Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WoW Style house WIP

Umbral
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Umbral polycounter lvl 10
Attempting to model this little guy from some WoW concept art. I still need a doorway and I need to uvw map and texture a lot of pieces still.

worldofwarcraftcataclysy.th.jpg

wip01g.th.jpg

Wires
wip01wire.th.jpg

All C&C appreciated.

Replies

• Bauken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bauken polycounter lvl 8
    A good start. I would definitely try to push the stylized look of the concept art. unless you have a poly limit, i'd add geo to the roof and walls to make them more curved. what you have so far feels much thinner / straighter / more upright than what is in the concept. Apart from that, it's a good start.:)
  • Umbral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bauken wrote: »
    A good start. I would definitely try to push the stylized look of the concept art. unless you have a poly limit, i'd add geo to the roof and walls to make them more curved. what you have so far feels much thinner / straighter / more upright than what is in the concept. Apart from that, it's a good start.:)

Thanks, I'm trying to keep it as low poly as possible. I think I have enough geometry to sag the roof and mess with the walls a bit. I'm in the process of exaggerating the sags and scale of parts of the building. I appreciate the feedback!
  • Umbral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, tweaked the proportions. I still need to add textures for the walls, windows, chimney and add a door. All C&C Welcome!
    wip02r.th.jpg
  • Umbral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New textures for the walls and windows, added a door. I sill need to make a couple more textures. One for the lamp at the top and one for the chimney. All textures are hand painted (I didn't want to use photo sourcing). C&C Appreciated!
    wip03v.th.jpg
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I'm not getting that 'hand-painted- feeling from your textures.

http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

Stylistically the textures and details are a LOT bigger, and a lot more bevelled. They use visible brush strokes, and the strokes are much more deliberate and impressionistic.

World-of-Warcraft-Gets-Official-Remote-Auction-House-2.jpg

There also seems to be a LOT more tonal variance. If I squint my eyes a bit, the shingling on the roof looks completely flat.

In WoW you would get more overarching tonal variances.
    warcraft-house.jpg

Also seems like you're missing a lot of saturation in your colours. Usually in WoW the saturation are pretty drastic. Almost like the pallettes you'd see in a disney movie.

players-chilling-between-the-bank-and-the-auction-house-world-of-warcraft-screenshot-62057.jpg

I'm starting to wonder the value of guys learning keeping the polycount low at the cost of sacrificing the quality of the art. (Something I've noticed happening more and more).

If this isn't an actual asset going into WoW, but more something for your portfolio, then by all means, add the curves and shapes needed to make it look good. What most game studios are looking for is polygon efficiency, not necessarily low polycounts. If they can SEE you only add the polygons when they're necessary (and not all over the place for no reason) then that's really the only base you'll need to cover in that regard.
  • Umbral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Jacque, that's way more than I expected. I appreciate the time you took to look up all of that reference for me. I guess the reason why I kept if so low poly is because I was trying to emulate what I saw in game. What you're saying does make sense though, no one wants to look at stuff that they've seen before. I'll tweak the poly count and add curves and bevels where it makes sense. And thanks for the art tutorial, I know what I'll be reading for a while!

and p.s.
    Your Mega-Man is kicking ass.