Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Medieval Waterwheel

Hello everyone. I've been tasked with building a medieval waterwheel for class that will be put into udk. Here are the reference images.

med_waterwheel_front.jpg

med_waterwheel_side.jpg

med_waterwheel_back.jpg

This piece is actually part of a small town but i wont be creating the entire thing because that would just take too long. Im just going to create a scene next to a river for this.

Replies

• rkwongwai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some progress. I actually fixed that big tiling flaw already and im working on getting the geometry of the stairs to align to the material. Got another strategy for the roofing also. Any crits are welcome.

render04.jpg
  • Macattackk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    its not good to have those deep shadows like that in your roof texture. try to eliminate the lighting in photoshop. what you can do is then add geometry and pop certain roof parts out so that it creates natural shadows. that will also help with mip mapping since it will look crappy from the player's view if they are looking at the roof at a steep facing angle
  • rkwongwai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx Mac. Yeah I was creating it in zbrush in 2.5D. I messed up the original ztool and didnt tilt it to create that nice overlap im missing. I'll also add some geometry in there and distort the roof so its not perfectly flat like you said.
  • rkwongwai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unfortunately this is what i have to turn in for midterms. Had some problems with my lightmaps and god knows what else.

?action=view&current=render01.jpg
  • rkwongwai
  • Prtofdacrowd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prtofdacrowd polycounter lvl 8
    Its definitely got great potential, however the straight up reference copy was a little disappointing. You could have interjected a lot of great personality and storytelling.

Overall the final piece looks really nice in engine, but the screenshot you have posted is very flat and whitewashed. Did you mess with the Post Processing in UDK?

One fast fix is drop the thick exponential fog, not too fine either enough to blend a nice skydome. Use a Dominant Directional to get a nice harsh hit on one side and some interesting shadowplay on on side i recommened from somewhere in-front of the tree is a good place to bring the direction in on the building, remember to add some contrast to the lighting and you'll really pop your piece
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    2 things I would tweak - the wooden beams and the water wheel are much simpified from the ref - as key parts of the read I's ike them to be slightly more detailed, I think they wouldadd a lot of interest.

Also the asset's textures are not too harmonious, making the doors, 2 kinds of stone and thatch seem incongruent - maybe finesse those textures a bit. How did you handle the unwrap if I may ask?
  • rkwongwai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments. I did actually get a little post processing in there. I missed that week of class so my instructor helped me out a little right before turn in. I agree with the reference being a little sad by itself. This piece is actually part of an entire village and all together it would look great. Im a noob when it comes to post processing so i just messed around with it. I would like to get back in there and tweak those textures too and do some vertex painting so the pieces look like they belong in there.

For the unwrap some of them are just quick box unwrap because they're tileable textures. The doors were a quick flatten map which i know is sloppy .

screenshot.jpg

still a lot to be done but currently working on the final for that class now.
  • Helba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a little too much post processing? :\
  • rkwongwai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha ya...my instructor was just like KAAAHHHHHNNNN all over my keyboard and he was like here type some stuff in and get a screenshot. I was like uhhhh....