Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anthro dolphin Character

Kruk
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Kruk polycounter lvl 6
Hello ;] this is my first post on PC XD im not mutch a chatacter modeler or concept artist but i whanted to play around ;p + i was told by a frient ro try out sculptris and that how it all started XD.
72261969.jpg
47219983.jpg
55092555.jpg
59863873.jpg
66793018.jpg
29725178.jpg
82729471.jpg
33578250.jpg

I'm counting on you guys to help me improve ;]

Replies

• GlenGramling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its pretty good as far as technical execution. As far as aesthetics go though, i personally don't think its very creative, its just a man with the head of the dolphin, i would have tried to go for something that's a little more believable genetically. For instance if a dolphin were to actually evolve into a humanoid what would it look like. Maybe start out with something like the picture below as reference and speculate what the rest of his body would look like.

58_pics_1204189444.jpg

you have pretty good sculpting chops though, and i would definitely like to see more :)
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with Glen. Especially the tail just looks awkward and out of place.
  • Ikosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the picture you linked isn't a dolphin, or did you do that on porpoise?
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This doesn't work at all..there is no thought in how the character would be able to function.

The tail is just hanging there, where are the muscles to make it move, how do they attach to the back? How does he support such a lopsided, heavy head?
  • loneraver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loneraver triangle
    The modeling, UVs and sculpting are great. But it just looks like a human model with a dolphin head stuck on it. Without much thought of how the muscle structure would change to support it.
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    I agree with what everyone else is saying. Even more so, though, because typically "anthro" characters have a body to match their animal head. Bear-people are typically endomorphic, dog-people are mesomorphic, and cat people are ectomorphic.
    somato3.jpg
    When I think dolphin, I do not think bulging muscles and and body builder physique. I think sleek, streamlined, and rubbery.

Your character's head and tail look like they do not belong on that body.
  • 9skulls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9skulls polycounter lvl 13
    I disagree what everyone is saying. I think it's perfect. Looks streetsharksy enough to me, so it's a win.

Of all the things, the tail makes the least sense. LQL.
  • gbencharski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ikosan wrote: »
    the picture you linked isn't a dolphin, or did you do that on porpoise?

This is pure gold. HAHAHAHAHA
  • Kruk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kruk polycounter lvl 6
    Heh yeah that's my problem not enough understanding of functionality ;>.
    I should take my time on planning... even on something practically simple ;p.
    I need to read more on anatomy or biology (bought a cool book on dinosaurs and lizard anatomy that might help XD ). Also real life drawing could be good?

9skulls thx i'm also into cartoons too XD but this one i failed ;p

THX everyone for your support ;]
  • GlenGramling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man its pretty good for someone who is "not much of a character artist" so its not really a fail. Just try to get a little more thought into the next one, Maybe a giant whale humanoid :D