Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modern Oil Tanker

I started this last tuesday and worked a few hours a day. Final polycount came out at little less than 12000 tris. Mapped it on a single 2048 texture except for the railings and ladders which use a tiling 64px texture.

t1.png
t2.png
t3.png
t4.png
t5.png

Further plans involve making some microdestruction on it and import it into Strike Fighters 2 so I can drop bombs on it.

Replies

• gsokol
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol polycounter lvl 14
    Looks pretty cool.

I think having the green hull with the green details on top of the boat is too bland. Maybe make the hull a different color or something?

I feel like you could have saved a lot of space by making this with tiled textures, or modular pieces.
  • Evil Flower
    I was actually initially considering to use tiled textures on it but went for this approach since with only one uv channel I'd likely have had to split up the deck into 4-5 parts anyway to accomodate the shading from the various structures and fittings.

However I'm planning on modelling the Emma Maersk which is a far larger ship and there I'll definitely try modular sections.
  • S_ource
    Offline / Send Message
    S_ource polycounter lvl 9
    Haha i thought it was a real image at first looks really good at distance anyway. :)
    But as gskol mentiond you could have saved alot of space and get higher resolution on the model if you would have used tiled textures. but if you are going to see it from the distance its on the images i dont really think its nessasery.