Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fictional surviving Triceratops diary

For my advanced modelling in the games engine module at Stafford University I was given to brief to model a dinosaur of my choice and have it animated for UDK. It does not have to be true to life in the sense that some students are doing robot versions if they prefer hard surface modelling.

For mine I have chosen a Triceratops that of course survived extinction and has been tamed by a Comanche tribe.

TameTriceratops.jpg
Above is my current concept. I am thinking it might be improved with more war paint?

diary2.jpg
A start had to be made on the base mesh given this years time constraints. To help with any rigging the base pose will be with the back tail raised.
I am finding the biggest challenge with doing a dinosaur is that all the references I find are different from each other since no one has seen this animal in the flesh for real.

fanpopBreakdown.jpg
Here I have just done a rough possibility diagram for how mesh could flow but the areas I have highlighted in blue are the parts I will really need a good edge loop structure for given this model needs to be animated. Any thoughts on where I could go from here?

Replies