Home Unreal Engine

Animset is WAY off from what it should be

scaled.php?server=843&filename=udkvsmax.jpg&res=medium

And these are my import settings
scaled.php?server=851&filename=importsettings.jpg&res=medium

What's wrong? The animation plays fine in Max like its supposed to but when I bring it into UDK it gets super wonky, except at the middle part, it looks like its supposed to on that frame for some reasontSWuDtSWuD

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    theres a checkbox in the animset editor (skelitalmesh editor) that says something like rotation only. uncheck that and see what happens. also look in that same editor to make sure unreal has all of the bones imported.
  • Skummel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I used the checkbox for rotation, it made it a little better but more or less the same result :/ I clicked on a button that showed me the bones and for some reason the bones were a smaller scale outside the mesh, I think thats what messed it up. Even though in Max the bones are the same size and are not poking through the mesh.

Tried messing with Freezing transformations and scaling and such but still got the same results. Eventually I gave up and skinned a fresh set of bones onto the mesh, reanimated it, and it worked fine.

Strange, twas nothing different than what I did the first time. Just a fluke I guess :?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, i have had issues sometimes with animations in udk. i once had animated a door in max and in udk the mesh itself was completely destroyed (almost looked as if it melted). out of curiosity, did u export this as fbx or .psk?
  • Skummel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fbx I was working on max 2012 which no long supports ActorX so I couldnt export as a .psk :/ I have a feeling a psk might have turned out fine too haha. Which did you use?

Also sorry for taking so long to respond
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when i did that it was a psk. truth be told ive never exported as fbx so i wouldnt have the slightest of clues about it. have you come across any solutions or fixes yet?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    suggestion: Export to fbx, then re-import into a new scene in max. see if it looks right or has the errors.
    Then you can at least know if its a file structure or import error.

Make sure you have the latest version of the FBX plugins for max.

Barring those. try removing the skin modifier from your mesh, collapsing the stack. Reseting xform, collapse again, then re-skin at frame 0.

Also know that UDK normally assumes frame 0 to be the bind pose. (there may be a checkbox for that somewhere) So make sure its not deformed at that frame. :)