please I need this
I'm tearing hairs out trying to get it right over 3 months now

Any help would be appreciated

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    A good start would be to give us an image large enough to see what you've actually got there.

I'd suggest the black lining on the chest might be adding to what your boss is seeing as "toon-like" but why not just go ahead and ask him what he's talking about?
  • confracto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    confracto polycounter lvl 11
    the colours also look to high contrast and saturated
    (you have lots of REALLY DARK/black, and lots of very saturated red)
    while these colours are found on real animals, they're often not found together
    you might benefit from looking at some lizard photo reference for saturation and contrast values.

also, I'd fix the weird hard edges on the horns at the sides of the head
  • haikai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haikai polycounter lvl 8
    Prob should be in the P&P section?

The normal map looks problematic first of all... I really don't think you should be getting such extreme colors in there. You should post your low poly model as well. The textures are way unbalanced in the ways the others have mentioned above.

Starting with clean bakes for normals and AO is pretty essential for good, realistic results. View your model in Maya/Max/whatever 3d app you're using with just the normal map on first and make sure that the result looks as close to your high res source mesh as possible. If it doesn't look right there then it's not going to get any better later on...

Honestly, I'm not sure if it's even worth using a normal map on as asset that is only 1294 triangles. With specs like that you'd probably get better results just painting diffuse textures.
  • Resxct
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    There is a lot of wasted texture space there. You really have a lot of room to work with, and putting in that extra time with the UV's always pays off. You will get better texel density and your textures won't look so blurry. Also the textures seem really bland, I think you need to get some reference on scales, and other reptilian skins and see how the fit together and transition. It may help bring more continuity to the piece and increase it's realism. Keep up the hard work mate.