Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bar Daikaiju Environment

Intro
What's up everyone - browsed the forums for some time, haven't posted much though until now. I graduated from college within the past year (associates), and am focused on landing an environment artist position. I will be attending GDC come March, and I want to have a fresh main portfolio piece on my site since it's been awhile since I've updated it. I feel it no longer reflects my best work. I'm hoping creating this thread will have me take this environment to a whole new level in my work. So let's get to it!

Bar_Daikaiju_ban.jpg

Premise
So recently I played through the game Catherine, and really dug the small subtle environments the characters would go through. They have a couple Japanese bar/restaurant scenes. I also went to Japan 6 months back, and have been wanting to do an environment inspired by that. So I plan to do a fictional restaurant called Bar Daikaiju. It will be located in Tokyo, so a bit of claustrophia is a must. It will be 2 floors. 1st floor is basically a ramen house, while the 2nd is more of a bar/sit-down area. 2nd floor will be a tad bit more upscale.

Plan
I plan to rethink how I approach every step of the process of creating an environment. It's easy to get stuck doing things the same way, so I plan to kinda check myself every now and then. Part of that was creating this topic to get feedback/critiques. I plan on modeling in Max, texturing in Photoshop, and lighting/rendering in UDK. I don't know if I will need Zbrush for anything at the moment, but I'll keep it in mind. I'm a beginner when it comes to UDK/Zbrush, so a big part of this project is me learning the engine efficiently so I can demonstrate this to potential employers. I don't feel I can call myself an environment artist until I do this. So except a lot of questions in here as well probably :P

Schedule
I plan to have this completed within 4 weeks. If I can finish sooner, even better. I basically just want to have a revamped portfolio in time for GDC.

Reference
So I have a handful of images for reference, but here's a collage of the ones I'm focusing on mainly. I plan to have the 1st floor be more of a ramen house, while the 2nd floor is more bar/dinner oriented - just a tad bit more upscale. I included the well-known Bathhouse by Jordan Walker as reference as well, because of its expert use of UDK. That's what I want to strive for, and I like the steamy mood from it which could be used to a more minimal extent for the 1st floor ramen house.
reference_groupshot.jpg

Oh, and don't hold back on suggestions/feedback/critiques. I'm here to be toughly graded in order to reach my new potential. :poly123:

Replies

• S2Engine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine polycounter lvl 10
    Sweet, cool concept. Might want to check out Yakuza's environments, number 4 was pretty slick, especially the New Serena Bar.
  • bdsharlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S2Engine wrote: »
    Sweet, cool concept. Might want to check out Yakuza's environments, number 4 was pretty slick, especially the New Serena Bar.

Yes! Thank you for the tip. I played Yakuza 3 awhile ago. That game is crazy accurate to real architecture in Japan. I will definitely take a 2nd look at Serena.
  • tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    This will be interesting to see...
  • bdsharlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, instead of sketching, I did a quick block-in layout model - just to get an idea of how everything will be arranged. Sorry for the lack of a wireframe to tell objects apart easier, I just wanted to quick render my general layout plans. Proportions are exactly right either - just eyed-up for now. Next I will start doing some actual modeling.

2layout_model.jpg
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    Where is this bar? will be living in Tokyo from 1. April so need to check it out :)
    Cool concept. The Lightning looks quite complexe, would love seeing it done in CE3 since i prefer it's lightning.
  • bdsharlow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've been able to get back at this within the past couple days, so figured I'd post an update.

Basically just doing the modeling right now. I'm trying to make everything as modular as possible. I started changing all the unique meshes to the blue color.

I feel like I have most of the basic parts all modeled out. What's left is basically all the small props (dishes, bottles, cookware, etc) - which will take a bit, but I might come back to that later. Like I said earlier, I'm no pro at UDK yet, so I might texture/import the big stuff first to make sure everything goes smoothly and get the foundation set up. Then once I'm confident on that I can work on the smaller detailed pieces.

So I think I'll probably finish the major modular pieces tonight or tomorrow, and start messing with importing tomorrow.

modeling_progress.jpg

The scene feels pretty simple/empty as of right now, but once I start filling it with tables/chairs and later dishware, I know it will look a lot more crowded (in a good way). Nothing too high poly yet really, I think a lot of that will end up being in the dishes/bowls and whatnot later. I'm planning on going for the wooden look on the bar/tables like you would see in Japan, and there's not really a whole lot of curves. So the poly count should be pretty reasonable by the end. I will need to make sure I work extra hard on textures though so that everything still pops.