Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ice Pick Modeling

Hi all

I'm modeling an ice pick for a game and I'm having a bit of trouble with the topology. I used half a cylinder cap to make the rounded ends of the flat planes and I notice some dark shadows on the surface when I rendered.

Any advice on this shape? I've got a lot of places where square forms meet spherical and cylindrical forms.

Thanks in advance.

ice_pick0a.jpg

ice_pick0b.jpg

ice_pick0c.jpg

Replies

• Natocwal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey there,

Your pick is coming along nice, definatly have the design looking quite like the real thing.

But i recommend you try creating the handle from a box with multiple edgeloops and just move the vertices around.

Also for an object that is small, you are use way to many polygons. You should consider simplifying it but still keep the sillhouette, for instance: on the metal, you don't even need all those edge loops, just have one at the bottom and one at the top.
  • Cb_ArTs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey rabscuttle,
    I guess you're trying to model a High-Poly version of the Ice-Pick.
    First of all, you should understand the basics of Topology, especially when it comes to Highpoly-modeling you should have a real good understanding of how your topology is meant to look like.

Basically you can say, that HP-models make use of "quads", your model is based on quads and edgeloops, to achieve a better result, i would recommend you to watch some Highpoly-tutorials, so that you'll understand the basics of how a High-poly-mesh is built, this will not only help you to achieve results without errors, but also speed up your workflow.

If you need any tutorials, i will see what i can find, just tell me :)

greez cb
  • DarthRevan182
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know nothing about HP modelling but the weird shadow effect could be your smoothing groups :)
  • Cb_ArTs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey,
    I know this doesn't exactly show the model you need,
    but i did this in 2 mins, and i hope it helps you understand what i mean, especially in terms of speed and topology:

gd4ol4y2.jpg

Greez Cb, tell me if this helped, otherwise i can also make a quick tut on how i'd approach that pickaxe
  • rabscuttle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cb_ArTs - thank you so much for that quick model. I think I understand now. I need to remove those triangles around rounded parts of the flat planes. Perhaps that was what was giving me some weird shadows. I did make some shading groups. I smoothed the curving portions of the handle and kept the flat planes of the handle hard. But I guess where all those triangles in the arc come together - that made the shading on the normals weird.

Thanks to everyone else who replied. I really appreciate the crits and the suggestions. You guys rock.
  • Cb_ArTs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're welcome, always happy to help :)