Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dark Eldar Wrack Model - Feedback appreciated

Hi, I've been modelling for about a month now and have been getting used to a lot of the technical aspects of digital modelling. This is my first real attempt at a model, going down a full pipeline and hopefully soon to finish (trying to model around work schedule).

I decided to do a Dark Eldar Wrack, for those who don't know its a warhammer 40k model with lots of very bulbous organic forms that are relatively easy and fun to model. I've been on this model for a couple hours now and had to apply a dynamesh in order to level out the topology (I tried to manually do it and nearly went insane, knowing it was only to level out the topo and that I'd have to do it again probably at the end to get a lower poly model).

Anyways, any critiques about it or tips on proceeding with the completed high poly, which should be done soon, would be very greatly appreciated. If I've left any info out that could help in critiquing, please let me know too.

Thanks!

Edit-- Just uploaded an update of the retopology so far, just curious if anyone has any general comments on the topology. I'm going to load up a more comprehensive set of shots when I'm done, I'm still getting the grasp of topology.

tumblr_lzbnbngCIo1qiuvnxo1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1329206565&Signature=all56E9W6AYgQa1Si6KHS9poYxY%3D

tumblr_lz2562y5Sm1qiuvnxo1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1328762757&Signature=14YrkRkv4I5seLrnCoRnj755%2Fsk%3D

Replies

• Caldria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caldria polycounter lvl 8
    hehe, awesome man. I actually play dark eldar on the tabletop ^^

looks good so far. Just one potential issue: above his tricep, the point where it joins to the shoulder/back - the muscle flow looks a bit odd.

Other than that it's looking rather close to the mini/concept. looking forward to seeing more ^^
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    The anatomy is a tad off, especially in the arms. To be honest though, since this is your first go at a model like this I would just say ignore it. Concentrate on creating an interesting looking hi poly model more so than what is anatomically correct.
  • GreatMarco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha , that's awesome caldria, I'm building one up now :)

That's a good point about the tricep, I didn't even see that, I'll probably fix that now that I do.

Aside from the tricep though, I think you have a good point too, bardler, I'll see if I can just get the model done so I can perhaps start fresh on a new one.

Thanks for the critiques!
  • GreatMarco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's just an update on the model

--

tumblr_lz5qmni0VA1qiuvnxo1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1328930916&Signature=TSdfA8gIZSeR9DhqOk0A6xR53dY%3D

tumblr_lz5qp43RkB1qiuvnxo1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1328931121&Signature=5xzBNclrQnxsy0pBVdtuXEi0fQ8%3D
  • GreatMarco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a small update on the topology, and just wanted to show where I'm at so far. Again, this is the first model I'm going to be taking all the way through the pipeline and to finish so any crits on the topology or general sculpt would be awesome. I'll be uploading a more comprehensive set of shots once but for now, if any pros out there spot any obvious problems, lemme know!

thanks in advance!

tumblr_lzbnbngCIo1qiuvnxo1_1280.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ6IHWSU3BX3X7X3Q&Expires=1329206565&Signature=all56E9W6AYgQa1Si6KHS9poYxY%3D