Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My PP19 Bizone

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
megasean polycounter lvl 7
C:%5CUsers%5Cstudent%5CDesktopShame on me on doing this at one time. This is a PP19 Bizone I've been working one it's I have my high and low poly and I would appreciate it if I could get some feed back on it. I'm new to polycount so......here's a link to my post while I figure this place out.
http://seandetta.tumblr.com/post/17191316123/pp19bizone

Replies

• Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    Go ahead and add the images to your post. It's pretty simple.

[ img ] url.goeshere.com/image.jpg [ /img ]

Minus all the spaces, ofcourse.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    great choice for a gun to model, very cool looking and an unusual magazine set-up. the model is identifiably the bizon right away, and pretty decent material definition.

a few crits:

pretty wasteful UV sheet, and when the texture is on white, if the engine draws the texture smaller you'll probably have white edges show up on your texture, too. so fill in the diffuse base color of the model into the background, and generally increase the island sizes so that they're more efficient. don't need to crowd the texture with pixels right on other pixels, but it could be more efficient no problem. also, there are some weird little tiny UV islands i am not sure what they map to, but probably something that could be folded into a larger map, or grouped better?

the high polygon shapes are pretty good, just need some tweaks so edges read better. you have the main shapes there absolutely, and you have the very fine scratches, but very few shapes/dents etc that read from further out, beyond the main shapes.
    one of notable issues though is the flash hider, which appears to be a single bent piece of metal, rather than a dimensional cylinder with a thicker edge and more structure. an issue with both the high and the low.
    here's a good example of really excellent weapon modeling that has excellent bakes and great high poly sculpts, the gun models for brink by 3point studio (all polycounters). http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85669

study those models, look at how if you zoom out the images most of the details are still very clearly visible, even before it's textured. they exaggerate some details before baking in order so that they stand out better on the normal map. study the images linked in the thread.

speaking of the low polygon model, the swing swivel could be beefier to be more visible, and you havent given enough polygons to the safety/select lever on the side, it's a pretty big part of any AK-pattern weapon.

also, the most pressing issue is that you don't need to include all the ribbed detailing on the underside of the grip/magazine. in first or third person, not an area that the player sees a lot, so you can just go ahead and let the normal map carry most of that information and not model it into the low. a lot of those polygons belong in the safety switch.

and welcome to polycount! keep posting, keep working through the crits and you'll be on your way.
  • megasean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megasean polycounter lvl 7
    Sorry for the late reply, but you so much!!! I wish I would've looked at this a month ago lol. Hopefully soon, I'll make some of those changes and post some updates. Thanks again.