Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP environment props/character models

I wanted to share some stuff that I've been making in my class. I've never done environmental stuff before and decided that for this semester I would be an environmental prop modeler.

Comments and criticism are welcome.

ScreenShot2012-02-06at113147AM.png

ScreenShot2012-02-06at113047AM.png

ScreenShot2012-02-06at112720AM.png

Replies

• Tom Pritchard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    May want to up the resolution of the texture on the walls, it seems to have a far lower pixel density than the floor. It also seems 'dirtier', if you know what I mean. Also, on the floor texture, not sure if it's already got lighting on it, if so, I'd try and get rid of that.

I will assume the chairs (not stools) are placeholders, if not I'd suggest getting a new concept.

Also, could we see your concept (if you have one)?
  • Dismembered
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dismembered polycounter lvl 9
    I will assume the chairs (not stools) are placeholders, if not I'd suggest getting a new concept.

I was thinking the same thing about the tables associated with them. North Carolina eh, what school?
  • zerocoal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The floors and the walls and floor were just there for perspective reasons, they aren't actually part of the assignment but thanks for the tips. There was supposed to be a human model in the scene to show the sizing of the objects but I never got my hands on one.

I need to redo the chairs anyway, so they are free to go. This was supposed to be the props for a pub scene and every pub-like place I've been to has had tables and chairs.

If by concept you mean the material I used to base my material off of, I used http://robcarroll.carbonmade.com/projects/3467105 as the reference for the bar and I looked at pictures of the furniture to help get an idea of what is supposed to look like and then modeled using height and width numbers that I found online.

I'm going to Western Piedmont Community College. I don't know about the other programs here, but the Simulation and Game Development program is pretty nice.
  • Mgoblue412
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mgoblue412 polycounter lvl 5
    It is not that you should not have tables and chairs in your scene, it is that your tables and chairs are incorrect. The table "legs" are way to small for the size of the table.
  • zerocoal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see. I don't know why they came out so tiny. The rest of the table is to scale based on measurements, and I did the same thing with the little nubs sticking out but they decided to be much tinier than everything else.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    zerocoal wrote: »
    I wanted to share some stuff that I've been making in my class. I've never done environmental stuff before and decided that for this semester I would be an environmental prop modeler.

Comments and criticism are welcome.

ScreenShot2012-02-06at113147AM.png

Always, Always, Always add more sides to your cylinders before you start beveling the horizontal rings. This is a ludicrous amount of polygons for a beer bottle unless it's some sort of cinematic hero object or a melee weapon, and even then, it's going to read poorly because you are using a 12-sided cylinder for the base (which is more than fine for a regular game-asset beer bottle) but then using multiple-loop bevels on the transitions between the neck and the bottom.

The proportions you've got there are a bit off from most beer bottles, which is OK if it's some sort of novelty-beer bottle brand but trying to sell that kind of stuff is hard as hell - it's a lot easier to make something that looks like the normal, everyday stuff than to sell something that looks realistically distorted - IE, making wood panels is a lot easier to sell than selling vinyl with a wood veneer painted on. Finally, you really do not need to be modeling the bottle hollow as you've got at the top there, but if you are, that bottle is way too thick.

Between that and the wacky, fun-house proportions of your other props I think you really need to post your reference photos here immediately. If you do not have reference photos, that's your first problem - you need to get some.

If you do have reference, I want you to continuously look between the ref images and your images and find the inconsistencies. Feel free to take screen grabs and overlay them over the ref photos if that helps you improve your observational skills.

Looking at the full scene, it becomes very obvious you have not properly trained your eyes to spot the differences between your reference and the work you're creating.

When I say reference, by the way, I'm not saying blueprints and measurements - while these are certainly useful, your innate art skills (as opposed to your 'color-between-the-lines-and-tracing) skills will improve much more the more you use photographic and real-life reference to better train your eyes to examine and break down forms and shapes.
  • 5fingerdiscount
    :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: You the man, ghostscape!
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    Always, Always, Always add more sides to your cylinders before you start beveling the horizontal rings. This is a ludicrous amount of polygons for a beer bottle unless it's some sort of cinematic hero object or a melee weapon, and even then, it's going to read poorly because you are using a 12-sided cylinder for the base (which is more than fine for a regular game-asset beer bottle) but then using multiple-loop bevels on the transitions between the neck and the bottom.

The proportions you've got there are a bit off from most beer bottles, which is OK if it's some sort of novelty-beer bottle brand but trying to sell that kind of stuff is hard as hell - it's a lot easier to make something that looks like the normal, everyday stuff than to sell something that looks realistically distorted - IE, making wood panels is a lot easier to sell than selling vinyl with a wood veneer painted on. Finally, you really do not need to be modeling the bottle hollow as you've got at the top there, but if you are, that bottle is way too thick.

Between that and the wacky, fun-house proportions of your other props I think you really need to post your reference photos here immediately. If you do not have reference photos, that's your first problem - you need to get some.

If you do have reference, I want you to continuously look between the ref images and your images and find the inconsistencies. Feel free to take screen grabs and overlay them over the ref photos if that helps you improve your observational skills.

Looking at the full scene, it becomes very obvious you have not properly trained your eyes to spot the differences between your reference and the work you're creating.

When I say reference, by the way, I'm not saying blueprints and measurements - while these are certainly useful, your innate art skills (as opposed to your 'color-between-the-lines-and-tracing) skills will improve much more the more you use photographic and real-life reference to better train your eyes to examine and break down forms and shapes.
  • zerocoal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the next project my teacher allowed me to do a set of weapons that could be used as environmental props.

The human model was just for size reference. My friend found it online and sent it to me. It's called max_for_maya or something.

I started with an iron dagger. The references for it were extremely helpful, I think it was a screenshot from skyrim.

dagger.png

Next I made a gladius and used pictures from google images as my references. It's not exactly the same, but it's close. The tri count is much higher than I could have made it, I just wanted to put more detail into the handle. I'll probably take that stuff out when it comes time to actually put it in a game.

gladius.png

After the gladius I made a hammer. It was supposed to be like the war hammer/maul's from world of warcraft, but I couldn't find any references that were good enough for me to work off of. It ended up being a massive one-handed hammer instead of the 2-hander that I was aiming for, but I'm sure I could find a game where it would be believable.

hammer.png

Following mister hammer was a kite shield. It was easy enough to start out, but there was some trouble after I got done working on the front of it. The texture was pretty simple to make too. I think I'm starting to get used to UV mapping and texturing.

kiteshield.png

The last thing I made for this project was a dein nomos look-alike. I didn't get to make it as exact as I would have liked due to time constraints and frustration, but overall I like it.

deinnomos.png

C&C is still very much welcome. I look forward to you guys ripping me apart! :D

edit: The full album for my work can be found at photobucket
  • zerocoal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think anyone actually got to see the update, so I'm gonna bump this one more time before the next update.
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    I think you're having the same problem again that you did previously - what Ghostscape said.

your props aren't quite matching up with one another, a few are cartoony, one is realistic-ish, and they don't really resonate.

With your next update, I think you should post your references along with the things you're working on, so we can give some more detailed feedback.

Also, this might sound jackassy, but I think you could find a billion and 1 better models to use the show off your models for size reference with. Even a properly sized Biped would be more efficient.
  • zerocoal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the most recent project I was given the opportunity to make plants. I made a few trees and a few flowers and then put them in unity to show them off during presentation. I designed these trees with the intents of using them in an RTS, so they don't really look beautiful from up close.

tree3.png

tree1.png

ScreenShot2012-03-21at124422PM.png

lily.png