Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Bese Mesh (famale)

This is a Project for university to create a base mesh for sculpting on in ZBrush

my reffenece is the woman ten 24 used to create a female base

woman004.jpg

I tried using box modelling technique to start off with but found that planar modelling was much easier to control and more precise for the placement

if you would like the full reference image you can go on to facebook and look for ten24 they have many useful downloads on there :D or follow this link

Ten24 Facebook

Replies

• Dan!
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    probably a bit excessive for a base mesh also some of the polygon density changes that work for this type of modeling are less than ideal for a base.

see also;
    http://wiki.polycount.com/BaseMesh?highlight=%28%5CbCategoryCharacterModeling%5Cb%29
  • Peter.3dartist
    forgot to put that its turbo smoothed to check to the construction for zbrush, but yes I see were the density changes and ill address that now thanks for the crit :D and references
  • GoldBlackWolf
    Offline / Send Message
    GoldBlackWolf polycounter lvl 12
    Hi, Looking at your topology its a bit all over the place for a base mesh (even with turbo smooth). Are you planning to sculpt the model? - If you are then you might want to alter your flows to something more similar to this:

http://3docean.net/item/generic-female-low-poly-base-mesh-/rotating_preview/164887

It will help define the anatomy better; and also help defining detail if you are going to sculpt it, different sized quads will mean you will have areas on your model that you can get loads of detail in and other larger areas - not so much!. Keep at it though :)
  • Peter.3dartist
    re-worked almost all of the topology I probably made it a bit too high detailed for a base mesh for scripting with. although it is high detailed it holds most of the muscle structures now so sculpting might be easier with the topology.

FinishedBase.jpg

The only other thing is that I switch between high density areas on the head not quite sure how to fix that.
  • mr_ace
    Offline / Send Message
    mr_ace polycounter lvl 9
    in terms of a sculpting basemesh, there's little need to add detail anywhere, all you really want is a clean quadded model with evenly spaced polygons, that will allow you to add all the necessary detail. There's no need to define anything such as the belly button, nipples etc, as they're easily sculpted in, and doing so just adds problems like pinching or areas of too dense polygons.

Also, the less you define in the basemesh, the more you have to think about what you're doing while sculpting, which is great practice for a beginner. Here's the one I like to use on the left:

GjaC0.jpg

Because it barely resembles a person when you start out, you're really forced to think about anatomy objectively, and you learn a lot in the process.
    Then the middle version is what it ends up looking like after sculpting. The right hand one is retopoligised from the finished sculpt