Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

She Hulk

So, I finally managed to finish this piece. I started on it like 4 months ago but I always got side tracked working on other models. Ever since Marvel vs Capcom 3 came out I've been a huge She hulk Fan, she's the main character I use on my squad. After playing the game so much I decided to make my variation of her, I used Amber Rose and Nicki Minaj for photo reference. If I have enough free time I might do a King of Fighters character soon. Hope you like it!

shehulkcrop.jpg

Replies

• Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Awesome and maybe Nike can use this for some advertising :D
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    Her face does not look at ALL right to me. It might be the lighting or the angle, but currently she looks like a dude in drag from the neck up.

It's hard to tell because of the extremely skewed perspective and pose, but her arms might be short? Her pose is pretty stiff as well. If you put some angle into her neck and head, and made her left arm less of a straight line I think it would help.

Why is she covered in nike advertising? It's pretty distracting once you realize that literally every piece of clothing she has on (except maybe the gloves) has a nike brand on it.

Your materials are very good, though. Very nice texture on the leather.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    I gotta agree that the camera angle and head turned upward doesn't do this justice. A more straight forward shot of her face may reveal more insight to her face.

I dig the outfit alot. Seems like a cross-training style there. But as far as the nike branding, perhaps tone the branding down a little. I really like her shoes! looking good!

Overall looks really cool dude. but like it was said below. The crazy pose and camera really distracts from this piece.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some reference for you

khloe-kardashian.jpg
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i'm sorry but i thought she-hulk was supposed to muscular
    she just looks FIT
  • Loraine Howard iii
    thanks guys, guess I'll do another shot tomorrow and post it. This time I'll make it more straight forward.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    555d191f727bc9565b1054840d2cf199.jpg
    Yeahh... it's kinda stupid they made she-hulk all generically-slim feminine like.
  • AaronF3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice, are those the air Yeezy's on She-Hulk?
  • Loraine Howard iii
    n88tr- I wanted to make her more slim than the original

AaronF3D- lol, No they are not Air Yeezy but I used those for reference and the first Air Jordan's.

Hey guys I made another quick render, there's still things to touch up so don't freak out if you see something wrong with the render.. But I think this angle shows her face more,i'm gonna keep the pose but what do you guys think about the face now?

character.jpg
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    She hulk's appearance varies from artist to artist, but she's usually portrayed as having somewhat defined muscles, but nowhere near weightlifter.
    http://alturl.com/h2ax9
    Loraine probably has her on the slim side, but I don't thing he's way far off.

I still think her face looks jacked up. I'm also pretty sure her proportions are off. Could you post some orthographics from before you posed her?
  • Loraine Howard iii
    dirigible- I can promise you the face and proportions are not jacked, I spent crazy time going over those two things, maybe the hair throwing you off.:\
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dunno, man. All I can say is that it looks weird. It might be the uplighting, it might be the focal length on the camera, it might be the pose, it might be the hair.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    She does seem to have a very large head.

Could we get some working shots - unposed, untextured, wires and whatnot? Maybe one without the wig.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty good Marilyn Manson, but not so much She Hulk.

Lighting is playing some tricks here (mainly it's killing the face). It's off balancing the character by one half being bright, the other half being dark while the background is a bright white gradient. A tad painful on the eyes.

Speaking of balance, muscular conditioning. Around the pectoral, shoulder and bicep. She's dry and vascular (great for showing definition). The thighs, however, are soft and unconditioned YET vascular. Very unnatural and unbalanced.

It's really these little things that throw the whole thing off for the viewer. Overall a solid technical execution.
  • keizza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    keizza polycounter lvl 18
    my eye goes IMMEDIATELY to the shoulder...it's waaaaaay deformed. it comes so far from the body. the render and pres seems nice. kinda jumps off the page so to speak. but like i said...eyes go straight to the shoulder.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    i think the face isnt feminine enough. since her body is super jacked like a female body builder, you have to really compensate with a very feminine face.
    from that angle though, the chin is too wide, maybe the jaw too. the nostrils are too dark, dont paint them black. also theyre just a tad to close together. the nose might be upturned too much. for the eyes, i would say add more lashes, to really give it a fem look.
    also the should looks detached a bit, there should be a bit of collar bone near the top of the delts.
    it might be the uplighting youre using as well.
    good luck
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Hey guys you all are right, gonna hit the drawing board today. I think the main problem I'm having is the lighting and camera angle, it's playing tricks on the presentation of the piece.The shoulder might be off too, anyway I'm gonna fix these problems in the next couple days. I didn't come this far to stop now, thanks for the comments:)
  • Jeremy Wright
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    she hulk is supposed to become like a super model//body builder.

these are just right!

126672030.jpg

185083137.jpg
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    she looks really good so far. If you're returning to this I would maybe say her forearms are too long in relation to her upper arm. Also the clenched fist may have some skinning issues in the fingers or they may need beefing up a touch. The hair is maybe too perfect aswell, maybe add some variation, even straight hair crosses over itself a little. The conflicting lighting/shadows and perspective is probably the main issue though.

look forward to seeing the update :)
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    It looks like her forhead is going way to high up, elongating her head upwards. I think this is makeing her face look wierd. Oh, and the hair, dont take the easy aproach, challenge yourself and get some curls and flowing hair into her. As it is, it looks funky.
  • Loraine Howard iii
    zbrush pic

I'm gonna move her arm and shoulder closer to her torso and make her shoes smaller as well

hulk.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Her arms are quite short and look a bit small on the body. If you grabbed them from the shoulder down and scaled them up. In fact it looks kind if like the left arm is smaller and shorter than the right. Maybe something got messed up while you were posing her.

Being able to see an unposed version would help with critique if you've still got one.
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    I feel like the elbow is positioned to high up her arm. I think that scaling up her upper arm would fix both the elbow and arm length problem. (<especially her left arm)

Like Jackablade said, I think an un-posed version would show things more clearer.
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, it looks to me like you gave her a lopsided expression, a sort of smirk I guess.
    2wns582.jpg
    The problem is that you didn't sculpt any wrinkles to SHOW us that she's smirking. So instead it just looks like she has a crooked mouth and nose.

Also, your zbrush hair looks a lot more dynamic and interesting than your render hair.

EDIT: while checking out her hair I felt like something was wrong.
    1z14cif.png
    Her hair sticks up way high when it comes off her head. Remember that hair has weight. The longer and straighter someone's hair is, the closer it lies with their head (weight pulling it down). Her hair is very long, and very straight. Right now it's giving the illusion that her head is a good two inches taller than it actually is, making her look frankensteinish.
    2ir6ekh.jpg
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Yup, hair looks waaaaaaay better. Its not covering up her body and is adding much more interest to the piece. Even the version with no hair looks way better then what you have now.
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Hey guys I'm working on this right now and I've fixed half of things you guys requested. Thanks for the comments this site is way more helpful than zbrush central, Only way you can get comments on there is if you get top row. Hopefully when I'm done making all these changes it will get top row:)

whats_true-Not sure I have enough patience to make it exactly like it is in zbrush but we will see when I get there.

Alberto Rdrgz- I want her to be less muscular but still fit.

dirigible-you are right but i did the zbrush hair real quick, but I will take note when I work on the final hair again.

crazyfool-fixed it already

Jackablade-fixed it

MeintevdS-fixed it
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I will just have say to me this looks like a green woman, I don't see anything hulk about this and I find this quite sad.
    I would love to see this hulk by Anto Juricic.
    With woman features it would make it MUCH more interesting in my mind.

Just my opinion :)
    312077_1228389879_large.jpg
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Yeah, not very hulky, at all. Nice, but not Hulky.
    I was hoping for something like She-thing from Dexter's Lab:

tumblr_lvet9jhBa71r791bbo2_500.jpg
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Update, I tweaked a lot of issues with the model. Next I will try to achieve a camera angle like the one in the middle of the pic

ZBrushDocument-7.jpg
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    The elbow is still too high on the arm. The face looks better, but something about it still looks a little strange. I'd have to see closeups to critique more specifically. Compared to the rest of the anatomy, there's a ton of muscle definition on her deltoids, specifically the bottom part. They also bulge out a lot. Is there a reason that all of her clothing is Nike?
  • Loraine Howard iii
    jmt- I just want her to wear Nike apparel, Only thing that's annoying me is the elbow part. I scaled the upper arm and moved it down like everyone said. I can lower it more but it might make her bicep and triceps seem long then.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    she hulk is supposed to become like a super model//body builder.

these are just right!

185083137.jpg

Hubba Hubba O_O

...oh yeah, nice improvements :D
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    She Hulk has always looked different depending on the artist. Here are some comicbook reference drawings:

Red She Hulk (not Jen Walters, but good female muscle reference):
    h2-083.jpg
    red-she-hulk.jpg

She Hulk by Frank Cho:
    wizsketchmightyavengersshehulkbe9.jpg
    she-hulk-s-2.jpg
    She-Hulk_Thundra__Valkyrie.jpg
    she_hulk_study.jpg

She Hulk by Juan Bobillo:
    SheHulkJuanBobillo.jpg
  • Loraine Howard iii
    8FtSpider- Thanks man for the reference man.

Is the elbow fine now, I moved it down. If so I'm gonna move on to rendering. Oh and if anybody curious who I based her off of here you go.

ZBrushDocument-8.jpg
    amber_rose--300x300.jpg
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the first reference suggestion. I laughed so hard.

I agree with everyone but I would also take a look at the earrings. They shouldn't be at an angle. They should fall with gravity.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    If I may, bigger boobs ?
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Here's an update, I changed a lot of things. Next I want to tighten the fist more on the left hand, play around with the light setup more,and experiment with the spec map. Oh I also need to clean up some of the seams.

character-1.jpg
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    rendering is nice, mats are nice, sculpting is nice but ...DAT NOGGIN! May I suggest-
    LHPO.jpg
    otherwise ace work
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Dan!-hahahahah I gonna put hair on her.
  • jmt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmt
    The face and body anatomy look much better in the most recent screenshot. The hand poses look a bit awkward. Is she going to hold anything?
  • Fryght
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another good possible ref:
    0uiX1.jpg

Dana is super ripped but still looks very feminine (despite most of the boob fat being gone)
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Whoa, the changes you've made are really great! I agree with Dan though - even though you are going to give her hair, the head beneath should be the correct proportions and shape, otherwise the hair will look too poofy/high.
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Dan!'s suggestion as well... otherwise, she is looking great!
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What Dan said.
    Also I think she looks really tired. She has some pretty intense wrinkles under her eyes, which Dan softened in his paintover. I would also open her eyes up a little bit, make her look more alert.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    shorter skull and maybe the roundness of this girl's face will help the model a whole lot!
    amber_rose--300x300.jpg
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    dirigible wrote: »
    What Dan said.
    Also I think she looks really tired. She has some pretty intense wrinkles under her eyes, which Dan softened in his paintover. I would also open her eyes up a little bit, make her look more alert.

Yup, and giving the eyebrows an expression can help with her character a lot too!
  • Loraine Howard iii
    Thanks everybody for the help so far. I've been tweaking for a couple days and I think i'm done. I added more definition in certain areas to exaggerate her look. You can see the changes in the image below. Don't pay attention to the stretching in the top neck area where the hexagon pattern is, that will be covered by hair or I will fix it. The backward Nike logo on the right shoe as well will be fixed. I'm so close to finish this, I decided i'll go all out on the hair and make it like my Zbrush hair or similar. The process should be faster since I did the other hair style in hair farm.

forum.jpg
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I've figured out something that's been bothering me about the eyes - they don't have feminine lashes. In the original render, she has very short, sparse, masculine lashes. In the most recent shots it's hard to tell if she has any lashes at all. Check the paintover to see the difference it makes. Added hair to make her look a bit more normal.
    34och.jpg
    I think this is important for she hulk, because while she is varying degrees of muscly depending on the artist, she is ALWAYS very feminine. Like if a Victoria's Secret model hit the gym and chugged protein shakes.
  • Loraine Howard iii
    dirigible- OK, I think I add more lashes just by painting them.