors with these maps. I've been working on sorting out the differing colours as well. I should have images up by the end of the weekend, along with a new texture or two.

@KarlWrang - Thanks for the advice! I can pull all of the paint crack alphas straight from my PSDs, because the majority of the cracks are done using alphas anyway.

@WarrenMarshall - Thanks for the link!

Hopefully I'll be able to show some more image updates soon - juggling four modules means that I can't work on this as much as I'd like to.
  • SaarlemSanders
    Hey all,

I'm a bit late posting this due to my other work, but here's an update of my latest textures:

hospitalhallway2.png

This should give a proper impression of how the textures will look in my level. I've modified the bits of exposed wall so that the top matches the bottom, but the textures don't tile yet - I was preoccupied with making as much headway as possible on a variety of textures.

Let me know what you think of the new textures, as well as any other issues that you can see with the modified walls. I'll post new stuff as and when it's ready. As usual, any and all crit is welcome!
  • DennisGlowacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DennisGlowacki polycounter lvl 7
    paint chips on the ground = win
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    What's the full title of your dissertation? I did mine on Horror in Games and how sound affects the player. I made a level in Source that tested different sound methods that I came up with. If that's what you're sort of doing I can share my findings if you want. Probably stored somewhere on an old hdd :D
  • switz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    switz polycounter lvl 10
    I think you should lessen the density of the chips and maybe spread them out more. Also, if you're doing this in UDK I think vertex painting would be your best bet.
  • SaarlemSanders
    @switz I'll spread the chips out more, it does look a bit clumped-together at the moment. A lot of people have mentioned vertex painting, which I intend to try when I get started on this in UDK in a couple of days - I'll post the results of that when I have them.

@Habboi My full dissertation title is currently "How Do Game Artists Create Effective Environments for Horror Games?" Sound is actually an area that's currently lacking in my write-up, but it's obviously really important to the level, so any help would be greatly appreciated. I'd also be really curious to see how you tested your theory, so it'd be great to look at your findings if possible!
  • SaarlemSanders
    Hey all, some more updates on my corridor:

hospitalhallwayfloortes.png
    By saarlemsanders at 2012-02-22

hospitalhallwayceilingt.png
    By saarlemsanders at 2012-02-22

I've made the changes switz suggested on the first floor tile - if people think that looks more suitable then I'll roll it out onto the other tiles as well. I've also spent some time on the ceiling, so any comments about that would be helpful.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    What you're asking is going to take me a while to sort out. I can give a summary for now.

Basically I was looking to see how sound effects are used in horror games and how each sound effect type affects the player. It's a strong subject as we all know sound in horror games probably contributes over half of the scare.

So I studied the well known horror games and broke each sound effect into a category and named them so that I could create a playable level that demonstrated each of these sound categories in different scenarios.

I got about 20 people to play my level on a laptop and I had three tests, a video camera recording their faces throughout the whole thing, an optional heart rate monitor (a sports one) which worked quite well but only 15% used it as it had to be on their chests which made some of them uncomfortable and the third test was a questionnaire at the end asking them stuff like which part scared them the most and so on.

I then compared all three tests and made a HUGE excel spreadsheet which helped me see results. To my amazement there was a pattern and it made writing up my results section real easy.

Obviously I can never share the video files and I don't want to share my dissertation in case a google search brings people towards it for stealing but I can give you my excel sheet to show how much work went into it.

Also I'll share the questionnaire and a text analysis I did. There was this website that made any emotional words BIG for analysing.

http://upload.habboi.co.uk/habboiwork.rar

Let me know when you downloaded it, I wish to remove it.
  • SaarlemSanders
    Wow, thanks for all the info - I owe you one. I've downloaded the file, so remove it at your leisure.

I looked through all the information and it's interesting that, based on what's written, you used quite a few scare effects that are similar to what I was planning - it's good to know that they worked on your test subjects. With any luck I'll be linking my test on here when it's ready.

What you did sounds a lot like the audio version of my dissertation, so knowing how you tested it really helps - testing has been a concern for a while, cos it's hard to tell when people are scared by particular things. I was similarly considering the questionnaire and pulse rate method, but I didn't think of adding the camera, which should help a lot.

Thanks for all the help - if I have the appropriate Harvard citation then I can reference your dissertation in the write-up of my product, cos I need to write about the sounds I'm using. I'll post updates as and when I get them so that you can get an idea of what I find too.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I look forward to reading it. By the way my disseration is a good 2 years old now and it got me my 1st honours degree so if you do the same sort of thing I'm sure you'll be fine.
  • SaarlemSanders
    It's good to know that a similar thing paid off in your degree. I'll be keeping this thread updated with my progress, which will hopefully include a lot of new assets and textures in the next few days.
  • SaarlemSanders
    Hey all, just an update on progress - I've added doors to my scene:

doorimage.png

Criticism is welcome.
  • SaarlemSanders
    I should probably also clarify that the windows in the doors have no opacity maps at the moment.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Probably not worth mentioning but the sides of the door might need critique as well...assuming they open?

Anyway I can't really crit it much until I see it in its proper environment with the final lighting but the texture is nice and detailed. Although now that I think about it, there's damage on the wood just above the metal bit at the bottom but the metal is unharmed?

Other than that keep it up.
  • SaarlemSanders
    Fair point, I've attached an image of the sides of the door below.

I've tried to give it appropriate lighting for my scene (a faint yellow glow from a dim fluorescent light fitting) but obviously there'll be some differences once it's in the engine.

I'm going to add scuffs to the metal when I get a chance so it hopefully won't seem as separate from the damage above it.

Thanks for the crit, I'll post more stuff when I have it.

doorsides.png
  • SaarlemSanders
    Hey guys, just another update on the door - now including frame! I know, it's exciting - door frames always are. Sarcasm aside, criticism is welcome.

doorandframeset.png
  • SaarlemSanders
    In case the above is too small, here are some added images. I've also quickly slotted the door into one of the walls so that you can get an impression of how it relates to the environment.

doorandframe.png

doorandframe5.png

doorwall1.png

doorwall3.png
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    I think you have the start of something really nice here! I like your colors and the feeling you're starting to get, however I think there's a few things that I would fix up.

The "Can you see me" with the arrow is a neat idea, but I think it looks a little...flat. it doesn't look like someone painted that with their fingers, or hair or whatever, it sort of looks like the paint can tool in paint.

Also, i'm not sure if you fixed it, but the wall sections don't mesh well together in the screenshot you took, i'm not sure if that's on purpose or not but I just noticed it.

Your texture work is really great! I would be interested in seeing how you painted the chips in the paint on your door. could you explain that? I'd be very interested :D
  • SaarlemSanders
    Hey GragGunslinger, thanks for the positive comments!

Addressing the issues, I agree about the writing. I may try writing on an appropriate material, scanning it in and layering it onto the door that way, so that it looks more like 'real' writing.

The walls aren't tileable yet. Based on my schedule I decided to try and lay down a base of assets for level-building before going back and refining them. Once I've made the light fittings I'll have the bones of the level, then I'll make the walls tile.

For the paint chips I made my blue paint layer and my door base layer, then I applied crack decals to the opacity in the paint layer. I got my original details from the Dirty Texel brush set, then mixed and matched bits of the different paint decals to make what I needed.
  • SaarlemSanders
    So I haven't updated this in what feels like forever, but the level did get finished in the end; here's a Youtube video for anyone who might be interested: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFmSACP1Qq8"]Hospital Horror Environment Walkthrough - YouTube[/ame]

The video quality is considerably less HD than it is on my PC - I'll see what I can do about uploading a better video when I get my Camtasia and compression software working again (damn those expired trials).

I got it done for my deadline, which was my final uni deadline, and after all that I decided to be away from the hospital scene for a while. Anyway I wanted to post it here for anyone who was interested, and I also wanted to thank all of you who helped and gave me crit during the process. I got a First in the end, so clearly your advice was a big help! Now, I'll be moving onto other 3D projects. Expect my Tyranid Fleshborer WIP to appear very soon.

Once again, thanks a lot for the help!
  • JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    A couple of things that kind of stood out to me about your video. If I recall, the subject of your dissertation was "How environment artists create horror sets" or something along those lines? I feel like a lot of the success in horror sets are the props that populate the scene and tell a story. I remember in Silent Hill 3 walking through a mannequin room with all the arms reaching out toward the player. By the third game I kind of got a feel for Silent Hill's style and remember consciously thinking, "I'm not going to be attacked by any of these arms because it's not SH's style, but my goodness if this isn't dang creepy."

I worry that this environment may not have enough visual interest to classify as "horror". There are things like the door that sunk into the wall but I feel that's more of a tech artist than an environment artist (I could be disputed on that), which isn't the subject of the dissertation. On that note, I just watched a two minute video of a player walking through a hallway... and not much else. That's worrysome.

Personally (and this is just personal) I'm not a big fan of blood text. I feel it's a cliche cop-out that honestly just doesn't make sense. I knew some guys who pulled an elaborate prank on some girls at school by creating what looked like a devil worshiping ceremony on the ground in blood. The pattern they created varied in line weight (like a quill constantly running out of ink) and there was a pool of blood next to the pattern from where the pig was laid down and the left over blood pooled out. The key to the girls' fright was that the blood was still wet and smoke was coming out of the candles when they arrived, as though they had just interrupted something and the crazies were probably still around.

Changing topic, I worked on an environment not too long ago that included a fly through. My professor said, "Why would you end your video on one of the least interesting parts of your environment? End it in a way that the last thing someone sees is a strong image." So we changed the entire direction of the fly through. I worry that this video suffers from the same problem.

As I mentioned before, that was 2 minutes of narrow hallway walking. Frankly, that's too much. At the end I expected a scare; I thought the reason the walking was so long was because by the end I had let me guard down. But there was no "cheap scare" with something popping out and a loud scream (also cliche).

That said, there is some strong work in here. I hope you don't let my negativity get you down; your wall textures are very strong. All your corners looked like they made of had some warping? Regardless, you've demonstrated you clearly have the texturing skill so I'd suggest putting that to use with more simple models. Maybe the player has to walk through a room and ends up with more hallway on the other side? Just something to interrupt the monotony.
  • SaarlemSanders
    Hey BringMeASunkist, thanks for all of the comments, I'll do my best to address them. I should start by saying that it was never my intention to have the level just be hallways. Originally there were going to be a number of rooms containing all manner of grisly details, but as deadlines loomed and I needed time to test my level, all those plans went out of the window. Btw my title was "How Do Game Artists Create Effective Environments for Horror Games?" I did do a lot of research into Silent Hill (I spent more or less a whole chapter analysing the series), and moments like the one you mentioned with the mannequins were part of the original plan.

Really what I wanted to do was just...make an environment. So some form of detailed, self-contained scene. The problem is that my grade was heavily dependent on testing 'scaryness', which required me to develop a whole level, complete with sounds and scripted events. That's partly why it diverged so much from the 'environment' tag into more of a general (diluted) experience. Incidentally, the reason it was two minutes long is because it needed to be long enough to test peaks and troughs effectively, which did come across successfully in about 50% of the subjects (who I measured with a heart rate monitor).

Is your story about the blood prank true? If so, I commend the extreme commitment to scaring those girls. That prank really goes above and beyond. But yeh, again, blood text wasn't really what I wanted, but more just something that needed to be there because I didn't have time for the complex things I wanted.

In regards to the fly-through, the walking through hallways came across very differently to some of the test subjects; the game-savvy ones weren't scared, but the horror-illiterate ones found it unnerving to play through.

Anyway I don't intend to come back to this for a long time; I decided to treat it as a learning experience to improve my texturing and UDK skills, rather than something to go in my portfolio. That said, I will be making a horror environment for my portfolio once I complete my current plans. In the meantime I do appreciate the comments, and if you have any useful tips for my current project then I'd like to hear them. If you're interested, this is the link: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1680115#post1680115