Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hoverhog

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Utility polycounter lvl 7
Hello boys and girls,

I've made a model for a school assignment- I call it the Hoverhog. It's based on a concept I drew up a few years ago. It's my idea of a retro hot-rodding of a hoverbike in the near-ish future; somebody's taken an ancient Fat Boy and made it fly! I plan on rigging and scripting it to work as a custom vehicle in UDK later. Here are some renders:

HHog7.jpg
HHog8.jpg
HHogSIDE.jpg

I still have to make the chrome material in UDK, as well as working on the diffuse (the screen will have an animated texture). I mirrored the model to save time and UV space, as well.

What do you think? Crits welcome. I also plan on adding some streamers to the handles and back vents (think of those strips people put onto AC units).

Replies

• BarnabyJones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the structure of your bike and the concept is cool. I feel like that front engine should be more attatched or closer to the body of the bike it feels like if you where to drive it the front end would come flying off. Also I feel like your textures are clashing a lot. When you look at normal motorcycles they have more uniform color schemes. Beyond that your model looks good.
  • Utility
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BarnabyJones: Thanks! Looking at the model now, I agree that the front fork looks kind of weak. The forks are meant for a wheel and I worked with it to accommodate the front thruster, but I think that it could look more secure. I'll work on that if/when I have time. As for the colour scheme, it is pretty uniform- black and chrome. The only other colour is the purple/blue flames on the gas tank and the screen on top. The chrome reflections might be a little intense and that could be throwing off the colour- that's on my todo list. I just rebuilt the shaders in UDK and I'm done for the night :D

I'll post more in the morning.
  • Utility
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update:

ribbons.png

IT CAN HAS RIBBONS NAO!!! Woo! Now to work on scripting it as a vehicle...
  • Utility
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And now... explosions. I tried modifying the Manta code and now every time I enter the vehicle it blows up. Good anti-theft device, bad for actually getting anywhere. Anyone good with UnrealScript? I feel like a naked baby in the woods.

33749079.png

So far, I've modified the mesh target, physical materials and camera (I think). Any help would be Awesome!
  • Utility
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Untitled.png

Cause I forgot the image.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
    Gav, did you change the texture on the version with the streamers? because the first post deff has some yellow/orange/blue in there, but im going to guess its the reflective material and that is from the skydome

mechanically im not sure how it works... the front vent/wheel appears to function the same as the back (im guessing) but the front one has no real attaching parts to the engine to operate like the back one would. but you might be too far into this project to remodel that kind of crap now.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol i expected a guy riding a hog/pig with hover jets on it.

Whoops
  • Utility
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @CandyStripes05 :O HOW DID YOU DISCOVER MY SECRET IDENTITY?!

Nope, I didn't change the texture, at least not that much. The first renders are from Maya and the one with the streamers is in the UDK engine. The chrome looks a lot different because I used reflective shaders (I think it was blinn + world material + something else) with a skydome in the Maya version. In the UDK one I used a metal texture with a really tiny and blurry cubemap texture (I can post the material chain if you're interested).

Mechanically, it's pretty simple. The only moving parts are the forks and the front hub. The forks turn it up, down, left and right, and the hub rotates up and down with the fork, depending on if you're ascending or descending.

Need halp on the coding though. I think it's either the physics of the skeletalMesh or the code itself.