Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First time original work post-Ninja Character

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
spectre1130 polycounter lvl 6
Hi there. I am here to post my first 3d work for review. It is my fist ever character, and is definitely not a masterpiece. I had many major setbacks during the course of this which has taught me a lot along the way. I need loads of progress in the workflow department from unwrapping, texture definition, rigging, weighting, and modeling in general. Done in 3ds Max 2012(hmmph), and Photoshop CS5.
character_project_still.jpg
forumcharacter_project_still.jpg

Replies

• BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First glance, really dark lighting. I cant see any of the work you put in because its hiding in darkness :) Fix the lighting, then we can give you a better critique.
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure. I already ran the turntable renders and am now thinking I should have went lighter. Should I run another render for my project, or just adjust some levels in AE or Premiere? I can re-render another still pretty quickly or maybe just adjust the the Photoshop file.
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I this better???
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Would be worth getting this guy in a realtime renderer as it seems like you approached him in a game art sorta way? A little more of a breakdown would be awesome (wires, textures, ect.). :)
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll put some texture maps up, and some clay/wire-frame renders with some adjusted lighting an such, when I recover from school burnout and get some time in the next few days. I happened to win best final product in my class with this, so I guess he came out better than I first thought. I am surely looking forward to expanding my skills beyond this as it was a huge learning experience.
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are some odds and ends I just rendered out for review.
    t-pose_forum_wire.jpg

t-pose_forum_wire_02.jpg

t-pose_forum_wire_03.jpg

sword_forum_02.jpg

t-pose_forum_wire_04.jpg

sword_forum_01.jpg

Not the Mona Lisa in the way of modelling and lighting is just still kind of hard for me to nail down.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well this looks like a lot of wasted polygons here. You might want to delete some edgeloops. Especially the arms and the blade have way too much compaired to the rest. Try to keep everything even. What's the triangle count btw?
    If you want to get this guy ready to be used in a game I'd suggest to go for a low poly model to train modeling. If you have too much polygons they tend to get hard to control if you're not very experienced.
    Also I'd suggest you give yourself a limit on how much triangles you want this model to have. For example you could say 'Okay I want to make this character and only use 3000 tris' Then you start modeling and if you keep an eye on the tri-count you can see if you're going overboard with them or not.
    One last thing, try and look at the silhouette. Make a black material without the specularity and kill edge loops that don't affect the silhouette.

I hope this helps atleast a bit. :)
  • Donavonyoung
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Donavonyoung polycounter lvl 6
    Seirei wrote: »
    Well this looks like a lot of wasted polygons here. You might want to delete some edgeloops. Especially the arms and the blade have way too much compaired to the rest. Try to keep everything even. What's the triangle count btw?
    If you want to get this guy ready to be used in a game I'd suggest to go for a low poly model to train modeling. If you have too much polygons they tend to get hard to control if you're not very experienced.
    Also I'd suggest you give yourself a limit on how much triangles you want this model to have. For example you could say 'Okay I want to make this character and only use 3000 tris' Then you start modeling and if you keep an eye on the tri-count you can see if you're going overboard with them or not.
    One last thing, try and look at the silhouette. Make a black material without the specularity and kill edge loops that don't affect the silhouette.

I hope this helps atleast a bit. :)

Listen to this advice. It is right on with what needs to be done to make it really pop.
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am not going to improve this guy. As a first character model, I will just look at him and try to understand what I will do different next time. No use trying to cherry this guy IMHO.
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice though, much appreciated.
  • spectre1130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seirei: The poly count is around 14,000. 28,000 Tris.