Home Unity

specularity and beast

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
bugo polycounter lvl 17
Why do when I bake something with Beast, my whole specularity and nmap is gone?
Looks like it's flattening it out. It only shows back when I add an extra light.
Is there a way to setup a light to be "specular trigger" only?

Thanks

Replies

• Esprite
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Esprite polycounter lvl 9
    To get Beast to jive with normals and spec you need to use dual lightmaps w/ deferred rendering enabled.

It should be under light map bake settings under mode.
    And to enabled deferred rendering it should be under Edit-Project Settings->Rendering Path -> Deferred.
  • holyjewsus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or you can check out the new directional normal maps in the 3.5rc1 beta release. Public on the unity site.

ahhh, forgot these are pro only for now at least.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Esprite wrote: »
    To get Beast to jive with normals and spec you need to use dual lightmaps w/ deferred rendering enabled.

It should be under light map bake settings under mode.
    And to enabled deferred rendering it should be under Edit-Project Settings->Rendering Path -> Deferred.

Thanks for the reply guys, it worked!
    One other issue is that I can't get the lighting to look great. I guess I need to play with it a bit more to get the best results. Any ideas if there's a way I can bake from the skylight already in the set?
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    yeah if you are using pro there should be a self illum shader that could work? otherwise I would just suggest lighting the scene manually
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's a skylight option in the Bake tab. Solid color, but works pretty well.
  • Brendan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    Has anyone tried cheesing it and going for IBL with a dome mesh and HDRI applied as emissive/self illum?
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    There's a skylight option in the Bake tab. Solid color, but works pretty well.

Right, I most wanted to have HDR maps, or even what brendan said, cheating HDR with emissive. Thanks tho Eric.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I recently cheated/faked an hdr map style lighting in unity indie with about 20 point lights in a light dome and manually set each light to the colour of the scene behind it, it works fairly well but is very laborious
  • Jaysin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can get Beast to use IBL under the custom XML settings. This link will let you know about most of the hidden lightmapping settings available when you use the custom XML settings. The only downside is that there is no visible skydome of your HDR image nor a widget or setting to change the rotation other than manually offsetting the image in Photoshop.

I would also highly recommend using the 2nd integrator Path Tracer that's mentioned at the bottom of this document. It has sped up my bakes by a huge margin and I have yet to find a downside to using it.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    well i tried doing IBL with a skydome and emissive, and it worked realy good.
    i endet up lowering the intensity and adding a skylight so i still get some shadows, results look realy well to me.
  • commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    You should use Directional Lightmaps over Dual Lightmaps for pretty much any scene. If you dont you wont get any specular or normal map shading from indirect light. Directional Lightmaps will also be way faster.
  • Jaysin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You should use Directional Lightmaps over Dual Lightmaps for pretty much any scene. If you dont you wont get any specular or normal map shading from indirect light. Directional Lightmaps will also be way faster.

For sure, the new directional lightmaps are awesome. One hint, in a scene I baked I was getting some really weird artifacts in the specular. I was about to rebake, but then I went into the normal maps properties and turned it to truecolor instead of compressed and the artifacts went away. They were caused by compression artifacts.