Home Technical Talk

"Smooth Group Import" plugin for zbrush???

I am currently working on a project for class and would like to use ZBrush for some awesome detail. I am trying to import a .OBJ from 3DS Max into zbrush with smoothing groups, and apparently (accourding to the Pixologic website) there is a plugin to crease the edges of smoothing groups (look up "Smooth Group Import" on google.) I have looked far and wide on the pixologic site, they even have a page defining the plugin, but i can't find anywhere to download it!!! I followed an online tutorial that claims to bypass the fact that smoothing groups are not recognized by zbrush, as we all know, and was hoping it would be effective. I followed the steps from this site: (it's a .PDF) (http://awalloftext.weebly.com/uploads/7/3/3/7/7337103/beginner_hard_surface_guide.pdf) and am currently stuck on the plugin part. (((BTW DO NOT use search&replace in notepad, go down to the section where "s" begins every other line of code and replace from there))) could someone help me out please? this project is due in one week, i just want to have even subdivision levels while retaining the integrity and sharp edges of my model. it's currently a blob in zbrush (subdiv 2), not a sweet ass dagger lol.

btw also, how do i post images of my work on forums? i'm new to polycount, but am avidly watching and learning, i would like to enter one of the competitions eventually lol.

THANKS!!
~Killadj (A.K.A. Dan)

Replies

• Killadj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have imported all of my objects with edge loops to retain the hard edges, but i'm looking for a more efficient and faster way to get this hi-poly model done, thats the basis of my post above :D
  • Norman3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norman3D polycounter lvl 14
    The Smooth Group Import plugin is only compatible with Zbrush 3.5

You can download it here:
    http://www.pixologic.com/zbrush/downloadcenter/zplugins/#zbrush3.php

As far as I know, they were working on a ZB4-compatible plugin.

Have you tried contacting tech support? They might be able to give you more information on the status of the plugin.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    my standard way to achieve this is to put a turbosmooth modifier on the object in 3ds max with "preserve smooth groups" checked with a high tesselation value and then export that model to zbrush. This way you get a hard edged model in zbrush.

You can then use "reconstruct lower subdivs" in zbrush if you want to go back down in tesselation.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    This functionality is built into ZB4> isn't it? You can do this with the CREASE button inside the geometry pallete, unless I'm not understanding what you are after? I've just tried it and it worked fine here on ZB 4.2 r1.

Send the object with smoothing groups setup to ZBrush using GoZ, open the GEOMETRY pallete, press the CREASE button so ZBrush adds the supporting edges into the mesh, DIVIDE away to your hearts content, press UNCREASE to remove the support loops.
  • Killadj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "my standard way to achieve this is to put a turbosmooth modifier on the object in 3ds max with "preserve smooth groups" checked with a high tesselation value and then export that model to zbrush. This way you get a hard edged model in zbrush."

I like this idea, i'ma try it out today and see if it works.
  • Killadj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    also, FAT_CAP, i am using ZBrush 4R2, and i can't find a crease option anywhere lol. I woud like to look further into you'r idea though, using GoZ (if you could give me the full name of the program that would be cool). I have a few friends who say they export into maya and use some tool in there to define crease edges, i'm not gunna try this because exporting alot just adds more time, which i don't have alot of lol
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Crease is in the Geometry Subpalette.
  • poopipe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    crease has been there since i started usin zbrush..

its behaving a bit oddly in r2 though - it gives me results i'd expect if there were non welded verts when there aren't any.
  • Killadj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i must have passed it up lol. I just started using XBrush about a month ago and am still learning everything about it. does the crease tool work on open geometry? i will be applying a mirror mod on the objects i am importing, all of them have open faces on the x axis.
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    Killadj wrote: »
    also, I woud like to look further into you'r idea though, using GoZ (if you could give me the full name of the program that would be cool).

GoZ IS the name of the program/ plugin. It is used to send the object directly to or from your modelling package to ZBrush.

It's probably worth looking over some of the "Getting Started with ZBrush" guides and videos on ZBrushCentral to get accustomed to things like this, where the crease tool is, what features are in the various palettes etc. ZBrush is a confusing mess of menus and sub-menus at first, but once you've got used to where your favourite tools, setting up a custom UI with them all accessible and hiding the rest of the lesser used stuff speeds your workflow up tremendously.