Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Foliage complications

Hello people of polycount I am new here. I am also a noob, still got about 2 years to get to college so I'm trying to learn as much as I can, meanwhile I'm working on a small personal project, I wouldn't call it a game because I probably wouldn't be able to finish it but I'm doing my best. Anyway, back to the task at hand. Here's my current foliage:
CurrentFoliage.png
Rendered in UDK. Everything in the scene is original, but that's a problem because the grass planes don't match up with the grass texture as good. So would you guys have any tips for making a grass texture that could go with my planes, or well ANY kind of tips would help too, I'm willing to learn from you guys, please do share your information.

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Paint the textures in the same style and colors. The grass planes and ground grass texture are two different types of grass.

Also, you can alpha the base of grass planes to blend them into the ground.
  • CosmicCoconut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden wrote: »
    Paint the textures in the same style and colors. The grass planes and ground grass texture are two different types of grass.

Also, you can alpha the base of grass planes to blend them into the ground.

So the best way to make the ground texture is to hand-paint it (the current one is photosourced)? Also thanks a lot for the alpha tip, will do.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    well, u should at least use the same color palette.
    its not totally neccessary to repaint your ground texture if it fits in the style.