Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-fi Weapon Project -WIP

Hi everyone, :)

I wanted to post a WIP of my current project, the project my final for school. The idea behind it is two sci-fi weapons one being a Sniper rifle the other being some sort of assault rifle.

I've never really done Hard surface modelling before so I'm having issues with creating the inticate detailed pieces on the weapon. Anyway this is where I'm at after 2 weeks, wanted to give it a mass effect feel.

The trigger guard and grip are just basic shapes im toying with.

Please let me know what you think and what I can do better.:)

SniperWIP3.JPG

SniperWIP2.JPG

SniperWIP5.JPG

Replies

• Macattackk
    Offline / Send Message
    Macattackk polycounter lvl 7
    looks good. is this your highpoly? seems like some areas could have more tessellation like what i think is the trigger.

some areas in the butt stock seem a little empty compared to the rest of the gun. and im not sure i like the shape of the guard for the hand holding the gun steady. seems a little wonky. try using curves to get a base shape for things like that so its more organic and fluid.
  • TimPogson
    Macattackk,

Yes this is my highpoly, I actually have no trigger yet just the guard and the grip. My idea around the grip and the guard is that it follows the line of the stock.

The blue line is the line i want the guard to form into and the red is where the trigger would be kinda.

SniperWIPIDEA.JPG
  • zakhar2
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    I dont really see how a person would be able to get a decent hold on the grip. Just seems a little bit awkward.
  • TimPogson
    Update(Finally).

After kinda reworking it to make it more functional I decided to drop the tubes and stuff and made the grip more grip-able :). Anyway how my AO and normal turned out. I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out, I have to fix a couple errors in the normal but that's all.

SniperAOonly.JPG

SniperAOonly2.JPG

I've started to texture it but I'm kinda hitting a roadblock as to what colors to go with, so I put together a couple sheets for color layouts.

GunSet1.jpg

GunSet2.jpg

Once I get the colors figured out I'm really gonna ding this thing up and make it weathered. The graffiti idea on the side is just testing things out. I really loved the resistance idea from brink so I was thinking of going with that feeling.

I would love to hear what everyone thinks of the different colors and what ones they think work and don't work. As always any crits are great.
  • KSMO
    this is great! i love the design. did you concept it your self??

any chance we can get a shot of the wireframe?

as far as color schemes go.. choices 1 and 2 kind of remind me of Brink weapons. i think i like number 2 or 3 the most.

have you thought of using something like camouflage in stead of a solid color? maybe vary up the colors of the scope to break it up as well

nice work.
  • Darkleopard
    Looking nice :)

I dont like the blue and green ones so much simply because they would stand out on a battlefield.
    Im going to have to say the last one is my favourite, for the colour scheme, although the placement of the colours might be off. The top feels a little to heavy with the darker colour.
  • TimPogson
    KSMO, Thanks man ya the gun is my own design, I'm gladpeople like it :). I was thinking of a chipped self painted digital camo, almost like the guy who uses the weapon tried to do it himself.

here's the wires!

SniperWires.JPG
  • TimPogson
    Small Update!

Hey everybody,

I moved away from the super bright colors and started the weather it up.I want to make it feel like the gun has been through a lot almost like its been past from resistance fighter to resistance fighter I'm going to add more rust and color variation to the main body. I'm still not sure on the body color but, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sniper1stshot.JPG

Sniper2ndshot.JPG

Sniper3rdshot.JPG
  • R00
    Offline / Send Message
    R00 polycounter lvl 13
    Really Like this Tim! Keep up the great work mate :)
  • Sebeuroc
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Nice work man, the design looks slick!
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I feel the camo is a bit too noisy right now, try increase the size of the patern or lowering the contrast.
  • cain3D
    Hey Tim, great work here! The only crit I would say is the scale of the camo on the scope is WAY to large in comparison to the rest of the gun. Keep up the awesome work.
  • TimPogson
    Update,

Thanks to everyone I really appreciate the comments, I scaled down the camo on the scope. I think it helped a lot.

Ive been trying to mess with my spec map but I've never really done metal like this before, I thought it would be good to post my map up and see If I'm doing it right or wrong (hopefully right :) ). Also I've been dirtying the gun up, really trying to give it a resistance feel. So again any feedback is great please let me know if you see anything should be fixed, Thanks all.

SpecMapWIP.JPG

GunUpdate17th.JPG

GunUpdate17th2.JPG
  • Norron
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    I really like the design but your textures are getting a bit too busy for me. It's losing the cool chunky shapes that made it interesting. I liked it much better with the simple colors that you tried at first.