Homeโ€บ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dragon - Possible nexus skyrim competition entry...

Replies

• praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Looking pretty good man. I really do like the way you changed up the jawline spikes. I'm looking forward to seeing this textured in full.
  • Mcejn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcejn polycounter lvl 12
    Just want to comment on your progress. This is coming along nicely.

I think the emerald dragon scheme you're going towards would be cool. How far do you plan to take this thing? Rig/animate or pose in a small diorama of some such? Either way, definitely following this thread. :)
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    yeah i just need to find a good undertone to go with for the skin between/under the scales. i feel like dark green isn't working.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Make sure you model/alpha in the drool and saliva in his mouth. Just adds a touch of coolness.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    wheeeeew... so i finally decided on a colour scheme that i like! going for deep red + tiger/zebra style stripes to break up the colour a little bit. still need to do almost all of the scales lol.

also still need to do spec + gloss maps, see if i can differentiate between scales and skin a bit.

dragon17.png
    dragon18.png
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    need to clean up the mask for the scales.... UGH.

but still, it lets me play with colours quite easily!
    dragon19.png
  • Axios
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axios polycounter lvl 10
    I think I like the blue color scheme more. I'm not sure if it was the overall value or just the darker tiger strips in the red pictures, but I felt that some of your form and detail got a bit muddled. A more subdued color scheme like your latest one makes it easier to see all the work you've done. That's not to say red can't work though if that's what you want, probably just needs to be pulled in a little.
  • OniLolz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OniLolz polycounter lvl 13
    This is awesome man!:)
    To me, the blue color scheme is the best.
    Just a question: are you using photoshop to paint all the diffuse or you are using another program like bodypaint, 3dcoat, etc?
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Hey,

Looking awesome, I like how this is coming along!

I have a couple suggestions though, if you don't mind, I did a paintover of the head:

dragonpaintover.jpg

I think this guy could look really interesting if you pushed some colour gradients into the texture, and gave the harder scales (like the top of the head) more contrast with the cracks, and less contrast/smoother blends for the smaller, more fleshy scales. Notice how the orange cuts off pretty hard on the top of the head and the cheek. Getting some darker lines and brighter spots of colour in key areas like the top of the head, the cheeks and jaw will really help emphasize the shapes. Notice also the tips of the nose, the bright spots just help to make the shapes pop, similar to what's going on with the horns.

Plus, I think these warm gradients would look sweet on your dragon. :) (but that's just my opinion, not sure if you're going for a colder, grimmer look, or what)

It depends entirely on how you want to do this, but in my opinion, I think it would be best to just go nuts on the head for the time being, figure out the colour scheme you want to go for, how you want to use gradients and specular, and it should transition nicely to the rest of the model.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of this, and I have to say, you've inspired me to want to make a dragon myself in the (hopefully) near future. :)

Keep it coming!
  • shawnell3d
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks friggin awesome
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    damn fletch...

do you have skype or steam? if possible i'd like to chat (and no, it won't be to ask you to do it for me lol) :P

edit: oh and any animators interested in having a play, please PM me. i'm happy to upload the mesh for people to use. although i might ask for a rig in return :P
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    I don't have/use skype, but my steamID is jonfletc (or JFletcho, I can never remember if you add people by the ID or their chosen steam name) either way I have a penguin avatar. :)
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome stuff dude!

I think the diffuse alpha is used for the burning effect when a dragon is killed?

You could make it all black with a few white spots and try to figure out if there's a difference ingame.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    calling any animators who'd like a crack at this.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Hey,

dragonpaintover.jpg

Holy balls man, sick paintover.
  • esquire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm curious about the animation/rigging/proportions in regards to the original dragon.

How difficult is it to get a new skeleton/animation into Skyrim?

I have an old game res dragon I'd like to put in, but he's a little beefy/chubb-o.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hey guys...

so over the last few days i've been re-reading a lot of my old dragon reference books. the dungeons and dragons draconomicon, flight of the dragons, and good old google came up with some good stuff with regards to the theory of flight and the mechanics behind it. i've also recieved criticism about the forearm position, and how it would affect both flight and movement on the ground...

it led me to believe that my dragon wouldn't even be able to take off the ground, let alone dominate the sky... so i've come to the conclusion that before i get way too committed to the texturing (as i was still playing with colours), i'd rather do a redesign now, and get it right... than have a finished piece i'm unhappy with and would probably redo anyway. sorry if that disappoints anyone!

but anyway, here are the general redesign points i've come up with, please feel free to do any of your own paint overs, or give criticism. i want to do this right!

dragon_redesign.png
  • YBourykina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YBourykina RIOT Games
    loving the redesign, especially the lengthening of the wing membrane, and adding the rudder, makes me think of "how to train your dragon" :P
  • metalliandy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    metalliandy interpolator
  • Darkleopard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking great. The re design is definitely in the right direction. The wing leather should always fall behind the back legs around the tail for enough lift. Cant wait to see him remodelled
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    The redesign looks like it will take this from a really cool piece to an awesome piece. Looking forward to moar updates!

And that paintover is sick.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hey guys, i'll have an update soon. my tablet died recently so i had to go a short while without... which sucked!

i'm really struggling with scales at the moment, finding it really difficult to get them looking how i want them to... but i'll get there!

thanks for the feedback, and please any criticism would be gratefully received!
  • Redfender
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hes gonna need some huge pecs to move those wings!
    looks cool.