Home Technical Talk

problem with xnormal baking

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello I have almoust finished this shield in zbrush and so I exported to xnormal , the low and the high poly , but then this is the result , strange linees steps on the borders ... why that happens and how I can avoid?

the bottom left is the high poly in Xnormal , the bottom right is the low poly with normals on , the top ones are front and back views of the shield in zbrush ....

mapsai.jpg

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    UV seams? Smoothing groups? Non-normalized UV islands?

Also, don't look at your normal map in diffuse since it's useless at helping your debug stuff, stick in your normal and throw in a quick spec + diffuse to see if the lines are really noticeable or not.
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    uv seams are not present there , smoothing groups are smooth and set to 1 on that area, whats non normalized uv islands?

I added the pic of the normal map but actually I have some strange black linees on the diffuse , this is what made me check the normal map then I saw those linees and I got the picture ...
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    is this zbrush shattering the UVs ? bring the obj you're baking to into max and check everything is welded

im pretty sure it's caused by not using the zbrush preset when exporting your obj - fixing it is nearly impossible so you're best off re-unwrapping and re-baking
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    NAIMA wrote: »
    I have some strange black linees on the diffuse
    Might be due to mipmapping. Pls, sure you place some space between UV islands/texture borders and use a generous edge padding/dilation filter ( >=16 for 2k maps ).

Also, those lines might be due to UV seams. Where do you placed them? Edit the object in 3dsmax , place a UVW Unwrap modifier and show the sems in the viewport.

And, yep, always use MergeUV when exporting from ZB.