Home Technical Talk

Creating Modular yet Broken Flyover ?

hello everyone!

first of all, i want to say hi to all people in this forum. i am a new member :)

straight to the case. i am in the middle of modelling a broken flyover. i intend to use it as a game asset (a static mesh) for UDK. i use reference from real life flyover originated from bandung, indonesia.

here is the picture of pasupati flyover :

pasupatiref.jpg

i intend to create an apocalyptic like scene with this flyover as a center figure. i want to create this flyover in half broken state. i am in the middle of modelling the street part.

i have questions regarding of this part.

this part of flyover will consists of several elements. including asphalt for road with white stripes, concrete like texture for the bottom part of flyover, and metal fence. in my mind, this will require a tileable textures combined with unique textures for each of broken parts.

my process starts with modelling a simple piece like this :

simple.jpg

i believe you could imagine how the uv map will look like with tileable textures applied to this.

next step. i then uv unwrap the street to tile it, then modelling the "eaten" parts of the street, selecting those eaten parts and re-unwrap them so it looks like something like this :

eatenparts.jpg

here is the uv map after i re-unwrap the model (with lots of overlapping) :

eatenuvs.jpg

i intend to continue my methods but i am thinking of asking questions and taking any suggestions for the sake of broaden my knowledge. i might use them, even recreate my model if i need to.

my questions are :

1. I intend to create the normal map using photoshop and crazybump, because i am not familiar with zbrush. with this kind of uv, will my method works? if you ever experienced a similar case, please share it.

2. is there any other methods or tips for creating this kind of modelling? if it is just a modular model or just a normal model i could tackle them. it is a new case for me and its confusing me.

3. if you have any tips, suggestions, links to related tutorials, please share it to me. i will really appreciate them.

that's all for now, i hope i wrote my question and explanation clearly. looking forward for your responses.

Replies

• Brendan
    Offline / Send Message
    Brendan polycounter lvl 8
    If you need to see the guts of something, and break it open, then build it as it would be built.

Separate meshed for the asphalt, the main concrete centre piece (bottom-most part), the outer pieces, the metal reinforcements through the concrete, the concrete barriers on the top.

Break everything down into squares, and on each side. So you'd have a square section of asphalt that makes up maybe 7 meters by 7 meters by 1 meter thick. Make a few of those. Same with the other parts. Then assemble.

Maybe have some parts that are designed to work explicitly with other parts, but even then, maintain as much modularity as possible.

If need be, you can hide broken bits behind non-broken bits.