Home Technical Talk

Rectangular UVMAP

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
Hello , I was making this kind of round obbject and I wanted to use the most from my uvmap space , I was wondering if is possible to use a rectangular map in 3dsmax and zbrush to bake as well in xnormal .... Or do I need to stretch it into a square?

75814638.jpg

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scale your UVs into a square shape, then bake to a non-square texture depending on the scale setting you used.

Scale UVs 0.5 on one axis then the texture needs a 2:1 ratio (eg. 2048 X 1024)
    Scale UVs 0.25 on one axis then the texture needs a 4:1 ratio (eg. 4096 X 1024)

Though I've heard that some game engines perform poorly with non-square textures while some don't care.

Alternatively you can scale those UVs to take up half of the 0-1 UV space square and use the empty space for another prop. This works well if they will be in the same scene and share the same general color (as to not mip badly at a distance).
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    it's that I wanted the most detail possible on the main round fornt face of this object wich is a shied , and eventually less on the bakc but still ...

the engine of skyrim seems to support non square texturing that's why I tought to use a rectangular shape ...
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    you can just mash it into the square UV space in max, and hwen you bake it will streatch back out to it;s proper res if you set a wide bake resolution like 2048x1024.

just keep it power of 2 and fairly standard sizes like 2048x1024 or 1024x512 etc
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    If you load a non square image into the unwrapper it'll change the aspect ratio of the uv boundaries for you
  • NAIMA
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NAIMA polycounter lvl 14
    I was thinking to bake singularly the front and the back in two different stage then mount the texture on a rectangular texture in PS , woudl this be a common or good practice for engines that support non square textures?