Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bus Stop 3d warm up

B.rar
null
Offline / Send Message
B.rar null
Hey everyone! I'm a new poster to Polycount and figured I'd throw some of my recent work up here.

So far it's been a progression over the past few months that I've been updating on my blog so I will just add what I've posted on my blog here.

Crits are most certainly welcome!

"Started a new project today seeing as how my portfolio lacks any sort of strong, realistic man made structures. I've started small since I'm just recently getting back into the swing of 3d modeling and decided to start with a bus stop. Reference and progress below."
Bus_stop_Madrid_243.jpg

Progress+day+1.jpg

" haven't had a whole lot of time to work on stuff due to holidays and working but here's what I've got so far. This week I am without my tablet so it'll be a bit rough as far as making anything wonderful looking."

SYYLL.jpg

"Damaged plexiglass... still needs quite a bit of work
to remove the awful seams and clean it up a bit."

Lan0a.jpg

"High poly started..."

Hjb0V.jpg

"Finished High Poly"

Highpoly.jpg

"Low Poly"

lowpoly.jpg

"Uv Layout"

UVlayout.jpg

"Basic diffuse plan"

BusStop_D.jpg

"Basic Projected Normals"

BusStop_N.jpg

"New Basic Diffuse. I decided to go with the color in the reference. The blue and yellow contrast was really fighting me the whole time."

BusStop_Dupdate.jpg

"Model in UDK. No Spec."

Update5.jpg

Replies

• B.rar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    B.rar null
    I was worried about the first post being too long so I'm breaking it up into pieces now.

This is the most recent update I've made...

Update_Spec+map+1.jpg

I removed the outer glass panels due to needing another diffuse to add the graffiti on the outside of the glass. At this time the glass panels on the back walls are missing a diffuse, and the panel on the top has the wrong diffuse assigned to it, but that will be fixed in the next update.

I also feel that the bars on the roof need additional polys as they don't feel round enough.

Update_Spec+map+2.jpg

Update_Spec+map+3.jpg

Current Diffuse. Still in progress.

BusStop_D.jpg

Current Spec map, Still in progress.

BusStop_S.jpg
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Decent start.
    Ideally the advertisements would be separate materials, so they could be varied. Same deal with the graphitti, different material, decals.
  • BarnabyJones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great work so far my only note is the graffiti.
    busstopd.jpg
    As a former graffiti artist I notice a lot of people place graffiti in unrealistic places or in unrealistic ways. I think its helpful to put yourself in the shoes of a graffiti artist. In your case one waiting for the bus. A bus stop is a fairly public space and graffiti artists tend to keep to basic hand styles (or "tags" as they are known in the non graffiti world) when they are pressed for time and space. If they want more detail they will put on a sticker. Also although most people associate graffiti art with layering it is considered an act of disrespect to write over someone else s work and you really don't see it much unless graffiti artists are competing for space. You might want to be aware of the angle you are placing graffiti too most graffiti is horizontal and it takes a particularly skilled graffiti artist to write side ways. Also there is a technique in graffiti where you use a sander drill bit to etch into glass this is something you would see on a bus station.
    antigraffiti.jpg
    again great work so far looking forward to seeing the finished product
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    The graffiti really needs to be worn down more. Find a grunge texture in photoshop, and convert it to black and white, and use that as a mask on your graffiti to give it some transparency. Also try using photo sourced graffiti that is already worn down, you will get a much more natural result