Home Technical Talk

Planar vs Box moddeling

Can someone please explain the difference between planar and box modeling, and explain the pros and cons of each?

Replies

• cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    With box modeling, you're starting from a volume (could be a cube, sphere, or whatever other primitive shape serves as a good starting point for what you're trying to model). The focus tends to be more on establishing the overal forms, and gradually refining it to establish the detail and edgeloops.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac4qV2uIF3Q"]Human Head Modeling [HD] : ???? - YouTube[/ame]

Planar Modeling on the other hand is pretty much starting from a polygon and extruding the edges out incrementally. The common approach seems to be to establish key loops first (such as isolating the mouth and eyes), and then working on connecting everything together.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V5IFC0fqPA"]3D Studio MAX - Head Modeling Part 2 of 5 - YouTube[/ame]

IMO, planar puts the focus more on establishing edgeloops first and is much more dependent on having good orthographic references in order to follow, while box modeling puts the focus more on getting the shape down first and isn't hindered by not having orthographic references
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    If you're just beginning, try the planar/edge extrude method. For some reason people always recommend box modelling for beginners, but unless you're already good at redirecting edge flow then you'll probably keep hitting a brick wall.

Quickly establish your main face loops with edge extrusion. Get the size and spacing fairly consistent, then work on cleanly filling in the spaces. Use the minimum number of faces you can at first as it's much easier to tweak. Basically, you're "drawing" profiles of your mesh in poly strips, then filling the gaps. Orthographic references aren't necessary to do this at all, although they can help a lot if you're just learning.
  • cryrid
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    For some reason people always recommend box modelling for beginners, but unless you're already good at redirecting edge flow then you'll probably keep hitting a brick wall.

I think it is recommended because it teaches the habit of blocking things in. I couldn't count the number of beginners I've seen that think they need model sheets to model anything, or the ones who will have a model with decent loops by the basic planes and proportions are all off because they were too focused on connecting the loops and not the overall shape they were creating.

It could boil down to the background of the user. Some people pick up 3d while having an existing art background, and so they can more easily focus on just the edge loops. Others might be learning art through 3d, and so they need to train their mind to be able to block things out in the way a traditional illustrator might block out a figure.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    That makes sense, but it's still a much tougher technical exercise to box model a head, for example. Personally, I use a mixture of both, along with all sort of other crap depending on the asset (using splines/NURBS, retopologising a speed sculpt etc.). My initial aim is almost always to get tweak friendly low-density topology which I can pull into correct proportions easily.

I just have bad memories learning to model by extruding from volumes, and I don't think I'm alone here. I see lots of beginner models which look almost identical to the abortions I was making about 12 years ago :D
  • Anchang-Style
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Well i tried Face Extrusion for the last WEEK every day 4 hours and didn't get anywhere usefull because it's hard to see where your next edge is going to because you can't follow the right curve my woman face ended up 50kg heavier than aimed at...because it was hard in the end to push all the points onto a proper shape (i wish for a move function like in Zbrush).
    Maybe mix them up how to do mouth, nose, eyes i know...just the rest, but the rest seems easier with box modelling...