Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK - Deus Ex - FEMA Boss Room [WIP]

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
z0ltan polycounter lvl 13
Hey polycount! I started working on a UDK scene based on a Deus Ex concept. Everything is WIP and I welcome any and all feedback. Looking forward to see what you guys think.

Current Progress:

deus11.png

Concept:
http://barontieri.deviantart.com/art/DX-BT-FemaBoss-258300787

deusex_FEMAbossroom_ThierryDoizon.jpg

Replies

• snow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snow polycounter lvl 8
    good start, i would add some more supporting edges to those pillars, they don't look like they're smoothing nicely.

the scale looks pretty accurate to me, keep at it :)
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Off to a good start, the scale looks good. Now for some quick crits:

If you look at the concept, you see that the yellow pillars have a decal on them that you have missed, breaks up the pillars nicely. Also your resolution is hurting the pollars a bit, it looks noisy, but you can tell that the noise is lowrez, scrap the noise, and add a detailnormalmap that you can tile for noise instead, will allow you to get some more accurate resolution for that kind of surface detail.

You have also went ahead and added the wires running along the pillars, which is great, however in the concept you can see that the wires have larger shapes. Your dual wires are running to closely to eachother to read as two wires from a distance, separate them more, and make the wires a bit thicker so its easier to read from a distance. Also adding a few angles and bends to the wires is good, breaks up the monotony.

And I agree with snow about the pillars, dont look like they are smoothing properly, you can easily afford a few extra polygons inte corners of those pillars.

The rail-system in the ceiling is also missing the middle detail, its wayy to thin in your version, it easily deserves to be modelled out properly in the lowpoly, and be alot wider in the concept, so it reads better : ) Just some ideas, you are off to a good start.
  • Kharn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kharn polycounter lvl 8
    Your useing UDK so you could simply edit the normals so that the pillars have better smoothing (use the FBX format to preserve the normals)
    As seen on the Polycount wiki :NormalMap?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=oliverio_bevel_normals.gif
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

@Snow: I messed with the pillars a bit. Added a few extra edges in and adjusted the smoothing groups. Seems to have done the trick!

@Snefer: Added some decals and a detail normal map. I think the noise/intensity of the spec is washing it out. Once I get up close I can see it, but from the shot I really can't. I will probably scale it up and see if I can get something that looks good.

I increased the thickness on the pillar wires and the wires suspending the center lights. It might be a bit too thick though, thoughts?

Haven't touched the rail system up top yet, soon though!

@Kharn: Thanks for the tip! I have been using .fbx for exports but I haven't had a chance to read Epic's FBX workflow documentation. There is probably some stuff I have been missing.

I messed with the lighting a bit and it still needs a lot of work. Thanks again for the feedback! More soon.

Deus02.jpg
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
    Wow this is looking pretty great. How closely are you trying to hit that concept art? Are you going to try and nail those strange paint strokes on the back wall? They really add to the feel of the room.
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking alot better keep it up.
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Stinkhorse: Thanks for taking a look! All the textures are still pretty wip so that back wall will definitely get more love before this is finished.

Played with the crane rail system up top, changed up the floor, and added in a few more deco meshes. Also added an image outside to get rid of the giant black hole :) Thanks for looking, more soon!

deus03.jpg
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep trucking man this is coming along nice.
  • XRevan23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    XRevan23 polycounter lvl 15
    Great work so far, coming together very nicely, the only thing I would say is the yellow ground vent in the concept looks pretty flat and yours has some parts that are at different levels. Keep it up.
  • Joshflighter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshflighter polycounter lvl 9
    I love it! Keep at it!
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soooo long time no update. Built a new computer last week and bought Deus Ex (bad idea). Playing with textures and lighting. Lightmass is kicking my ass!

@XRevan23 - Yeah that grate is pretty rough. I will work on getting that and the rest of the geo fixed up and into the level.

@Ryan and Josh - Thanks for looking guys, more soon!

I feel like I might be jumping around too much. Going forward this week I am going to focus on getting all the models/normals completed. There is quite a bit of detail I need to model. Thanks for taking a look.

deus04.jpg
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    added in some more meshes. I ended up deleting all the lights and starting over with the lighting. I think I messed with too much stuff and it was all wonky, so I went simpler this time.

deus05.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    really nice, I think the lighting is too soft, look how big the difference between the light side of the pillar and the dark side of the pillar is on the concept, maybe the pillar needs a little reflection to it too?
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    What g3d said, but also bring back the saturation! :)
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ged and Fearian - Thanks for taking a look guys. So I messed with the lighting a bunch and I think I ended up making it too dark. I am going to keep messing with it. I also adjusted the saturation on a few of the textures, it was looking really bleh.

deus06.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice keep going with the textures and saturation and then look into getting that misty bloom effect around the lighting.
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And the adventure continues. Last update was really dark, tried to make it better. I think it is still too bright on the ceiling of each floor (where the blue lights are) so I will mess with that. The bloom is really bright to nothing (no cool misty gradient) so I need to play with that.

deus07.png
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    The composition of the image is coming together really nice.

What does confuse me though, is how you've gone through the trouble of imitating the original concept so closely on everything, yet your rear wall is completely different. Not that I'm complaining as I love the lighting contrast that it creates and I prefer it. I just thought I'd ask why you haven't afforded yourself the same freedoms with the rest of the image :)
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    Wow, looking great! much better. Try adjusting the falloff of the blue lights rather than their strength to keep the colour there but get some dark patches in between.

What's the plan with the big doors? at the moment the perspective and the bright outside light draws the eye to them. You could do with some more foreground detail too!
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @SirCalalot : You bring up some good questions that I have often asked myself. Originally I was thinking about ways to push beyond the concept, and the door idea came up. At first I was worried, as the atmosphere in the concept would more or less be destroyed by adding in the giant light source that is the sun, but then I decided I liked the idea of the contrast. Honestly the bulk of my time has been spent wrapping my head around shaders and lighting within UDK, but I will try to push further to make the piece my own. Thanks!

@fearian : I will mess with the falloff for sure. At first I was trying to adjust too many things at once and was having issues tracking which settings did what. I have since toned that down and am taking baby steps :). I think you are right on the money about the falloff.

As for foreground detail, I hear ya. The whole scene feels like it is lacking detail and the little touches that will make it interesting (or hopefully interesting). I will try to get some more of that stuff into my updates!

Just getting done with work now, should have another update posted before the sun comes up :)! Thanks for taking a look.
  • SirCalalot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SirCalalot polycounter lvl 10
    What's the function of the room/building by the way?
    If you decide on that, then we can figure out what extra details can be added to the foreground in a more natural-looking manner. :)
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    looking very cool
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Warby and Luke - Thanks for taking a look!

@SirCalalot - Right now I think of it as a storage facility of sorts. In the game it was a boss battle room. At first glance the crane system in the middle doesn't make any sense to me. The track it follows wouldn't be able to put stuff on the different floors (I will look around for some ref to see if i can find a similar set up), so maybe some sort of forklift thing would work well. I will definitely think about this some more.

So I have a sort of workflow question for you guys. So far I have been jumping around a lot, leaving one prop half finished to start on another, or play with lighting. Do you guys block it out, then completely finish one piece at a time? I have been doing once over quick textures on most of the stuff then moving on to the next piece. I would imagine more planning ahead of time would make it pretty easy to understand what each piece needs to look like and minimize the risk of having to redo a bunch of stuff.

Here is my latest update. Played with the lighting a little bit, It got a bit too dark again by the blue lights. Blocked out the exterior real quick and put in the skydome. I spent like a whole day fighting with what I thought was a normal map issue on an symmetrical object, to only find out it was my lighting messing with my head :(

deus08.png
  • biofrost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    biofrost polycounter lvl 12
    I normally do what you do and jump around a lot and I have found it to not be the best way of doing things. It ends up screwing up your workflow jumping around like that. I know it can be hard but with my next scene I am making sure I block it all out first, then do my unwrapping then texturing and last lighting.

Ultimately it is whatever works best for you but I found it to be counter productive when working on my last scene.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
    That scene is looking awesomeness! I really like your material definition :)

As for workflow I have always build my environments in stages. Like get a solid blockout. Then go through each pieces making a high and then low then baking it. After all the Low polies, normal maps and AOs are in engine I then go and texture everything. It just makes more sense in my OCD head! I very rarely have to redo stuff. Having said this I have just gone back to a project I started in the summer and I had a few baked meshes but I had to block the rest in and yeah it feels a bit uncomfortable tbh. I don't think I shall do it this way again! I have had to go back and remake some high pieces because of the rest of the blockout etc. I don't know, I think if you have a solid enough blockout then its fine to jump around as really you shouldn't need to go back and redo anything.

But yeah its all down to preferences I think!
  • lincolnhughes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lincolnhughes polycounter lvl 10
    z0ltan wrote: »
    @Warby and Luke - Thanks for taking a look!

So I have a sort of workflow question for you guys. So far I have been jumping around a lot, leaving one prop half finished to start on another, or play with lighting. Do you guys block it out, then completely finish one piece at a time? I have been doing once over quick textures on most of the stuff then moving on to the next piece. I would imagine more planning ahead of time would make it pretty easy to understand what each piece needs to look like and minimize the risk of having to redo a bunch of stuff.

it depends on what you're working on of course, but it definitely doesn't hurt to quickly rough things in before spending a shit ton of time on something, only to take a look at it in the end and realize it doesn't work for the overall design (why concept is usually imperitive). With something like this, where it's a "show piece", so no gameplay is needed, and you have a fleshed out concept to begin with, it probably wouldn't hurt too much to quickly rough some details in, lay out those uv's, plan out your textures properly and throw some values in the diffuse, toss a quick lighting pass in there, then finish each prop to their highest level of detail one after the other. I find if I start doing 1/2 the details of a texture (after the rough in phase) then move onto something else, it usually takes me twice as long to complete it. Bit of the "scatter brain effect".

I'm sure there are a ton of other methods you could use to complete a scene, and each person works differently. You just have to find out what works best for you and do that :)
  • Ryan Hawkins
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This scene is looking great Zoltan so much improvement here. I agree with Lincoln's workflow methods they seem to work here. The current workflow that you are using too though is not that bad either. You just need to have kind of an idea what the next jump to prop or area will be.

Keep it up!
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Biofrost, SaferDan, Lincolnhughes, Ryan - Thanks for the feedback guys, on both the scene and the workflow comments. I am definitely going to have to mess around with different workflows until I find something I like. Already on this project I feel that I have a better understanding as to what is slowing me down.

Here is the most recent update. Right now I am working on finishing off the assets I have and getting them fully completed (save any necessary tweaks at the end.)

deus09.png
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that Mass Effect is out of my system (at least the first play through), back to work! Started working on the door and made a crate! Looking for crits on the door, does it fit? The cube map is aligned all goofy, I think I am going to see if I can get reflections to work :\

deus10.png
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added in some fog. started detailing the outside a bit. Running through and cleaning up light maps and textures.

deus11.png
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    I think you need to align the "3xb" to something.
    In the original concept, it sits nicely in the corner of 2 lines.
    In your current version, those lines are gone. Thus the "3xb" is sitting there very loose and feels a bit misplaced.
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @lefix - Thanks for pointing that out. It was just kinda chillin in the middle all lost like.

Calling this guy done (for now). Still very open to any crits as I have a ways to go before someone will pay me to make environments for them :) To the next scene!

deusfinal_01.png

deusfinal_02.png
  • Captain Salty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The atmosphere you have created in this is great! Lovely work.