Home Unreal Engine

Unreal X-Editor

ryanjon2040
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ryanjon2040 polycounter lvl 5
My first Unreal Script Editor smile.png

Description:
Unreal X-Editor is my new editor for creating/editing Unreal Script files. Unreal X-Editor is packed with rich features that makes Unreal Scripting easier for both beginners and experts. Listed are the features of Unreal X-Editor.

Features:
  • Class Tree Viewer
  • Autocomplete
  • Declaration Autocomplete
  • Code Folding
  • C# Style Commenting
  • Syntax Highlighting
  • Line Numbers
  • Auto Indent
  • Basic Preset Scripts
  • Run UDK Editor from Unreal X-Editor
  • Run UDK Game from Unreal X-Editor
  • Compile/Full Compile Scripts from Unreal X-Editor
  • 8 Skins to change the Look And Feel of Unreal X-Editor

Unreal X-Editor is free for Commercial and Non-Commercial use. If you like this app, please Donate to help keep this project alive.

New VS2010 Skin:
front.png
Visit Unreal X-Editor Blog

To run No-Ribbon Version, please refer to the Help file that comes with Unreal X-Editor

NOTE: Unreal X-Editor requires .NET Framework 3.5 or higher to work

Please post your bugs/suggestions/feedback here.

Replies

  • passerby
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 10
    what advantage would there be using this over just visualstudio, notepadd++ or vim?

    seems all of those could be configured to do the same, and be more custmizable.
  • salochin59
    Nice. I will have to try this out. I have been using ConTEXT. I have been avoiding visualstudio. Keep up the good work.
  • tristamus
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    How awesome this must be for UnrealScripters. Wish I knew how to script ;D
  • Parkar
    Cool, gona have to try this. Only feature I am missing from the list is a calss tree browser to quickly find classes. Svn integration wouldn't hurt either.

    I'll give you some feedback after trying this out.

    Is it really possible to get autocomplete to work with uscript in notepad++ or vim?

    Even the visual studio solution is lacking a bit here as it can't autocomplete in all cases.

    Personally, a full featured soltuion for Eclipse would be my first choice (We use this at work so it's mostly about what I am used to). Even considered making one my self but it would be yet another project in the big pile that never seem to get finished.
  • ryanjon2040
    Offline / Send Message
    ryanjon2040 polycounter lvl 5
    Parkar wrote: »
    Cool, gona have to try this. Only feature I am missing from the list is a calss tree browser to quickly find classes. Svn integration wouldn't hurt either.

    I'll give you some feedback after trying this out.

    Is it really possible to get autocomplete to work with uscript in notepad++ or vim?

    Even the visual studio solution is lacking a bit here as it can't autocomplete in all cases.

    Personally, a full featured soltuion for Eclipse would be my first choice (We use this at work so it's mostly about what I am used to). Even considered making one my self but it would be yet another project in the big pile that never seem to get finished.

    Class Tree Viewer has been added....Please test it out and share your feedback. :)

    Am not sure about adding autocomplete in Notepad++ or Vim...
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    cheers for sharing :) this looks very interesting
  • ryanjon2040
    Offline / Send Message
    ryanjon2040 polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks r_fletch_r....Dont forget to download and test it and share your feedback :)
  • Parkar
    Class Tree Viewer has been added....Please test it out and share your feedback. :)

    Am not sure about adding autocomplete in Notepad++ or Vim...

    Wow that was fast :).

    While the tree view you added is useful and faster than fetching files externally, what I was thinking of was an inheritance tree. I would call the current view a package view and make both available as tabs. Edit: The actor browser in unrealed is a good example of what I mean.

    Seems something is broken for me as the text editor is giving me a lot of spaces between each keyword and some characters are missing. It worked great for my brother yesterday though. I tried switching skins while going through the options which my brother didn't do so maybe that's what triggered it. Let me know if you want a screen shot of what it looks like.

    Due to this bug I didn't get to test it so much yet. we tried the auto-complete some yesterday on my bothers PC though. We only managed to get it to auto-complete functions. Not sure if it is a limitation so far or a bug but I would like to at least auto-complete local and member variables as well.

    Some way to rigger it without typing anything as well would be great like ctrl+space in visual studio.

    The question about notepad++ and vim was more directed at passerby. While visual studio and wotgreal are more powerful than unreal-x in it's current form I haven't found any working solutions for notepad++ or vim. Sure you can quiet easily get some syntax highlighting but I haven't seen any solutions to code completion or class trees of uscript.
  • Shuriken UK
    This almost makes me want to start TRYING to learn the first steps of Unrealscript again, even though my brain cant handle this madness! Gave it a shot about a year ago, managed to figure out the absolute basics of the structure, and object calling, but even that racked the hell out of my brain. I guess I'm only suited to the art side of things, but eff it, I think I'll give it another go, this is pretty appetising! Thanks
  • ryanjon2040
    Offline / Send Message
    ryanjon2040 polycounter lvl 5
    Parkar wrote: »
    Seems something is broken for me as the text editor is giving me a lot of spaces between each keyword and some characters are missing. It worked great for my brother yesterday though. I tried switching skins while going through the options which my brother didn't do so maybe that's what triggered it. Let me know if you want a screen shot of what it looks like.

    Due to this bug I didn't get to test it so much yet. we tried the auto-complete some yesterday on my bothers PC though. We only managed to get it to auto-complete functions. Not sure if it is a limitation so far or a bug but I would like to at least auto-complete local and member variables as well.

    Can you please provide a screenshot.
  • Parkar
    The problem is gone now and can't see to reproduce it. I'll send a screen if it happens again.
  • osman
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 15
    Looks good, here's a couple of features that I think would be nice ( perhaps they're there but I could not find them)

    -rightclick->go to definition/decleration on parent class/functions/vars would be nice.
    -opening multiple files and being able to dock/move them around etc.
    -autocomplete like feature would be good too.
    -a tool to view all available variables from current class(plus the whole hierarchy perhaps?)
    -I had more, but I forgot to write them down. It looks useful, keep up the good work.
  • ryanjon2040
    Offline / Send Message
    ryanjon2040 polycounter lvl 5
    osman wrote: »
    Looks good, here's a couple of features that I think would be nice ( perhaps they're there but I could not find them)

    -rightclick->go to definition/decleration on parent class/functions/vars would be nice.
    -opening multiple files and being able to dock/move them around etc.
    -autocomplete like feature would be good too.
    -a tool to view all available variables from current class(plus the whole hierarchy perhaps?)
    -I had more, but I forgot to write them down. It looks useful, keep up the good work.
    Thanks for the suggestions osman. Autocomplete feature is already there. For the multiple files opening, I will try to include it soon. A problem is actually preventing from doing it. By the way i updated the program. Please see first post.
  • JValencia
    Offline / Send Message
    JValencia polycounter lvl 10
    This is the only feature that is stopping me from using this at the moment, which osman mentioned:
    -opening multiple files and being able to dock/move them around etc.

    That one is a huge deal-breaker for me.

    Other than that, your UScript editor is great! It pretty much has everything I need to script all my classes. Keep up the good work! =]

    Oh, and a Polycount Skin would be a cool thing to add =P
  • ryanjon2040
    Offline / Send Message
    ryanjon2040 polycounter lvl 5
    This is the only feature that is stopping me from using this at the moment, which osman mentioned:
    -opening multiple files and being able to dock/move them around etc.

    That one is a huge deal-breaker for me.

    Other than that, your UScript editor is great! It pretty much has everything I need to script all my classes. Keep up the good work! =]

    Oh, and a Polycount Skin would be a cool thing to add =P
    Yes....multi tab is a great feature. Am working on to implement it :)
  • ryanjon2040
    Offline / Send Message
    ryanjon2040 polycounter lvl 5
    Development screenshots of version 2.0

    Dock Panels are available:
    dockintro.png
    Imageshack

    Detail Log Panel Docked to Left Side (NOTE: Compile Output will now show on Output Panel):
    detaillogside.png
    Imageshack

    Again i rearranged the docks:
    docked.png
    ImageShack

    Dock Autohide:
    autohide.png
    ImageShack

    Tab Pages:
    tabse.png
    Imageshack

    Startup Page (Can navigate to UDK Forums):
    startuppagebe.png
    Imageshack
  • ryanjon2040
    Offline / Send Message
    ryanjon2040 polycounter lvl 5
    No-Ribbon version:
    noribbon.png
    Imageshack

    noribbondock.png
    Imageshack

    NOTE: Non-Ribbon version is only available via commandline
  • osman
    Offline / Send Message
    osman polycounter lvl 15
    Great stuff, now all you need is to add some debugging and it's perfect.

    Perhaps this can help you: http://code.google.com/p/unreal-debugger/
  • Pampers
    nice updates
    can you add an option to run the game from x-editor with -log enabled?
  • ryanjon2040
    Offline / Send Message
    ryanjon2040 polycounter lvl 5
    osman wrote: »
    Great stuff, now all you need is to add some debugging and it's perfect.

    Perhaps this can help you: http://code.google.com/p/unreal-debugger/
    Thank you for the link osman. I will definitely look into it :)
    Pampers wrote: »
    nice updates
    can you add an option to run the game from x-editor with -log enabled?
    Done that. This will be available in v2.0 :)
  • ryanjon2040
    Offline / Send Message
    ryanjon2040 polycounter lvl 5
    New Blog is now online

    Click Here or see first post
  • ryanjon2040
    Offline / Send Message
    ryanjon2040 polycounter lvl 5
    v2.0 (BETA) is available. Please visit Unreal X-Editor Blog
Sign In or Register to comment.