Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Body Modelling - Male - Stafford Uni Assignment

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Nemecys polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys,

This semester moving on from head modelling we have now moved onto body modelling, so in an attempt to get as much feedback as possible i thought it would be a good idea to post my updates here as well as on my uni forums.

So here it goes

My initial idea, and characters i'm looking to base it off

FBVhS.jpg

My Model and some of the references im using

Yqzrg.jpg

and here is some progress i made so far, it is rather small but im looking at the small changes that affect the Turbosmooth modifier so that it is a effective as possible when it comes to the sculpting section of the project

y9Zgx.jpg

This was a look at defining the Lats in the model aswell which i feel worked fairly well, also helped me make the start of the armpit

T0dLb.jpg

Now i'm off to find some techniques on how to move on from this point, as i totally hate the arms and leg section of the model they always come out so poorly and i want to find the best technique to suit me

Replies

• Beanwright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good start. The model seems fairly flat chested. In retrospect to the reference images, it could do with some slight toning. Perhaps it's just the angle of the shot. Looking good though. :)
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update, bit of a problem with the arms and the shape and definition but i really don't feel lie cutting in muscle definition especially in 3ds max, the shapes a bit off and tubular but that can all be fixed nicely in Z brush later on.

4h6mz.jpg
  • purkie103
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It can be fixed in zbrush later on but changing the for to much might mean you have to retopologies the model later on try and get the form as close to what you want as you can, it could save you alot of work later on. because if you get it right then all you will have to do is bake the norms and textures onto this model. instead of having to make changes to fits the forms again.

Ill leave that because it may still be valid but after typing that i then remember your base mesh is naked, and i assume you plan to cloth your character so if you add the clothes in zbrush you will have to retopo anyway.
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    purkie103 wrote: »
    It can be fixed in zbrush later on but changing the for to much might mean you have to retopologies the model later on try and get the form as close to what you want as you can, it could save you alot of work later on. because if you get it right then all you will have to do is bake the norms and textures onto this model. instead of having to make changes to fits the forms again.

Ill leave that because it may still be valid but after typing that i then remember your base mesh is naked, and i assume you plan to cloth your character so if you add the clothes in zbrush you will have to retopo anyway.

Thats a very valid point, the model will stay naked, its a project on us to grab correct anatomical form.

But your idea on maximizing the effectiveness of the base mesh so that once its sculpted it will be less work to retopologise, but i just thought the ability to sculpt does affect the layers below, so in a sense, the lowest sub div in my sculpt will look the same as the work i put in my base mesh, and i find it much easier to in Zbrush.

But i will try and give it a shot once the model is more complete, its always much harder when he only has half his body :P

Thanks tho :)
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New update,

My previously preferred method of modelling involved, evenly applying detail throughout the model as i went,

So instead i went from the method of purely modelling from a normal box, and from there added edge loops where necessary and i am now focusing on cutting in detail and flow in the muscle as to make it easier when i come to create the low poly

aQ6ux.jpg
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another Quick update, spent a bit of time adding some actual shape to the back and buttocks, doesn't look amazing when Sub D, but thats alright, it still holds the key parts where i want for additional detailing.

Now im finished focusing on the torso ill move to the arms elbows knees and legs and give them some clear bold definition

BBnYU.jpgFbkQb.jpg4BvCv.jpg
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so far progressing a bit slowly, but its giving me alot of time to think about what im doing rather than just doing things and having to go back and undo alot of things,

I have added some definition to the muscles and form of the base mesh, this should hopefully hold enough detail for sculpting inside of Zbrush and give me a decent starting point and clear enough guidelines to fill out.

IRLyJ.jpg
    7YIBL.jpg
    RKg3T.jpg

In its current very blocky form it clearly shows where most things are and some fairly clean definition, while some areas have been fairly exaggerated this is mainly to achieve more of an affect when a Turbosmooth is applied, meaning ill at least be able to see what i did in Zbrush rather than wasting loops with subtle changes.

L4Dig.jpg
    5QlY9.jpg

You can see it has managed it quite well and displayed the changes, although still quite subtle but still there enough to be used. While it does look very smooth and melted im still happy as it will be a very clean mesh for subdividing and sculpting .

C&C me please before i get too happy with this work xD
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    You could add some loops to the forearms and lower legs if you plan to sculpt him.
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G wrote: »
    You could add some loops to the forearms and lower legs if you plan to sculpt him.

I will add those once ive added my feet and hands, as to add as much form as possible without affecting the shape or the hands and feet before they start.

Bit of work on the feet now, which im really happy with, they're my first ever feet, they barely took any time and i feel as though they look liek very accurate feet.
    9g33H.jpg
    LbSfW.jpg
    SZkvl.jpg

Oddly the turbosmooth and symmetry on the feet seems to make the left foot look a bit weird, but ill have a pan around, the toes currently look quite square but nothing a quick loop select and scale wont fix .

ip4yt.jpg
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Each toe has as much, if not even more, polygons than the rest of the foot. I'd guess that this is too dense. As far as I'm aware of it you want to get an even polygon distribution over your whole mesh. Meaning that smaller details have less polygons and vice versa.
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seirei wrote: »
    Each toe has as much, if not even more, polygons than the rest of the foot. I'd guess that this is too dense. As far as I'm aware of it you want to get an even polygon distribution over your whole mesh. Meaning that smaller details have less polygons and vice versa.

I was thinking that, but this was the method we were taught, cause we were also warned alot of people last year didnt define the toes so there for lost marks :S , so its a bit confusing what do you reckon i should do?

add more geometry to the foot or take some out the toes? cause i dont wanna lose marks but i dont want a shit model D: URHRHRHRHR
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Remove loops from the toes.

Also worth pointing out that your topology distribution doesn't need to be even, having more geo in the hands/feet/face is useful if you want to put more detail into them.

In general having evenly distributed topology will help you avoid distortion problems while sculpting but it isn't necessarily ideal. What you mainly want is polygons that are mostly square, and limit the amount of long rectangular polygons in the mesh (like the ones you have in the leg)

Edit: This ONLY applies to base meshes that will be used for sculpting by the way... NOT final game ready meshes.
  • Nemecys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bibendum wrote: »
    Remove loops from the toes.

Also worth pointing out that your topology distribution doesn't need to be even, having more geo in the hands/feet/face is useful if you want to put more detail into them.

In general having evenly distributed topology will help you avoid distortion problems while sculpting but it isn't necessarily ideal. What you mainly want is polygons that are mostly square, and limit the amount of long rectangular polygons in the mesh (like the ones you have in the leg)

Edit: This ONLY applies to base meshes that will be used for sculpting by the way... NOT final game ready meshes.

Ahhh of course i totally wasnt thinking straight,
    Okay thanks for refreshing my mind, i was too busy trying to sculpt useful shape and form, and totally forgot about the fact the base mesh has no real tri count, ill be sure to add the loops in at the end where appropriate,

currently im trying to give me self an impression of what the low poly may look like. Before overwhelming myself with none defining edge loops, but thanks i had totally forgot about how limitless this can be.