Home Technical Talk

Birthing new worlds (or What am i doing!?)

( i use blender, and unity 3d will be the engine that will be used... for now...)

The Birthing of worlds...

The pains of learning...

I'm interested in embarking on a quest essentially, to really soak up info and knowledge and just generally find out how to do things, getting enough knowledge to creatively adjust my thinking, and to just get some flat out answers to basically creating things that i would like to.

In the realm of video games, and optimizing it, and making it look good.

I hope this is a good place to learn and grow.

Im essentially wanting to make 3d art, but explorable within a real time render. my pc isnt to good (ill get a new one sometime soon) but im wanting to make fairly optimized and good looking things, i want to learn tricks and tips.

__________________________________________________ ______________

1:

Here's a scenario, you close your eyes, its deep into the night and your sitting on the top of your house (a weird hobby of a person whom is involved in this story.)

He likes to survey the ambiance of the dark. Streetlights and the glow they give, the light that they gently give to a nearby tree in a quiet sub urban neighborhood, and likely the only sound you hear is the cry of the distant train and the hiss of cars passing on the highway out in the distance, and mostlikely the light breeze rustling the leaves of the trees... The far off distant lights of the city at the base of a great mountain.

Light pollution looks to fill the mostly cloudy sky.
_

How exactly could you produce a convincing and beautiful atmosphere like this? i see lights from my window, they have that glistening sort of glow, and ive seen textures in games that allow for sorts of things like that.

How are these applied? are they attachable to objects? ive seen basic things like textures you can see in an omnidirectional sort of fashion.

How to go about creating things to be dark, but not so much that the player cant see anything at all.

Sounds. illusions of things far away?

How do you make the pavement of a street have the glow of all those specs and rocks, having their own glimmer and pop. (im aware of something called normal mapping, and other mappings(though i dont know the differences really, or how to apply them)

Directional sounds

Glows, lights sources, camera movments, clouds that looks a little closer than hanging in the skybox... (how to even make a sky box?) With all that light pollution.

Painting textures, or Photoshopping them.

will the sky and the air come to life more with a little bit of fog or some kind of shader( not sure what a shader even is)

Wind nudging the trees gently.

__________________________________________________ ____________

As you can see its really complicated inside my head. haha. this is all stuff i would love to figure out over time, and how to pull a rich environment together.

And i have some more coherent questions here.

Ive seen countless videos demonstrating the suckitude, and the all encompassing power of the unity 3d engine. how do you get things looking good?

or is this easy, and there are just alot of idiots using this wonderful 3d game making program.

unity3d, can it's lens flares be totally customized and revamped?
_

I hope none of this just flat out confuses everyone.

_

How about useing one seamless texture on a full body multi seemed uv map( ive never unwrapped a uv, or even know what it means, lol) how can it blend? is it even possible to do so? say like Chain male.

Or any texture loop able or not, how can you get it to look like it is seamless and real.

How does water in video games work? obviously mostly its not fully dynamic. how can use textures or something to make it look good, and easily redistributable throughout a game .

_

Thanks for reading, lol if nothing else i hope you enjoyed my still unfulfilled ambient environment.

There's so many wonderful things you can do, Like Model the entire Serenity ship from fire fly, top to bottom and ever corridor. and then be able to fly it around lol, a flying level design, piloted by YOU.

Replies

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really, you need to just start looking up the info you need...its all available.

You can start by looking through here.

I'm not going to take the time to go through and answer all of your questions. You can answer pretty much all of these by doing your own research.

Ive seen countless videos demonstrating the suckitude, and the all encompassing power of the unity 3d engine. how do you get things looking good?

Unity is just a tool. The quality of work in it depends solely on the skill of the artist using it.
    Thanks for reading, lol if nothing else i hope you enjoyed my still unfulfilled ambient environment.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but nobody here is going to particularly enjoy reading a really long post describing what you want to do. What we would enjoy is to have a thread showing you attempting to make it, instead.

Seems like you have some ambition, so lets see you make some art. Good luck.
  • ageshero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well. its hard to know where i should fit in, because right now i want to , or at least be involved in, Modeling, painting, concepts, animations. Lighting, the whole vision i guess?

Im a pianist, singer, and terribly interested in Composing scores for original games too. but all the same, character design and enviromental design etc.

So my head is spinning with the prospect of the work it takes for all these things. and i know if i want to do a game or something, or get hired at some point, i cant do everything myself(and thank goodness).
  • ageshero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And questions like, Is rigging an animated character for game work differently. getting things so they dont clip through the character, say like goggles, which would (on a low poly model) be a textured strap, but on a model you need them to come up and out and around etc.
  • xXm0RpH3usXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xXm0RpH3usXx polycounter lvl 13
    gosh...
    first things first... there is an EDIT button >.>
    no need for duble posting i guess.

then... so what u essentially want to say is:
    Hi, I am a musical guy, got no clue about 3D, but hey, can anyone tell me how i produce really awesome art?
    What are you thinking? It takes years to get a feel for stuff like that. There is no "put your lightsource on x: 5, y: 20 and z:500 and your scene will look good"

There is a wiki and there is google.
    You say you know what normal maps are and that there are others, but then again you ask about them...
    www.lmgtfy.com/?q=normal map

Do you really think someone will take you by your hands and tell you every step? If your not going to get stuff done or information on your own and ask sppecific questions noone will help you... Nobody likes answering questions which are easy to answer, because it shows the oine who asked did not do his homework. And what you asked there is really generic AND well documented.