Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brick Pillar Critique (Zbrush)

So heres a pillar i'm doing for an Cambodian style temple environment. About halfway through i started losing confidence about the way it was looking and the direction it was headed. I'm more comfortable with the way it looks now.

But I would still love some suggestions on how can i improve it. Are the details to small? too big? More or less damage? ANY help will be appreciated :)

*I haven't started the top of the pillar*
12.png
11.png

Replies

• SgtNasty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It would be helpful to see the composition of the entire scene, just so that we have a frame of reference for how large these pillars are, and how close to the camera they will be.

Also, try sculpting this with a different material, "Red Wax" shows the very small details that you most likely won't see when you bake it down (assuming you are baking this to a low poly, could be wrong). I prefer the grey one (matcap grey? something like that), sorry can't remember the exact name off the top of my head.

In terms of what you have done so far, it's alright. I would need to see what you are aiming to achieve for a better crit, but at the moment, the pillar seems pretty straight and flat, not a lot of damage and a basic silhouette. If this temple is run down or old, I might take the mallet brush to some of those edges to give it a more interesting silhouette.

Check this stuff out: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387929&postcount=114

Hope this was helpful
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not too bad.

It looks like you went straight to the micro-detail, though. You have no larger shapes in there.
  • longhornfan25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I should gave some more info on this. ha:poly124:

I agree on it needs a more of a silhouette. I was trying to get the basic pillar down first then do what you said and take the mallet brush to it and make some different variations.
    yeah i was thanking the details so far were a little too small for it, I'll try the grey metcap

As far as a reference, I'm going for something in this ballpark
    13.png
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    The damage is very well sculpted, you'll get some lovely normals from it for sure. The only problem I see is the base/top of the pillar. It has too many segments to it, and some of them are rather rounded and sloped whereas the rest of the sculpt is right-angled and has sharp edges. Try to have maybe 2 - 4 layers to the top and bottom, but put more time into them, make them interesting to look at. Having like 6 or 7 layers looks rather muddled in this case. The two main offenders are the big sloped ones just above the first decorated tier, they look out-of-place and aren't as detailed as the rest of the model.
  • longhornfan25
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help guys

kartoon, when you say 2-4 layers are you talking about the brick layers? Or the layers in the base/top of the pillar?

EDIT: nevermind, I understand what your saying